• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Every Sunday night, I have what's called "Sunday Night Classic Movie Night".  It's far from "Traditional", but from what I've found from my more famous twitter followers, it's become a bellweather for "good classic movies" (which puts a hell of a lot of added pressure on my choice).  Yesterday's movie was Alfred Hitchcock's "North By Northwest" which is, quite frankly, a hard act to follow as it is possibly the best effort from one of the best directors in Hollywood history.

Now that I know this thread exists, I will try to post the Sunday Night Classic Movie choice here as well.

I'll warn you, though, some Sunday nights, it's not going to be very good given my affinity towards really bad 50's Sci-Fi films.

Brandon, why don't you start with the first, "The Maltese Falcon" with Humphrey Bogart.  I love classic movies, especially noir films and there are plenty from the 40's and thereafter.  If you're interested, I can come up with a list.

Just finished watching most of the first season of "House of Lies" on Showtime.   I have two episodes left.   

Have any good recommendations, Sam?

Sure, here's a few of my favorites:

The Big Combo

Kiss Me Deadly

Night of the Hunter

The Night and the City

Pickup On South Street

The Set-Up

The Big Sleep

Gun Crazy

The Killing (early Stanley Kubrick film)

Laura

The Maltese Falcon

Nightmare Alley

Out of the Past

In a Lonely Place

Shock Corridor

Sunset Blvd

Sweet Smell of Success

White Heat

The Third Man

Ace in the Hole

That should keep you busy. Highly recommend all of those.

Also, would recommend a French film called 'Rififi'. It's in French but directed by an American director. Holds up against any of the best of the American noir. There's a 30-minute scene with no dialogue that still manages to be intense as hell.

I'll warn you, though, some Sunday nights, it's not going to be very good given my affinity towards really bad 50's Sci-Fi films.

Have any good recommendations, Sam?

I keep hoping for a remake of "Them"...

And, those are great films.. I'd throw-in "Chinatown" of course.

Anybody else watch/love "Serenity"/"Firefly"?!  Nathan Fillion is hilarious!  He's also great in "Castle" on ABC, and "Slither".  He was also the wrong Pvt. Ryan from Minnesota in "Saving Private Ryan...

I just watched "The Cabin in the Woods" on megashare.info the other day.  It's from Joss Whedon (who is the creator of Serenity), and was pretty good.  Very entertaining spin on the kids in peril in the woods movie.  Lots of dark humor in it as well.

LA Confidential is On Demand with one of the premium channels.

Speaking of Tarantino, he has said he wants to do a movie (I am assuming the trilogy) of one of my favorite book series by Len Deighton called "Game, Set, Match"....this is the shorthand name for all three books. He even pays homage by having Robert Forester reading the book in a scene of Jackie Brown.

jackie-brown-00003.jpg

I think they did a tv show on the books, but heard it failed pretty hard

Excellent list Sam and you can't go wrong with any of them.  I especially like Laura.

Other good noir films include:

The Postman Rings Twice (the one starring John Garfield and Lana Turner)

Act of Violence

The Killers

Strangers on a Train

Rope

Love those two Hitchcock movies. Don't know how I forgot Strangers on a Train.

I still need to watch The Postman Always Rings Twice. I picked up the Blu-Ray of it last month, should finally get around to it soon.

Also, as for Rope, have you seen Compulsion from 1959? Starring Orson Welles and Dean Stockwell. It's based on the same two guys but it's a take on the court case and trial of it.

Love those two Hitchcock movies. Don't know how I forgot Strangers on a Train.

I still need to watch The Postman Always Rings Twice. I picked up the Blu-Ray of it last month, should finally get around to it soon.

Also, as for Rope, have you seen Compulsion from 1959? Starring Orson Welles and Dean Stockwell. It's based on the same two guys but it's a take on the court case and trial of it.

No, haven't seen it, but I will look for it.  Looks interesting.

When you mentioned Orson Welles, I thought you were referring to "Touch of Evil."  The long version of this movie is also excellent if you can overlook Charlton Heston as the Mexican detective.

Another Welles movie that is very good is "The Stranger" with Edward G. Robinson.

The Big Combo

Kiss Me Deadly

Night of the Hunter

The Night and the City

Pickup On South Street

The Set-Up

The Big Sleep

Gun Crazy

Laura

The Maltese Falcon

Nightmare Alley

Out of the Past

In a Lonely Place

Shock Corridor

Sunset Blvd

Sweet Smell of Success

White Heat

The Third Man

Ace in the Hole

Also, would recommend a French film called 'Rififi'. It's in French but directed by an American director. Holds up against any of the best of the American noir. There's a 30-minute scene with no dialogue that still manages to be intense as hell.

steve martin did a great send up of many classic film noir movies with "dead men don't wear plaid". he shot it in black and white and spliced in several scenes from several of those old black and white classics. 

if you haven't seen it, you need to rent it. besides, rachel ward is in it. oh my.

F you all with this thread.  Now all I'm doing is thinking about great movies that don't get the love they should, ie:  Rope, Strangers On a Train (my two fav Hitchcock films) and Ace In the Hole.

Another very good Billy Wilder movie is "The Long Weekend" about one man's struggles with booze.  It was a fairly taboo subject when the movie was released.  Wilder had a brilliant sense of pacing and knew how to tell a story without over-telling the story.  Something missing from today's movie making, IMO.

Another good movie is Bad Influence which essentially lifts the Strangers On a Train ideal.  Rob Lowe is so good as  sleazy LA club hopping douche. 

There's a movie I really like called Saturday Night, Sunday Morning, an English movie starring a young Albert Finney as a factory worker who takes no responsibility in life.  He just works, drinks, hits up chicks and repeats.  It's very respected in English film circles. 

The Big Combo

Kiss Me Deadly

Night of the Hunter

The Night and the City

Pickup On South Street

The Set-Up

The Big Sleep

Gun Crazy

Laura

The Maltese Falcon

Nightmare Alley

Out of the Past

In a Lonely Place

Shock Corridor

Sunset Blvd

Sweet Smell of Success

White Heat

The Third Man

Ace in the Hole

That's an outstanding list. Not a turd in the pile.

Have you seen The Prowler, starring Van Heflin?

Creeepy cop flick. Very hard to find on DVD.