• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

21 hours ago, Redondo said:

S4 of Goliath 

Great ending to an excellent show

👍

I came here to post something similar. Just finished Season 4 and thoroughly enjoyed it. There is a lot of originality here, an artfully directed excellent script delivered by some nuanced and charismatic performances from Billy-Bob Thornton and Nina Arianda in particular. Wonderfully weird in places, it's so much more than your standard legal drama and draws you right in to Billy-Bob's world. Brilliant stuff.

(Patty Solis-Papagian has quickly become one of my all-time favourite fictional characters.)  

The Many Saints of Newark - I don't know if I was expecting too much being a Sopranos fan but I was very underwhelmed by this. It's supposed to be about the making of Tony Soprano but is really more about Dickie Moltisanti making his way in the world of organised crime, but it's done it a very broad-brush style that offers little depth and little explanation about why Tony ended up quite so damaged as an adult, with the actors seeming to use it as a vehicle for doing impressions of their favourite Sopranos characters rather than adding their own layer of complexity. If I didn't know better I would think this was fan made content.

As a stand-alone mafia film I'd give it 4/10 - so many better examples of this type of retro gangster film like Once Upon a Time In America, A Bronx Tale, Godfather 2 etc etc etc.

As a film as part of the Sopranos franchise I'd give it a 3/10 as it falls well short of the quality and depth of the original series.

Netflix:  Squid Game  A Korean version of the Hunger Games.  It's also a trip of a series in that it's dubbed in Engrish and they have Subtitles.  And what they say, and what is typed out is like totally off.  But overall, kind of a bloody show.  Personally, the only thing I really hated was the ending, as they set up to go all Hunger Games sequels at the end.  When really they perfectly set it up to continue the story with the person they were really setting up for the sequel.  Definitely a good watch if you don't mind the blood and gore.  

Netflix:  The Chestnut Man  A police drama set in Copenhagen about a series of murders.  Only one season so far.  But it was a really great season that I think even @Lou would like. 

And again, the subtitles were off from what was Dubbed.  Netflix must be skimping on the translators or using the Chinese bots again.

7 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Netflix:  The Chestnut Man  A police drama set in Copenhagen about a series of murders.  Only one season so far.  But it was a really great season that I think even @Lou would like. 

And again, the subtitles were off from what was Dubbed.  Netflix must be skimping on the translators or using the Chinese bots again.

Just added it to my list a couple of days ago

Thanks for the input 👍

15 hours ago, arch stanton said:

The first season is great. It gets you where you expect the story to get you. To me the next 2 seasons are optional

That's about right.  First season is phenomenal.  Next two are what happens when you write thinking there will only be one season.  

Netflix:  Dave Chappelle The Closer  So this is the last show of his Netflix contract.  Probably the best of his series.  He didn't hold any punches, and a lot of it was aimed at the trans community.  And unfortunately, the trans community is taking it literally as an attack on them, instead of the message at the end.  So in other words, this show was funny because he was Dave Chappelle, and not that safe shit he did for the first 5 shows.  

Netflix:  The Guilty  This one was a strange movie.  About a cop that gets assigned to a 911 call center while he's on administrative duty for a shooting he was involved in.  He fields a few calls as background, but it really centers around one call.  I don't think this translated well, as you really don't like this cop because he becomes hyper focused on this call.  Which goes against 911 call centers.  But there is twists and turns towards the end of the movie.  Don't think those twists and turns were worth watching the movie.  So this is one of those if you are a Jake Gyllenhaal or Antoine Fuqua fan, then it might be worth watching.  Otherwise, probably a pass.