• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

21 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

Started watching the first episode of DCI Banks.  I thought it might be something close to Morse, but sadly it fell short.

We felt the same way. I'm thinking of giving it another try to see if it improves. 

52 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

Started watching the first episode of DCI Banks.  I thought it might be something close to Morse, but sadly it fell short.

I've finished Mrs. Maisel, The Expanse, Morse, Bosch.  Anyt other series on Amazon Prime worth watching?

24 minutes ago, Redondo said:

Goliath, Fortitude, both worth watching. 

Looking at my list, in addition.  Man in the High Castle is an absolute.  You'd probably enjoy Whitecastle, since it's in the British Detective type series.  

Others I enjoyed.  Patriot.  Vikings.  Americans.  Mr. Robot.  Tales from the Loop (although some didn't enjoy that one).  The Boys (It's towards the superhero side.  Shut up Lou)  Justified.  Defiance (more niche and they never finished it).  Orange is the New Black.  

Shirley 

This is a new biopic about horror writer Shirley Jackson, who I think is most famous for writing 'The Lottery' and 'Haunting of Hill House.' This is probably not a recommendation for the majority of you, but the movie has a lot of redeeming traits that kept me interested throughout.

Elizabeth Moss gives a fantastic performance as the titular character while a new actress Odessa Young recalls a young Gina Davis with the majority of the screen time. This is not a traditional biopic in that it is highly stylized and fictionalized. This is really a look at  dysfunctional relationships and the destruction of the traditional 1950's husband and wife image. Much like Shirley herself, it can be a bit incoherent at times, and there is only so much you can do with a story about a writer.

5 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

4 hours ago, Redondo said:

We felt the same way. I'm thinking of giving it another try to see if it improves. 

I agree.

7 hours ago, gotbeer said:

HBO Max:  Game of Thrones  Finally finished it.  I enjoyed it thoroughly, and thought that the hype didn't disappoint.  Also, for a show that started in 2011 or something like that, the production/graphics aged pretty well.  

Went through the whole thing eh?

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Went through the whole thing eh?

Yeah, there were some late nights where I needed just one more episode.  Overall, I think I'm kind of glad that I was able to bingewatch.  It's like BSG.  You need that next episode and it would be pretty painful if you had to wait.

17 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Yeah, there were some late nights where I needed just one more episode.  Overall, I think I'm kind of glad that I was able to bingewatch.  It's like BSG.  You need that next episode and it would be pretty painful if you had to wait.

Yeah, I binged watched the first five season. I think season 6 suffered from me watching week to week... not really any excuse for 7 and 8 though because there was no time given for any filler. 

I always felt BSG's 4th season was so much better when you could binge watch. It dragged badly week to week.

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Yeah, I binged watched the first five season. I think season 6 suffered from me watching week to week... not really any excuse for 7 and 8 though because there was no time given for any filler. 

I always felt BSG's 4th season was so much better when you could binge watch. It dragged badly week to week.

The hard one was when BSG took that something like 1 1/2 years between seasons.  

Finished S1 of DCI Banks

Characters are starting build and the writing is getting better. Worth watching IMO.

It's a TV series so predictable plots at times. 

4 more seasons to go. Hoping it keeps getting better. 

On 6/15/2020 at 4:04 PM, gotbeer said:

The hard one was when BSG took that something like 1 1/2 years between seasons.  

Yeah, due to the writers strike. There was a possibility that the season three finale would end up being the last episode... and man, talk about what a dark ending that would've been.

Aniara

This is heady Sweedish sci-fi. It tells the story of a group of people evacuating earth due to environmental calamity. They board what is essentially a luxury cruise ship in space on a three week voyage to their new home on Mars. Unfortunately their reactor is damaged and they are set adrift with no way to get back on course. 

I'm not sure I can recommend this movie in a year like 2020. In fact, I'm not sure I liked it until the idea it was trying to express clicked with me, at which point I let out something of an ironic laugh. This movie is the anti-2001 A Space Odyssey. We may gain the technology for interplanetary travel but there is some inherent flaw in us, an inability to appreciate what we have, or to think on a scale beyond ourselves, that will prevent us from surviving as a species. 

For sci-fi fans and anyone with a low opinion of the human race who can appreciate a movie's subtext, this is a solid choice. Everyone else, maybe not.

Trumbo

This is the Brian Cranston film about blacklisted screenwriter Dalton Trumbo, who went on to win multiple oscars writing under different names. 

This movie feels far more relevant today than it did when it came out in 2015. In fact, what felt like a romantic defense of the Hollywood left created by the Hollywood left now oozes with a sense of irony that makes every punch this movie lands hit harder. The film's central question, whether or not a rich leftist like Dalton Trumbo is taking a stance on principle or ego is masturbatory. Seeing the now 'canceled' Louis CK as a struggling blacklisted screenwriter drives home the irony. If the film were to come out today it very well might be 'blacklisted' by the same people who made it.

This would be a great movie to show in high schools around the country. The disgust students may feel seeing Louis on screen might just make them question what side they would've been on and what role they would've played if they were alive in the late 40's and 50's in the age of McCarthyism. 

Before We Go on Tubi

Alice Eve is adorable.

I saw her in "Misconduct" where she had a small role and I wondered what else she had been in.

That lead me to "Before We Go"

Been watching a lot of Tubi because it's free. 

Edited by True Grich

Beyond the Reach with Michael Douglas. 3 out of 5 stars. A typical role for Douglas.

The Big Short with Christian Bale. Pretty fascinating.

Kill the Irishman with Ray Stevenson, Christopher  Walken and Val Kilmer...3 stars...

The Iceman... 4 stars.

All on Tubi

Again... been watching a ton on Tubi the last few months

Edited by True Grich