Brandon

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

9 minutes ago, Don said:

I’ve been listening to the Way Down in the Hole podcast from The Ringer lately. Good episode by episode deep dives into The Wire, which I still contend is the single best show ever made.

I started, but stopped because it's been a while since I watched the show. I kind of want to do a rewatch and then add this in after.

I could tell the tone was like it might be in tune and do it justice. Is that fair?

Not sure what to expect, but I really liked some of the show recaps I would read after things like Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

27 minutes ago, Don said:

I’ve been listening to the Way Down in the Hole podcast from The Ringer lately. Good episode by episode deep dives into The Wire, which I still contend is the single best show ever made.

The Ringer has been putting out some articles on Game of Thrones, since we are one year since the end of the series. It's incredible to see just how much everyone has turned on the show. Even the ringer who defended the show to the end, who is now writing an entire series of articles on the show is saying things like "there is only one good scene in season 8." Truthfully I thought Game of Thrones still had a chance at over taking The Wire for best show of all time, if it could've gone out with the bang.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The Ringer has been putting out some articles on Game of Thrones, since we are one year since the end of the series. It's incredible to see just how much everyone has turned on the show. Even the ringer who defended the show to the end, who is now writing an entire series of articles on the show is saying things like "there is only one good scene in season 8." Truthfully I thought Game of Thrones still had a chance at over taking The Wire for best show of all time, if it could've gone out with the bang.

The way the first seven seasons went versus the eighth, I almost consider it a different show. They did the first seven so well, then completely bungled the eighth season so much that it kinda screwed up the whole series. It deserves the scorn it gets.

10 minutes ago, Don said:

The way the first seven seasons went versus the eighth, I almost consider it a different show. They did the first seven so well, then completely bungled the eighth season so much that it kinda screwed up the whole series. It deserves the scorn it gets.

Aside from the Loot train sequence I haven't found much reason to re-watch season 7 either. It was the first season I didn't pick up on bluRay the first chance I could... I got it on sale right before season 8 aired. I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to purchasing season 8...

16 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'm kind of like that, but feel GoT had an insurmountable amount of pressure because of social media and just the times. It was never going to win and people weren't going to be happy regardless of the outcome.

It's not fair. No one even watched The Wire until it was already done. Don't get me wrong, I love the show, but people said season 5 was trash the same way they dog the last season of GoT.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I'm kind of like that, but feel GoT had an insurmountable amount of pressure because of social media and just the times. It was never going to win and people weren't going to be happy regardless of the outcome.

It's not fair. No one even watched The Wire until it was already done. Don't get me wrong, I love the show, but people said season 5 was trash the same way they dog the last season of GoT.

I don't think season 5 is the strongest season of The Wire (but it's still a great season)... it does suffer from some of the same issues that GoT ran into. I'm specifically referring to the lower number of episodes compared to previous seasons.

GoT had a lot more pressure to finish things up, but what has become apparent is that Dan and Dave simply didn't want to do the show anymore and had too much ego to pass it on to other people. The problem was finishing a show off with 6 episodes when they needed at least 3 more seasons that they weren't willing to stick around for. I know Martin wanted 6 more seasons, which is probably why he stopped working on the show.

13 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't think season 5 is the strongest season of The Wire (but it's still a great season)... it does suffer from some of the same issues that GoT ran into. I'm specifically referring to the lower number of episodes compared to previous seasons.

GoT had a lot more pressure to finish things up, but what has become apparent is that Dan and Dave simply didn't want to do the show anymore and had too much ego to pass it on to other people. The problem was finishing a show off with 6 episodes when they needed at least 3 more seasons that they weren't willing to stick around for. I know Martin wanted 6 more seasons, which is probably why he stopped working on the show.

Yeah, word on the street is they were done and even working on other projects. It wasn't a clean wrap up, for sure.

I just wonder if there was full blown internet sites, recaps, social media, Twitter cucks if it would have gotten the same treatment. It just reminds me of GoT where 4 was so good and 5 was pretty mediocre.

16 minutes ago, Lou said:

I was reacting to the word "nobody"

I watched it when it came out and I couldn't wait to watch it every week on HBO.

The ratings weren't good was the premise of the comment.

David Simon talks pretty openly about how the show didn't do good but became a cult classic.

11 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Thoughts on Money Heist?

Was told this is worth it and on my tablet to view.

I'm a little weirded out as I know the first season or 2 are in Spanish with subtitles, but I think a new season came out and the trailer on Netflix is in English. So I don't get it.

But was told this is a great series and worth the watch.

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The ratings weren't good was the premise of the comment.

David Simon talks pretty openly about how the show didn't do good but became a cult classic.

It didn't.

It just means that I'm smarter than anyone else. 

5 minutes ago, Lou said:

It didn't.

It just means that I'm smarter than anyone else. 

Ahead of the curve.

I was younger and doing shit like dating and what not back then. I somewhat remember The Sopranos being the first show where people were like, "Don't call or page me, The Sopranos are on at 8, so don't bug me"

I'm a little bit younger than you, is that true for that time?

Outside of that I remember my mom telling everyone to shut the fuck up because 21 Jump Street was coming.

I got turned on to The Wire after season three. Caught up on all of it and actually watched seasons four and five as they came out. Got one of my roommates at the time into it too. We had a ton of review/prediction talks during those last two seasons, and that made it way more fun. I’m still very proud of my predictions regarding Slim Charles.

Just now, Lou said:

You're the 2nd smartest 

I’ll take it. Was like 20 at the time. Calling me smart at that age is very generous.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Aside from the Loot train sequence I haven't found much reason to re-watch season 7 either. It was the first season I didn't pick up on bluRay the first chance I could... I got it on sale right before season 8 aired. I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to purchasing season 8...

To me season 8 was just freaking lazy. Season 7 may not have been the best, but it still didn’t hit “screw it, let’s just wrap this up” mode like season 8.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I started, but stopped because it's been a while since I watched the show. I kind of want to do a rewatch and then add this in after.

I could tell the tone was like it might be in tune and do it justice. Is that fair?

Not sure what to expect, but I really liked some of the show recaps I would read after things like Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

It’s good mainly because it goes episode by episode. That makes it easy to follow. I’ve started re-watching with the podcast. I think the main draw for me is listening to it as a mid-30s white dude listening to similarly aged black people that grew up knowing a lot of people like the characters in the show (not my inference, they talk about real-life similarities all the time). Completely changes my perspective from the early-20s white dude that knew like a handful of black people when I originally watched it.