• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

One of the more awkward movies I've seen... I'd describe it's genre as 'awkward horror' or maybe 'modern Greek tragedy horror' as all of those old plays were quite awkward themselves.

While this movie has to go out of its way to include the requisite incest of a good Greek play the awkwardness of the dialogue carries the weight here. The way this family of doctors talk to each other, and to other people, is completely devoid of emotion, out of touch with social norms and full of banal observation. Masturbation, periods, the water resistance of wrist watches dominate discussion. There is very little humanity here, which I know is the point, but it's also a problem for a movie. Its attempt at being a Greek tragedy for modern audiences is undermined by its odd themes where science and rationality are still at the mercy of the gods without explanation or context for anyone who hasn't read Iphigenia in Aulis.

6 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Netflix:  White Lines.   I didn't get it.  Barely got through the first episode.  Called it quits on the second.  Maybe I was too distracted and wasn't paying close enough attention.  But it didn't make sense why this series was even made.

That's all we made it also.

Netflix:  Into the Night  A suspense thriller type show.  It's the typical people with issues on a plane and are the only survivors.  The story moves along well, and it was a quick enjoyable series.  I think each episode is about 37 minutes long.  It also wraps up well, but opens it up for the next season.

I watched all ten episodes of ESPN's "The Last Dance" about the Bulls' dynasty.  I don't follow the NBA any more, but this was an incredible and fascinating look at Michael Jordan and the Bulls.  It was full of interesting, inspiring and thought provoking material.  I highly recommend it.

Edited by True Grich

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

I watched all ten episodes of ESPN's "The Last Dance" about the Bulls' dynsasty.  I don't follow the NBA any more, but this was an incredible and fascinating look at Michael Jordan and the Bulls.  It was full of interesting, inspiring and thought provoking material.  I highly recommend it.

i didn't watch a single second of it. i didn't care anything about it.

9 minutes ago, Don said:

I’ve been listening to the Way Down in the Hole podcast from The Ringer lately. Good episode by episode deep dives into The Wire, which I still contend is the single best show ever made.

I started, but stopped because it's been a while since I watched the show. I kind of want to do a rewatch and then add this in after.

I could tell the tone was like it might be in tune and do it justice. Is that fair?

Not sure what to expect, but I really liked some of the show recaps I would read after things like Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

27 minutes ago, Don said:

I’ve been listening to the Way Down in the Hole podcast from The Ringer lately. Good episode by episode deep dives into The Wire, which I still contend is the single best show ever made.

The Ringer has been putting out some articles on Game of Thrones, since we are one year since the end of the series. It's incredible to see just how much everyone has turned on the show. Even the ringer who defended the show to the end, who is now writing an entire series of articles on the show is saying things like "there is only one good scene in season 8." Truthfully I thought Game of Thrones still had a chance at over taking The Wire for best show of all time, if it could've gone out with the bang.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The Ringer has been putting out some articles on Game of Thrones, since we are one year since the end of the series. It's incredible to see just how much everyone has turned on the show. Even the ringer who defended the show to the end, who is now writing an entire series of articles on the show is saying things like "there is only one good scene in season 8." Truthfully I thought Game of Thrones still had a chance at over taking The Wire for best show of all time, if it could've gone out with the bang.

The way the first seven seasons went versus the eighth, I almost consider it a different show. They did the first seven so well, then completely bungled the eighth season so much that it kinda screwed up the whole series. It deserves the scorn it gets.

10 minutes ago, Don said:

The way the first seven seasons went versus the eighth, I almost consider it a different show. They did the first seven so well, then completely bungled the eighth season so much that it kinda screwed up the whole series. It deserves the scorn it gets.

Aside from the Loot train sequence I haven't found much reason to re-watch season 7 either. It was the first season I didn't pick up on bluRay the first chance I could... I got it on sale right before season 8 aired. I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to purchasing season 8...

16 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'm kind of like that, but feel GoT had an insurmountable amount of pressure because of social media and just the times. It was never going to win and people weren't going to be happy regardless of the outcome.

It's not fair. No one even watched The Wire until it was already done. Don't get me wrong, I love the show, but people said season 5 was trash the same way they dog the last season of GoT.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I'm kind of like that, but feel GoT had an insurmountable amount of pressure because of social media and just the times. It was never going to win and people weren't going to be happy regardless of the outcome.

It's not fair. No one even watched The Wire until it was already done. Don't get me wrong, I love the show, but people said season 5 was trash the same way they dog the last season of GoT.

I don't think season 5 is the strongest season of The Wire (but it's still a great season)... it does suffer from some of the same issues that GoT ran into. I'm specifically referring to the lower number of episodes compared to previous seasons.

GoT had a lot more pressure to finish things up, but what has become apparent is that Dan and Dave simply didn't want to do the show anymore and had too much ego to pass it on to other people. The problem was finishing a show off with 6 episodes when they needed at least 3 more seasons that they weren't willing to stick around for. I know Martin wanted 6 more seasons, which is probably why he stopped working on the show.

13 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't think season 5 is the strongest season of The Wire (but it's still a great season)... it does suffer from some of the same issues that GoT ran into. I'm specifically referring to the lower number of episodes compared to previous seasons.

GoT had a lot more pressure to finish things up, but what has become apparent is that Dan and Dave simply didn't want to do the show anymore and had too much ego to pass it on to other people. The problem was finishing a show off with 6 episodes when they needed at least 3 more seasons that they weren't willing to stick around for. I know Martin wanted 6 more seasons, which is probably why he stopped working on the show.

Yeah, word on the street is they were done and even working on other projects. It wasn't a clean wrap up, for sure.

I just wonder if there was full blown internet sites, recaps, social media, Twitter cucks if it would have gotten the same treatment. It just reminds me of GoT where 4 was so good and 5 was pretty mediocre.

16 minutes ago, Lou said:

I was reacting to the word "nobody"

I watched it when it came out and I couldn't wait to watch it every week on HBO.

The ratings weren't good was the premise of the comment.

David Simon talks pretty openly about how the show didn't do good but became a cult classic.