• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Over the last week I watched the 5 Bill Burr specials available on Netflix.  I appreciate his consistency and the fact that he doesn't change his style because of how tightly wound some people have become.  Also watched Neal Brennan: 3 Mics.  Was curious to watch because I always remember him as being Chapelle's partner on Chapelle show but without looking at IMDB didn't know what he's worked on since then.  Some of it had a serious tone but it was cathartic for him and he discusses dealing with both depression and anxiety.  Definitely worth the watch for the hour or so that it ran. 

10 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Over the last week I watched the 5 Bill Burr specials available on Netflix.  I appreciate his consistency and the fact that he doesn't change his style because of how tightly wound some people have become.  Also watched Neal Brennan: 3 Mics.  Was curious to watch because I always remember him as being Chapelle's partner on Chapelle show but without looking at IMDB didn't know what he's worked on since then.  Some of it had a serious tone but it was cathartic for him and he discusses dealing with both depression and anxiety.  Definitely worth the watch for the hour or so that it ran. 

Agreed.

Don't remember the older Burr ones as well, since it's been so long, but his Paper Tigers special is neck and neck with Chapelle for best stand up special of the year. I've watched it about 3-4 times.

3 Mics was great. I think I mentioned it in the comedy thread (and actually just posted a video of him and Theo Von). I liked the idea and premise of the show. I was never into the Mitch Hedberg one liners, but it was at a minimum and not bad. Ironically, like Theo Von, I started to go to The Comedy Store to see random acts as I wanted to start writing again. Neal hit the stage one night and leveled the room. I've been a fan ever since even though every time I see him he has the same bits in a lot of his act. 

Yeah you bumping the comedy thread with the Neal clip made me come post in this thread.  I watched one of Chapelle's newer Netflix specials and enjoyed it but haven't gotten into any of the other ones yet.  For me Chapelle's Killin' Them Softly is legendary and I make the mistake of holding his other specials up against it.  For What It's Worth is pretty good too but I probably overrate Killin' Them Softly because some of my friends and I watched the hell out of it and would drop the lines regularly back in the early 2000's. Getting ready to take off from a signal and the guy driving turns and in his whitest voice goes "Dave, I'm gonna race him." 

2 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Yeah you bumping the comedy thread with the Neal clip made me come post in this thread.  I watched one of Chapelle's newer Netflix specials and enjoyed it but haven't gotten into any of the other ones yet.  For me Chapelle's Killin' Them Softly is legendary and I make the mistake of holding his other specials up against it.  For What It's Worth is pretty good too but I probably overrate Killin' Them Softly because some of my friends and I watched the hell out of it and would drop the lines regularly back in the early 2000's. 

The ones in 2017 were good, but not memorable. Maybe I'm missing bits. I just remember he did a set in DC, then Austin City Limits, then at The Comedy Store.

But the most recent one, Sticks and Stones was pretty epic. I've watched that one a few time, too. I'd say if you are in the mood, do this one and if you feel like circling back to the 2017 ones, you can.

5 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Yeah I watched the first 2017 one where he's in Hollywood and started the second one where he's in Austin.  Good but not too many lines that I'd remember.  I'll give the Sticks and Stones one a shot as they advertise what you mentioned which is the fact that and Paper Tigers were up for the 2019 specials of the year.

I've known you a while here and think you'll like it.

If you like one liners the Anthony Jesselnik, "Fire in the Maternity Ward" was good for that style. Not my cup of tea and I think I didn't even finish it, but if I liked that style of comedy I thought it was well done.

Bert, Segura, and D'leia had back to back specials. I wasn't overly impressed with Bert and D'leia, but Segura hit a homer with his.

Good call on Jeselnik.  I came across Thoughts and Prayers first and liked that one quite a bit so watched Fire in the Maternity Ward which I liked but not as much.  I watched them back to back so it might have been his style kind of wearing thin.  I think I did watch one of Tom Segura's specials and liked it so will check out more of his stuff.  D'leia I saw you guys talk about in this or the comedy thread and I remember him from a small part in I think Workaholics and some other stuff and he had his moments but you guys didn't seem to be too big on his stand up.  I actually watched some Bill Hicks stuff a few days ago and it's good but I probably don't appreciate it as much because of where comedy is today while guys like him 30 years ago were ahead of their time. 

On 5/12/2020 at 8:39 PM, Brandon said:

I heard about it a while back because I'm a comedy fan of Andrew Santino (who rips in the show), but didn't think I would watch. But it picked up a lot of steam and praise so I checked it out and it delivers. This is a quality comedy sitcom.

Santino is hilarious on various podcasts.

Now I'll have to check out this show.

On 6/2/2020 at 9:08 AM, Brandon said:

I still need to watch season 3 of Ozark

But think I'm going to watch the Lance Armstrong 30 for 30 instead

Armstrong sure comes off as an entitled self absorbed asshole....if there was any doubt of that, it's dispelled now. 

Uncut Gems

Not sure if this was a movie about a guy with some sort of personality disorder or about gambling addiction. Sandler is great in this, and absolutely deserved to be nominated for an Oscar. The movie is tense, as we watch him trying to juggle assets, debts and games for two and a half hours. Some people are hooked to the games, but here I feel like Sandlers' character just enjoys putting one over on people. 

Rating this I'd describe it as watchable/enjoyable, but not for anyone who needs a sympathetic main character.

HBO Max:  Game of Thrones Season 1.  Yeah yeah.  Finally able to watch it.  @Lou why didn't you tell me there were zombies in it?  In any case, it's been enjoyable so far.  The D&D and MMPORG in me likes where it's headed so far.

Edited by gotbeer