• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Watched some Kennedy stuff in the last few days and they're still playing these:

Killing Kennedy: based on the book by O' Reilly.  Pretty good.  Rob Lowe is actually believable as JFK.   This is on NATGEO.

The Assassination of President Kennedy: Documentary.  Really good program.  There is a lot of footage that I hadn't seen before.  CNN.

I saw "All is Lost" starring Robert Redford today. Fantastic movie. He is the only actor in the whole film— it's about his struggle to survive lost at sea. It sounds like it would be boring, but I was riveted the whole time.

Check out "Buried" with Ryan Reynolds. He is the only actor the entire movie and the entire film is viewed from inside of a coffin that he's been buried in. I was skeptical at first, but it turned out to be pretty damn stressful and I enjoyed it. 

"Derek", starring Ricky Gervais, on Netflix.

This is one of Netflix's own productions, and it's enjoyable enough. More "nice" than hilarious, though there are some funny moments. I guess a good description would be "kind hearted."

Netflix is really doing a spectacular job at evolving.  I've like almost everything they've produced and saw a few days ago that they picked up a fourth season of "The Killing" to be produced by them. Solid.

• 2 weeks later...

been sick and watched a few.

warrior- mma version of the fighter, but with absurd fighting scenes.

american me- finally watched from start to finish.

parkland- drama recreation of jfk assassination.

iceman- good movie about richard kuklinski, famous hitman.

king of new york- older gangster flick with christopher walken as frank white.

the start up kids- tech documentary that interviews founders of sites like vimeo among others. really cool.

don't remember the name, but watched the jiru sushi chef one as well. a lot better than expected. it seemed like a seminar on work ethic which was great.

started to watch millers crossing, but passed out in the beginning. will get back to this one.

still plugging breaking bad episodes in. im on the second half of the final season.

kind of average, but not in a bad way. because it's a re-creation it doesn't have or do anything special. I didn't know too much history or facts of the situation, so it was a good history recount.

worth the $1.30 at redbox and two hours if you are interested in seeing it. it's just pretty straight forward with the facts amassed from the incident opposed to creativity or leaving anything to the viewer.

ironically, I thought it was identical to Bobby, if you've seen that. same kind of movie version documentary with known actors and actresses of the Bobby Kennedy assassination as it played out.

The Broken Circle Breakdown - 8.5/10

A bit melodramatic and heavy handed at times but I thought this was great. This movie doesn't give a shit about your emotions and is a real downer but its great. Has some music sequences in the film as well as the main characters are part of a bluegrass group and the songs fit very well within the non linear structure of the movie.

Edited by Sam Sanchez

Frozen

8.5/10

I think this is probably the best film released by Disney since "The Lion King." They didn't market it as a musical, but it's full up with songs, some of them quite good. It's also pretty freaking funny. I have an issue with how one significant plot point is handled, but it's not a deal breaker. The film has an insanely fast pace, and may have benefited from more exposition and plot development. I REALLY liked it.

Also, it's pretty interesting to me that I feel the main studio at Disney (Walt Disney Pictures) has outperformed Pixar over the past four films. I'm pretty sure I liked "Frozen", "Wreck It Ralph," "Tangled," and "Winnie The Pooh" more than "Monsters University," "Brave," "Cars 2" and "Up", respectively. "Up" had a spectacular opening sequence, but beyond that I wasn't blown away. I think this may have something to do with Lasseter's influence at Disney, but at the same time "Cars 2" was all his, and it kinda blew.

Frozen

8.5/10

I think this is probably the best film released by Disney since "The Lion King." They didn't market it as a musical, but it's full up with songs, some of them quite good. It's also pretty freaking funny. I have an issue with how one significant plot point is handled, but it's not a deal breaker. The film has an insanely fast pace, and may have benefited from more exposition and plot development. I REALLY liked it.

Also, it's pretty interesting to me that I feel the main studio at Disney (Walt Disney Pictures) has outperformed Pixar over the past four films. I'm pretty sure I liked "Frozen", "Wreck It Ralph," "Tangled," and "Winnie The Pooh" more than "Monsters University," "Brave," "Cars 2" and "Up", respectively. "Up" had a spectacular opening sequence, but beyond that I wasn't blown away. I think this may have something to do with Lasseter's influence at Disney, but at the same time "Cars 2" was all his, and it kinda blew.

I haven't seen Winnie The Pooh but those other three movies were good.  I thought Frozen was good, suspenseful.  My daughter was six so I wasn't sure how she would take the first half hour or so.  She loved it though.  She loves Wreck it Ralph and Tangled too.

Still, none of those movies keep up with the Despicable Me movies to her.

The Hudsucker Proxy. Hadn't seen it in a few years. Forgot how great it is. Easily one of the Top 5 Coen Bros. movies, in my opinion.  Tim Robbins had a hell of a '94. He made this and then Shawshank back to back. 

I've been really meaning to re-watch both Hudsucker Proxy and Raising Arizona. I love both those movies but I don't think either would be near my Top 5 for Coens but that more reflects on how much I enjoy the Coens films. As it stands, my Top 5 would probably be Barton Fink, Fargo, Big Lebowski, Miller's Crossing, and a toss-up between O Brother Where Art Thou, No Country For Old Men and A Serious Man.

I might re-watch those soon to go along with planning to check out Inside Llewyn Davis this Sunday. A new Coen Bros film should be good times.

I did watch something yesterday though:

Philomena - 8.5/10

I did not think I was going to like this as much as I did. Felt very oscar-baity, and admittedly, a lot of elements are there for an Oscar-bait film and I'm sure Judi Dench and the film in general will get its share of nominations but I thought this was a very solid drama about an elderly woman revealing that she had a son 50 years ago that was taken from her from nuns when she was in a convent and given up for adoption. It plays like a buddy film between Dench and Steve Coogan and I thought they were great together.

Not a bad year for Coogan. Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa is one of the funniest films I've seen this year, and then he goes on to star in and actually write the screenplay to Philomena. The films couldn't be more different but both are among my favorites of the year.

I've been really meaning to re-watch both Hudsucker Proxy and Raising Arizona. I love both those movies but I don't think either would be near my Top 5 for Coens but that more reflects on how much I enjoy the Coens films. As it stands, my Top 5 would probably be Barton Fink, Fargo, Big Lebowski, Miller's Crossing, and a toss-up between O Brother Where Art Thou, No Country For Old Men and A Serious Man.

I might re-watch those soon to go along with planning to check out Inside Llewyn Davis this Sunday. A new Coen Bros film should be good times.

I really want to see Inside Llewyn Davis. My Top 5 are Raising Arizona, The Big Lebowski, Fargo, No Country for Old Men, and Hudsucker Proxy. A Serious Man is a close 6th. Intolerable Cruelty is really their only movie that I would say I didn't really enjoy. 

I haven't seen Winnie The Pooh but those other three movies were good. I thought Frozen was good, suspenseful. My daughter was six so I wasn't sure how she would take the first half hour or so. She loved it though. She loves Wreck it Ralph and Tangled too.

Still, none of those movies keep up with the Despicable Me movies to her.

Yep. The kiddos love the minions. I didn't much care for DM2.

I think the recent Disney films are the best of the bunch of late. The mouse is on a roll in all respects. It's an impressive turnaround. They're just dominating.

I really want to see Inside Llewyn Davis. My Top 5 are Raising Arizona, The Big Lebowski, Fargo, No Country for Old Men, and Hudsucker Proxy. A Serious Man is a close 6th. Intolerable Cruelty is really their only movie that I would say I didn't really enjoy. 

I still mildly enjoy Intolerable Cruelty or at least I remember mildly enjoying it, but it is indeed their lowest point. It's been so long since I've seen it and I don't really feel the need revisit it.

Inside Llewyn Davis - 9.5/10

I loved this movie and hope to see it again once it gets a wider release. On it's surface, it's a great looking drama with some classic Coen Brothers comedy mixed in, and some great folk music performances within it. On a deeper level, it's pretty dark and bleak film regarding the main character's journey.

Oscar Isaac is great as the title character and even more impressive that his musical performances, as well as the others, were performed live for the camera and feel like live mini-concert performances. Only negative I could say, is Carey Mulligan's character, but I'm sure that's the intention.

I'd say it's up there with the Coen's best stuff and would recommend it highly, especially if you're a fan of the kind of the music in the movie.