• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ A's (5/13/22 6:40 start): Silseth makes his debut, Ward back in the starting lineup

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yes, as I said. And he seems to have taken another half step forward on the mound, so even if he only contributes 3 WAR with the bat, he could be at 4+ WAR as a pitcher - still one of the best in the game.

But Ohtani is not a player you settle on - "at least he's this good." 

I'm not convinced this is the real Ohtani, but just starting to worry that it might be. I can still see him catching fire and hitting 10 HR in a month, and being back up to elite levels, but it is a long time coming.

Also consider that the ball appears to be "dead" this year and that offense is down all around.  Hitters who were highly dependent on launch angle and HRs are having some trouble.  Ohtani's "down" numbers might in part reflect that, too.

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I am. We're not talking about just a slow start - he's been at this level for 435 PA now. I wonder if he's trying too hard to hit every ball out, and needs to go back to a more contact-oriented approach. I mean, even last year his BA dropped 30 points from his first two seasons. I was hoping that, this year, he'd combine the average of 2018-19 with the power and walks of 2021, but it seems like he's done the reverse.

Yes, I am concerned as well but I will say his approach over the past few games has been better - trying to hit it up the middle and to left-center. His swing and miss rate is concerning and he does revert back to being pull happy frequently. 

What's pretty neat about this is that except for perhaps those who are really into the MLB draft and college baseball, most probably had no idea who Silseth was entering the season, and in the blink of an eye, he's now a legit prospect and pitching a great first MLB game.  What a meteoric rise for this kid.

3 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

I'd imagine he's getting sent down no matter what after today's game for a pen arm with the double header. I hope he's back for is next start though.

Yeah.  After this, we likely don't need another start from a 6th starter until May 29th.  I would say he goes down after the game, as will Diaz after tomorrow's DH, and they'll roll with an expanded pen until May 29th.

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Also consider that the ball appears to be "dead" this year and that offense is down all around.  Hitters who were highly dependent on launch angle and HRs are having some trouble.  Ohtani's "down" numbers might in part reflect that, too.

Yeah, I know - but I'm primarily looking at wRC+. He's still at 120ish, which is solid in a Garret Anderson sort of way, but not elite (150ish+).

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

What's pretty neat about this is that except for perhaps those who are really into the MLB draft and college baseball, most probably had no idea who Silseth was entering the season, and in the blink of an eye, he's now a legit prospect and pitching a great first MLB game.  What a meteoric rise for this kid.

I don't think anyone would have thought the first player from that draft in the majors would be an 11th round pick.