• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Clubhouse Chemistry (EDIT: nope, not a thing; this team is a disaster)

BTH

5 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Really crossing my fingers that Adell comes back up and breaks out... that would be the perfect boost for these guys.

I think Adell just needs to crush it on both sides of the ball at AAA and come up with confidence.

The tough part would be finding him playing time, if everyone's healthy.

Regarding chemistry, I don't think the recent 4 game losing streak and pitching letdowns were a random occurrence, given that we had both Stassi and Suzuki out of the lineup.  They are pretty instrumental to good pitcher performance in my opinion.  Even though a no hitter was thrown by Detmers without one of them, he had great defensive support in that game. 

I wrote this last year 

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/03/09/angels-banking-on-team-chemistry-to-lift-their-performances

I spoke to a writer who did a book on chemistry. She made the point that there’s a difference between “chemistry” and “camaraderie.” One matters and one doesn’t.

Ill let you guys read the story. 

7 hours ago, tomsred said:

Regarding chemistry, I don't think the recent 4 game losing streak and pitching letdowns were a random occurrence, given that we had both Stassi and Suzuki out of the lineup.  They are pretty instrumental to good pitcher performance in my opinion.  Even though a no hitter was thrown by Detmers without one of them, he had great defensive support in that game. 

Meh, in the previous week they were missing the same catchers and they had a 1.55 ERA over 7 games, taking 2 of 3 from TB and 3 of 4 from OAK.

9 hours ago, Trendon said:

I think Adell just needs to crush it on both sides of the ball at AAA and come up with confidence.

The tough part would be finding him playing time, if everyone's healthy.

Not sure about the playing time thing. We've been trotting out MI's in the OF fairly regularly. The way Joe is resting players, seems like there'd be AB's for him.

9 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

FWIW, I was around the team for a bit, and the 2014 team had by far the most cohesive group Id ever seen. 

I personally think theres something to it. A good shift at work is when you have good partners. If nobody really digs on each other, everybody is just going through the motions.

Syndegaard strikes me as the kind of guy to be good for the current group. Hes a veteran with a good success rep, so young guys wil listen. And the pitching staff has needed a guy like that for awhile.

He also strikes me as the type that will thrive by playing alongside of Trout and Ohtani. Syndegaard is a big name and all, but he seems "alpha jock" enough to step it up, recognizing hes in a pretty good spot.

Who knows how all the personalities mesh, but I think its far enough along that these guys are starting to believe, and get some swagger. 

Really crossing my fingers that Adell comes back up and breaks out... that would be the perfect boost for these guys.

I think many of us probably spend more waking hours with our teammates or co-workers than our family - your relationship with them is always going to color your performance and your attitude towards life.

It helps to "like" each other - but it's more than that, of course.  I've worked on teams that got along great, but our collective performance didn't reflect it.  

Whether you *like* the guy next to or not, they need to be the kind of person you'd want in a foxhole with you, as the saying goes.  

Trust and character are really important - you want your teammates to be trustworthy, reliable, and who give and get mutual respect, who are more dedicated to the mission (in this case, the team) than they're dedicated to their own ego.  Runaway egos can be super-toxic in a team setting.  Differences are fine - and a little piss and vinegar and a little internal competition can be good things, in the right measure.  In a team, not everyone has to be best buds - it's kind of impossible - but everyone should "fit."  

And to relate it to my own experiences - I notice a *lot* of people in the tech community are guilty of hiding / hoarding information.  They think it gives them power if they're the only one who knows how to do something.  

That's a shitty ethos - I will teach anyone who asks everything I know - because it makes us all, collectively, better.  As an NCO, that was what you were for - to teach, to mentor, and to model - not for the benefit of 1, but for the benefit of everyone.

You want players who'll do the same - who'll give away all of their secrets to a teammate, because it makes the team better.  

Anyway - I think you're right about Syndergaard- he's *an* alpha, and provides a little steel on the team, while recognizing he's surrounded by alphas who are as good/better than him, who are kind of easy-going and aren't going to elbow him aside for better publicity.  He doesn't have to be *the* alpha, just can be himself.  From here, he seems like a really good fit.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Meh, in the previous week they were missing the same catchers and they had a 1.55 ERA over 7 games, taking 2 of 3 from TB and 3 of 4 from OAK.

Jeff, how much longer do Angels go with 3 man bench? With one member who cannot play in field right now. What day does your book come out? Be nice if Ohtani can pitch and hit HR that day.

11 hours ago, Trendon said:

gettyimages-1396592782-594x594-1.webp

Like a lot of other people, I kind of laughed it off and ignored Perry Minasian's comments about clubhouse chemistry, makeup, etc. but this Noah Syndergaard post-game quote stood out tonight:

"We all mesh really well. And Perry — I don’t know what kind of formula he has   but everybody in this clubhouse, we’re all pulling for another, we’re all rooting [for another], we’re all trying to make each other better. So it’s a lot of fun and it’s just a really awesome thing to be a part of."

AA preached that same clubhouse chemistry and makeup stuff in Atlanta when Perry was there, and Perry has always spoken about being in the clubhouse growing up and seeing it make an impact. To add on, I just saw Twins players discussing the same thing impacting their own club this season compared to last season.

So it's not quantifiable, but I'm starting to buy into this idea/concept/theory.

If players believe anything it's real enough.   

The neat thing is like you pointed out, a player actually talking about it and giving credit to the GM for creating it is likely a sign the players are talking about it.

So, kudos to Perry.

46 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Jeff, how much longer do Angels go with 3 man bench? With one member who cannot play in field right now. What day does your book come out? Be nice if Ohtani can pitch and hit HR that day.

After Sunday they aren't going to have a choice. They are going to have to eliminate one pitcher from the roster because of the MLB roster regulations. All teams will be limited to 13, but the Angels will get 14 because of Ohtani. Right now they have 15, including Ohtani.

The book comes out July 12. 

2 hours ago, BigVladdy said:

Not sure about the playing time thing. We've been trotting out MI's in the OF fairly regularly. The way Joe is resting players, seems like there'd be AB's for him.

At the moment, yeah there'd be playing time, but, ideally, they'd have a healthy everyday OF of Marsh-Trout-Ward, which would leave Adell no playing time.

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

If players believe anything it's real enough.   

The neat thing is like you pointed out, a player actually talking about it and giving credit to the GM for creating it is likely a sign the players are talking about it.

So, kudos to Perry.

I give credit to Perry in putting this group together. Winning really makes a difference in team chemistry.Thor is having a great season so far and hopefully he continues with his success. This also a great spot for him as he is pitching once a week and in a long season will benefit him and halos. Big payday for Thor could be coming after this season.

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

At the moment, yeah there'd be playing time, but, ideally, they'd have a healthy everyday OF of Marsh-Trout-Ward, which would leave Adell no playing time.

Yeah, agreed.  I think if Ward needs to hit the IL, we'd see Adell recalled and get his shot.  But if Ward's absence is just temporary, the 4th OF role gets maybe 2 days (max 3) a week or so of work, which is not what Adell needs.  The dude needs to be playing every single day to continue to work on plate discipline and his defense.

7 hours ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I think many of us probably spend more waking hours with our teammates or co-workers than our family - your relationship with them is always going to color your performance and your attitude towards life.

It helps to "like" each other - but it's more than that, of course.  I've worked on teams that got along great, but our collective performance didn't reflect it.  

Whether you *like* the guy next to or not, they need to be the kind of person you'd want in a foxhole with you, as the saying goes.  

Trust and character are really important - you want your teammates to be trustworthy, reliable, and who give and get mutual respect, who are more dedicated to the mission (in this case, the team) than they're dedicated to their own ego.  Runaway egos can be super-toxic in a team setting.  Differences are fine - and a little piss and vinegar and a little internal competition can be good things, in the right measure.  In a team, not everyone has to be best buds - it's kind of impossible - but everyone should "fit."  

And to relate it to my own experiences - I notice a *lot* of people in the tech community are guilty of hiding / hoarding information.  They think it gives them power if they're the only one who knows how to do something.  

That's a shitty ethos - I will teach anyone who asks everything I know - because it makes us all, collectively, better.  As an NCO, that was what you were for - to teach, to mentor, and to model - not for the benefit of 1, but for the benefit of everyone.

You want players who'll do the same - who'll give away all of their secrets to a teammate, because it makes the team better.  

Anyway - I think you're right about Syndergaard- he's *an* alpha, and provides a little steel on the team, while recognizing he's surrounded by alphas who are as good/better than him, who are kind of easy-going and aren't going to elbow him aside for better publicity.  He doesn't have to be *the* alpha, just can be himself.  From here, he seems like a really good fit.

You don't have to like each other, however you have to trust to have each other's back.