• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

On 6/7/2020 at 10:48 PM, Randy Gradishar said:

Movies have fallen off a cliff the last decade.

This all day. 

We scan movies on Netflix, Amazon and Hulu. Slim pickings for sure. 

Same for cable. Which most cone from theaters at some point. 

Just now, Randy Gradishar said:

Matthew McConaughey, Bruce Dern, Piper Laurie (yes, that Piper Laurie). 

Saw it in the theaters (2018 or 2019) and it was really good, but probably still not good enough to ever watch again lol.

There HAVE been several good movies since 'No Country' although I will say there may not have been a better movie than it. Of course No Country might be in my top 5 all time.

4 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Yeah, I was definitely exaggerating a little. Inglorious Basterds, for one (probably top 3 QT for me). My best movies this century are probably those two plus "Mulholland Drive", "The Departed", and maybe some of the Paul Rudd comedies.

Interesting... I was trying to think what might qualify for great movies post No Country and Inglorious Basterds was the first that came to mind. The Dark Knight for sure and a personal favorite of mine, 'Her' as well. Mullholland Drive is great, though I'm pretty hot and cold on The Departed. 

14 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Interesting... I was trying to think what might qualify for great movies post No Country and Inglorious Basterds was the first that came to mind. The Dark Knight for sure and a personal favorite of mine, 'Her' as well. Mullholland Drive is great, though I'm pretty hot and cold on The Departed. 

Slumdog Millionaire,  and The Wolf Of Wall Street can be added.

1 hour ago, Randy Gradishar said:

The Departed is just one of the most re-watchable and easiest movies to choose on a whim, even though it's like 2.5 hours. Scorsese films just don't drag even though they're long. And that cast with those accents.

I really liked Wolf of Wall Street but haven't gone back and watched again for some reason.

Dark Knight is great, though for Nolan I prefer Memento and possibly even Following (but those are older).

For CoBros, A Serious Man is seriously underrated, and Burn After Reading is really good.

Still need to see Slumdog and Her.

Lincoln and King's Speech are one-hitters for me. They're like "yeah, that was a movie." Liked Whiplash, but not sure how re-watchable it is.

Underrated comedy is The Other Guys: really grew on me and Gene Mauch is great. Also The Watch, which nobody knows about but is great stupid humor.

So yeah, not much after about 2009.

I won't vouch for Slumdog, I wasn't a fan.

I did enjoy those Coen films quite a bit, and just watched Hail! Cesar the other night which was enjoyable as well. Lincoln and King's Speech agreed. The Other Guys is fine, haven't see The Watch. 

Whiplash I've seen a few times, surprisingly rewatchable.

There is a handful of other movies I've really liked though not yet mentioned. Annihilation, Sicario, Roma, Parasite, Gone Girl, Hell or High Water, The Martian, The Social Network, Ex Machina, The Big Short, Game Night... a bunch of under the radar movies too probably.

25 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I won't vouch for Slumdog, I wasn't a fan.

I did enjoy those Coen films quite a bit, and just watched Hail! Cesar the other night which was enjoyable as well. Lincoln and King's Speech agreed. The Other Guys is fine, haven't see The Watch. 

Whiplash I've seen a few times, surprisingly rewatchable.

There is a handful of other movies I've really liked though not yet mentioned. Annihilation, Sicario, Roma, Parasite, Gone Girl, Hell or High Water, The Martian, The Social Network, Ex Machina, The Big Short, Game Night... a bunch of under the radar movies too probably.

How can you not like Slumdog Millionaire? That movie was incredible.

Social Network was really good. Just watched it again last night on Netflix.

1 minute ago, st1ckboy said:

How can you not like Slumdog Millionaire? That movie was incredible.

Social Network was really good. Just watched it again last night on Netflix.

I don't know. I saw it in theaters and it just didn't connect with me at all. I don't even remember why at this point.

12 hours ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Watched the 2nd half of this horror film Midsommar the other day. Highly recommend if you want to be deeply disturbed and lose your appetite for a few days.

Really accurate visual depiction of what psychedelics are like, though, as opposed to the cheesy hallucinations you normally see. Just without any of the fun.

I thought the first half was more disturbing than the second. lol. The second half is like a horror redemption / coming of age arc. I dug it.

Prospect

This is a way under the radar sci-fi film staring Pedro Pascal and a young actress who I haven't seen before who is quite good. It's essentially about a father and daughter stranded on an alien world filled with prospectors seeking out these unique gems. Fairly standard story in a sci-fi context. Certainly worth a watch.

On 7/27/2017 at 7:55 PM, Brandon said:

just finished watching the defiant ones one hbo, four part documentary. it was awesome and a wild history of a big music era. it essentially is the start of jimmy iovine and dr. dre and their paths in the music industry to how they connect and the empire they create to this day. just wild how different, but similar they are as music icons. 

I had no idea iovine produced springsteen, tom petty, stevie nicks, and u2. 

I love this stuff of how icons are created and converge. it touches on a lot over about four decades.

I had forgotten all about this series. I ran across it last night while searching docs to watch. I watched the first episode - it was great! 

Little did he know I had a loaded 12 gauge

One sucker dead, LA Times front page

11 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Prospect

This is a way under the radar sci-fi film staring Pedro Pascal and a young actress who I haven't seen before who is quite good. It's essentially about a father and daughter stranded on an alien world filled with prospectors seeking out these unique gems. Fairly standard story in a sci-fi context. Certainly worth a watch.

Sci fi?  Prospecting?  Sounds like a movie just up my alley.  What is it playing on?