• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Netflix:  Away  Series about a group of astronauts trip to Mars.  I thought it was really well done, as they had perils on their trip, but nothing outlandish, and the script dealt more with the story than the glorification/action.  Also dealt with a lot of other social issues, but not too over the top.  As a comparison, this series has a similar tone to the movie Martian than other Mars shows.  Overall, a good first season and worth watching for any sci fi fan.   

On 9/8/2020 at 3:39 AM, Redondo said:

Kill the Irishman

About the Cleveland mob scene and Danny Green.

The rise and fall. Some good characters.

Christopher Walken, Paul Sorvino and Val Kilmer to name a few.

Hide contents

I wasn't aware of the violence in the Cleveland mob scene in the 1970's.

They were car bombing everyone. Like 36 bombings.

Spoiler

I wasn't aware either. I liked the movie. 

On 8/19/2020 at 11:14 AM, Taylor said:

Watched the premiere of Lovecraft Country on HBO. It's basically a mystery drama in the Jim Crow era with fantasy-horror elements thrown in. Really solid first episode.

First episode was really solid.

The 2nd episode?  HBO should ask for their money back - that episode was a confused mess and I think they lost me - I may never watch #3 to give it another chance - just too many other ways to spend an hour.   

15 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Netflix:  Away  Series about a group of astronauts trip to Mars.  I thought it was really well done, as they had perils on their trip, but nothing outlandish, and the script dealt more with the story than the glorification/action.  Also dealt with a lot of other social issues, but not too over the top.  As a comparison, this series has a similar tone to the movie Martian than other Mars shows.  Overall, a good first season and worth watching for any sci fi fan.   

Just saw the trailer for this, I'll probably check it out. Hulu had a series on the same subject called 'The First' with Sean Penn, which I gave up on like 2 episodes in.

I'm Thinking Of Ending Things

While I enjoyed it, this one is more for film buffs and english majors. This long and unsettling pseudo horror film is more contemplative and cerebral, asking for quite a bit of patience and attention from its viewers. The film goes out of it's way to leave very little actually stated, a lot to piece together and much open to interpretation. The movies' big reveal will leave most viewers rewinding saying 'wait what?!' while the attentive pat themselves on the back for seeing it coming. 

Spoiler

I think I have figured out what exactly it is that is wrong with this movie and that is an open for interpretation ending that allows the film to be viewed in a much more hopeful light (if that's how you want to see it). The movie makes more sense when you realize that the female protagonists' decision to break up with Jake is meant to conceal his inner struggle with his decision to kill himself. It isn't until the end that the audience can come to understand what the title of the film is really referring to, and unfortunately leaving it open to interpretation robs the film of the potential impact of Jake's suicide framing the previous 2 hours of the movie while introducing a lot of confusion for the viewer. 

Decided to visit an old friend... Blue Bloods. Watched it fairly regularly through 7 seasons and then my viewing tailed off. 

Finally picked it back up and have watched through season 9. I enjoy the show a lot. Waiting for season 10 to show up on Hulu in their entirety. Right now they have a few randomly shows on Hulu for season 10.

I was a huge fan of Hill Street Blues and to some degree NYPD Blue. This is just as good.

Interested in Chicago PD but the complete season 1 isn't available on Hulu. Again... random episodes. I don't get that.

I will be signing up for Apple TV+ soon. Hope to find some good stuff there.

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

Decided to visit an old friend... Blue Bloods. Watched it fairly regularly through 7 seasons and then my viewing tailed off. 

Finally picked it back up and have watched through season 9. I enjoy the show a lot. Waiting for season 10 to show up on Hulu in their entirety. Right now they have a few randomly shows on Hulu for season 10.

I was a huge fan of Hill Street Blues and to some degree NYPD Blue. This is just as good.

Interested in Chicago PD but the complete season 1 isn't available on Hulu. Again... random episodes. I don't get that.

I will be signing up for Apple TV+ soon. Hope to find some good stuff there.

If you watch the Chicago PD show it would be good to watch Fire and Med as well. They have multiple episodes that have carried over to the other shows.

43 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Netflix:  Longmire 6 seasons.  One of those small town sheriff shows.  Overall it was a really good show.  I wasn't fond of how it ended, but that's probably just me.  And season 4 or 5 it looked like they were going a direction, then suddenly changed their mind and went back to normal.  But worth watching.  

Really enjoyed all seasons.

Good show to watch.

Movie on Crackle...99 Homes (Andrew Garfield, Michael Shannon, Laura Dern). 93% on Rotten Tomatoes. 

It was a solid movie. Very gripping at times. 

There is so much "crap" available for free. Finally decided to use Rotten Tomatoes lists of best free movies to get a better idea of what to watch. Never really paid attention to RT before, but it seems like a decent way to filter out some crap.

Again.. I liked the movie. Good performances by all 3 stars.

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

Movie on Crackle...99 Homes (Andrew Garfield, Michael Shannon, Laura Dern). 93% on Rotten Tomatoes. 

It was a solid movie. Very gripping at times. 

There is so much "crap" available for free. Finally decided to use Rotten Tomatoes lists of best free movies to get a better idea of what to watch. Never really paid attention to RT before, but it seems like a decent way to filter out some crap.

Again.. I liked the movie. Good performances by all 3 stars.

We use Rotten Tomatoes to gauge whether to watch something.

It's pretty accurate.

There are a few that are off.

9 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Netflix:  Longmire 6 seasons.  One of those small town sheriff shows.  Overall it was a really good show.  I wasn't fond of how it ended, but that's probably just me.  And season 4 or 5 it looked like they were going a direction, then suddenly changed their mind and went back to normal.  But worth watching.  

I’m about to finish season 2. They just had the election. I’m enjoying it.

I thought I would watch "Phantom Threads" because it was highly rated on Rotten Tomatoes and starred Daniel Day Lewis.

Ever watch a movie and wonder why you watched the whole thing? That was me... Lewis did a great job, but I didn't like his character at all.

On Hulu - Gemeni Man starring Will Smith. I enjoyed it a lot. Very entertaining movie. 

Spoiler

The CGI was pretty good... but there are times when it is obvious.  After watching I read more about how they made the movie with a younger version of himself... pretty interesting and cool.

Edited by True Grich

On 9/9/2020 at 11:52 AM, DCAngelsFan said:

First episode was really solid.

The 2nd episode?  HBO should ask for their money back - that episode was a confused mess and I think they lost me - I may never watch #3 to give it another chance - just too many other ways to spend an hour.   

Agreed. The first episode was pretty cool, but the second episode felt like some Ryan Murphy AHS shit.