• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

On 7/27/2019 at 2:13 PM, gotbeer said:

Netflix:  Another Life.  Kind of had high hopes for this one.  Sci Fi film with Katee Sackhoff in it?  Was hoping for a Battlestar Galactica smarts with a bit of Interstellar, except for the stupid ending.  I was pretty disappointed, and this is coming from a sci fi nerd.  It was kind of a hot mess from the start.  The story seemed rushed, and not well thought out.  It seemed that every episode had to have some kind of absolute doom for the crew that they somehow got out of.  The alien thing could have been so much better, but again, they had to rush it all.  This seemed like one of those series where they didn't think it would get picked up for a second season, so they crammed as much as possible into the one chance they got.  Overall, might be worth it if you are a sci fi fan.  If you are looking for something more, then it's probably a bottom of the barrel show on the watchlist.

I feel the same. I'm always hungry for good scifi--especially first contact kind of stuff (Arrival was amazing)--and am more tolerant of it, but this was really hard to watch, for reasons you mentioned and others. The writing was just poor, so many unbelievable things.

I'll add that it felt a bit like 90210 in space. The characters were all so emotionally immature - it was really implausible that this was the most important mission in human history and you send a bunch of adolescents. The best description I heard of it was as a "Millenials suck cautionary tale." Sackhoff is the Gen-Xer who has to manage the worst stereotypes of Millenials.

54 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I feel the same. I'm always hungry for good scifi--especially first contact kind of stuff (Arrival was amazing)--and am more tolerant of it, but this was really hard to watch, for reasons you mentioned and others. The writing was just poor, so many unbelievable things.

I'll add that it felt a bit like 90210 in space. The characters were all so emotionally immature - it was really implausible that this was the most important mission in human history and you send a bunch of adolescents. The best description I heard of it was as a "Millenials suck cautionary tale." Sackhoff is the Gen-Xer who has to manage the worst stereotypes of Millenials.

My wife is out of country so I took time off to stay with the kids. My daughter and I watched a few episodes hoping we could find a show we have in common. I think they were trying so hard to have an inclusive millennial cast that they forgot to include anyone who could act

I’m a big fan of Brad “Cinema Snob” Jones so I’m 30 minutes into Another Cinema Snob Movie.  Dude is my snarky spirit animal.

Saw OUATIH at my local Laemmle.  2nd best Tarantino Behind Kill Bill.  Brad Pitt oozes bada$$ery like he never has before.

Seen some recently on Starz and Showtime:

Brubaker

Duck, You Sucker! aka A Fistful Of Dynamite

Bird - Charlie Parker biopic from Eastwood

Papillon - The original, not the remake with Rami Malek.

Baby Boom

TV show wise, I’m halfway through the return of Veronica Mars on Hulu.

On 7/26/2019 at 10:51 AM, gotbeer said:

Take my money.  

Three words I have for any Emma Stone She’s been my number 2 actress crush ever since The Rocker just behind my numero uno Canuck love, McAdams.

Pity they were both in a movie that sucked, Aloha.  Crowe hasn’t done a good movie since Almost Famous.

Just finished season 7 of Orange is the New Black. Final season.

If you are familiar with the characters then you will enjoy this. Some corny and overplayed parts like usual.

2 show into the Bodyguard. British TV show on Netflix. Lot's of potential, but plot is getting weak.

5 hours ago, Redondo said:

If you are familiar with the characters then you will enjoy this. Some corny and overplayed parts like usual.

I agree.  It was a good finishing season for them.  Although I thought the political statement was a bit much in the ICE stuff.  I also like how they brought back some of the older characters from years past.  

Movie:  Once upon a Time in Hollywood  I had high hopes, but was disappointed with this one.  It kind of dragged on for me.  They were trying to play the revisionist history angle without really naming the revisionist history angle.  And the story kind of jumped all over the place, with no real focus.  Also they went nostalgia way too heavy, even to product placements.  But then again, maybe it's because I grew up in LA, so a lot of it was familiar overkill.  They went on about Sharon, and she really had nothing to do with anything.  You had a small bit of Trantino violence, but it was tiny at the end.  Overall, thought this was a pass theater, more cable movie.  

5 hours ago, Redondo said:

2 show into the Bodyguard. British TV show on Netflix. Lot's of potential, but plot is getting weak.

I am about half way through, and so far I wish they stopped at season 6. The political agenda of the writers is just too overwhelming. 

Piper needs to go away. Her storyline is just too tired. 

I'll finish it because I have already invested 6 1/2 seasons into it, but I am disappointed so far. 

10 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Movie:  Once upon a Time in Hollywood  I had high hopes, but was disappointed with this one.  It kind of dragged on for me.  They were trying to play the revisionist history angle without really naming the revisionist history angle.  And the story kind of jumped all over the place, with no real focus.  Also they went nostalgia way too heavy, even to product placements.  But then again, maybe it's because I grew up in LA, so a lot of it was familiar overkill.  They went on about Sharon, and she really had nothing to do with anything.  You had a small bit of Trantino violence, but it was tiny at the end.  Overall, thought this was a pass theater, more cable movie.  

I loved it. I'll agree it was a bit slow at times, but I think Dicaprio, and Pitt's performances made it worth the cost of admission. 

2 hours ago, Lou said:

As always, I stream via an Amazon FireTV APK so I don't know which pay service actually airs them. 

EDIT: my friend told me she has watched S1-4 of Line of Duty on Netflix, but is still waiting for S5 to air

So how does the Amazon Fire stick work? I have to subscribe to individual streaming sites to get the shows. Like Netflix and Amazon.

Does the Fire stick bypass that? I read that the 4K Firestick is only around $50