• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Chase Silseth selected to start tomorrow's game in Oakland vs. the A's?

Chuck

42 minutes ago, mmc said:

My longtime girlfriend’s grandma who I loved also died a bit suddenly only a few days prior, so it’s been a rough stretch for me.  This team finally looking good + the conversations on the board gave definitely helped my spirits though 

Hang in there bro, sorry to hear the bad stretch youre going through

2 hours ago, mmc said:

My longtime girlfriend’s grandma who I loved also died a bit suddenly only a few days prior, so it’s been a rough stretch for me.  This team finally looking good + the conversations on the board gave definitely helped my spirits though 

Happy we can lift your spirits. We’re here for you, buddy. Very sorry for your losses.

6 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

@eligrba and @eligrba4ever, are you going to take this kind of trash-talking?

Eli was a talented, when sober, pitcher. He deserves a salute for winning the Angels' first game in the American League and for being the first among MLB's expansion draft discards to be chosen by Mr. Haney. But demon rum prevented Mr. Grba from sustained baseball success, as he said in his late-life autobiography.

7 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

Eli was a talented, when sober, pitcher. He deserves a salute for winning the Angels' first game in the American League and for being the first among MLB's expansion draft discards to be chosen by Mr. Haney. But demon rum prevented Mr. Grba from sustained baseball success, as he said in his late-life autobiography.

I will always remember as a 10 year old coming home from school on opening day 1961.  Angels a 7 to 3 winner thanks to Big Klu 2 HR and a complete game by Eli Grba. Years later a friends dad had a bar in El Monte where Eli spent many days. I got an autograph ball by Mr. Grba signed thanks for the memories best wishes Eli. He will be remembered by me as the first Angel. 

A couple things to clarify..

When someone is added to the 40-man to replace a covid guy, he can be removed without being DFA’d. So that would apply to both catchers and Whitefield. I don’t remember who took Duffy’s spot.

If you are the 27th man for a DH, the normal option rules don’t apply. You can come back less than 10 days after you were optioned. 

Quijada and Fletcher are both 60-day IL candidates to create spots. 

If my math is right, they don’t need either Diaz or Silseth to start again until May 29, so I assume both will be sent back down after they pitch. 

Normally I wouldn't approve, but after watching a few games of this kid, I can totally understand why they're doing it.  I really doubt you're gonna see 96/97.  I'd expect 94/95.  But he's a full on bulldog on the mound.  Gets the ball and goes.  Hopefully he gets ahead in the count enough to feature that split change.  It's just nasty guys.  One of the nastiest pitches I've seen this year.  I mentioned in the minor league thread that he's Scherzer like.  Not from a stuff standpoint as of yet but even though I think if he develops the command he can be really really good.  Which is frankly what can be said of a lot of pitching prospects with good stuff.  But from a 'get in the box and let's go' mentality.  

And kudos to the halos for drafting and signing him.  There were signability issues following him from the word go.  Even in the earlier rounds.  No one thought he'd sign for what he did because he got 4th round money yet teams were afraid of going there even then.  So they obviously built some rapport with him and his people.  

But this call up is as much about his mound presence and confidence as it is his readiness.  

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

When someone is added to the 40-man to replace a covid guy, he can be removed without being DFA’d. So that would apply to both catchers and Whitefield. I don’t remember who took Duffy’s spot.

If you are the 27th man for a DH, the normal option rules don’t apply. You can come back less than 10 days after you were optioned. 

If my math is right, they don’t need either Diaz or Silseth to start again until May 29, so I assume both will be sent back down after they pitch. 

Isn't Quijada coming back soon?  Believe it was Rhett who said the other day he was throwing again?

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Thanks!  That's a significant benefit.

Mayfield was called up (he had just been sent down a few days prior) when Duffy went on the IL.  I suspect when Duffy is ready, perhaps we'll see Mayfield sent back down again, as Duffy backs up 2B/1B (and maybe 3B).

The catchers make sense.  Wallach looks rather good to me as a backup, but I suspect they won't DFA Suzuki, so if they can simply "return" Wallach back, along with Romine, without subjecting them to the DFA process, that would make sense.

I have mixed feelings on Whitefield.  I don't think he's ready, but he does serve as a good 4th OF - solid defense, speed.  He would seem to be a superior 4th OF candidate than Rojas.

So just thinking aloud about the future of this rotation ..

What a difference a year makes.  Peering into 2023, right now it looks like we should have at least the following:  Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers, Silseth, Suarez, Canning, Diaz, Junk.  In AA, we have Bachman, Bush, Kerry, Crow - all possibilities that aren't too far away and would seem likely to at least start making MLB appearances in 2023, if not become part of the rotation.  

I also would assume the FO would probably add a FA SP to the mix in the same way they did this offseason, to help provide another solid arm and further depth.

Some of the above will regress and/or have injuries, but nevertheless, that's a pretty solid crew to have in terms of rotation options.

8 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

What a difference a year makes.  Peering into 2023, right now it looks like we should have at least the following:  Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers, Silseth, Suarez, Canning, Diaz, Junk.  In AA, we have Bachman, Bush, Kerry, Crow - all possibilities that aren't too far away and would seem likely to at least start making MLB appearances in 2023, if not become part of the rotation.  

I also would assume the FO would probably add a FA SP to the mix in the same way they did this offseason, to help provide another solid arm and further depth.

Some of the above will regress and/or have injuries, but nevertheless, that's a pretty solid crew to have in terms of rotation options.

I could also see a move or two at the deadline that bolsters the team for the stretch that requires losing a couple of these guys 

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Don't forget Chris Rodriguez. I know, I know, but...he's so talented, and I still like his upside better than Detmers, although he's far less likely to reach it. 

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Don't forget Chris Rodriguez. I know, I know, but...he's so talented, and I still like his upside better than Detmers, although he's far less likely to reach it. 

CRod might end up becoming a bullpen piece.  He'd be a fantastic one at that, but his delivery seems a bit rough, which might necessitate a move to the bullpen.  Notably, he has not yet hit 70 innings in a season yet.

He could be a devastating multi-inning weapon and could effectively be our bridge to Iglesias, which would make him incredibly useful.

Just now, Warfarin said:

CRod might end up becoming a bullpen piece.  He'd be a fantastic one at that, but his delivery seems a bit rough, which might necessitate a move to the bullpen.  He could be a devastating multi-inning weapon and could effectively be our bridge to Iglesias, which would make him incredibly useful.

Yes, true, although to be honest, I think Bachman will also end up in the bullpen, for similar reasons. I know we all want him to be a starter, but there are worse results than him apprenticing to Raisel for a couple years (like Wetteland/Rivera or Percival/FRod) and then becoming an elite closer.

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

Yes, true, although to be honest, I think Bachman will also end up in the bullpen, for similar reasons. I know we all want him to be a starter, but there are worse results than him apprenticing to Raisel for a couple years (like Wetteland/Rivera or Percival/FRod) and then becoming an elite closer.

Yeah, I could see that.  We have a number of promising guys in AA who either have looked really good or have significant potential, but realistically, a number of prospects don't pan out despite looking good in AA.

As things stand now, if even just 2 of them pan out as SPs (let's just randomly say Silseth and Bachman), then a future core of Ohtani, Sandoval, Silseth, Detmers, and Bachman, with a number of other MLB caliber starters (Canning, Diaz, Suarez, etc) waiting in the wings is very good depth.

A strong bullpen is just about as essential as a strong rotation, so if, say, CRod, Bush, and others become excellent relievers, then that's a good outcome, too.

It's pretty neat to look at the team and see most "possible holes" filled or have promising prospects almost ready to step in.

12 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I will always remember as a 10 year old coming home from school on opening day 1961.  Angels a 7 to 3 winner thanks to Big Klu 2 HR and a complete game by Eli Grba. Years later a friends dad had a bar in El Monte where Eli spent many days. I got an autograph ball by Mr. Grba signed thanks for the memories best wishes Eli. He will be remembered by me as the first Angel. 

Where in El Monte? My parents owned a bar in El Monte back in the 60's.

1 hour ago, greginpsca said:

Where in El Monte? My parents owned a bar in El Monte back in the 60's.

I'm not sure but it was late 70's. My friend has season seats for a few years and his dad knew I was big Angel fan. Mentioned Grba and I told him story of coming home from school in 1961 after halo victory in first game. I never met Eli Grba.

Welp. I just bought season tickets in the Diamond club (120 Row D)...I kinda feel like a dummy, but I think it was worth it given how often I've bought tickets over the standard price on Stubhub and vivid seats. Don't screw this season up, Angels!!!

edit: whoops posted this in the wrong thread. Oh well.

Edited by failos

17 minutes ago, failos said:

Welp. I just bought season tickets in the Diamond club (120 Row D)...I kinda feel like a dummy, but I think it was worth it given how often I've bought tickets over the standard price on Stubhub and vivid seats. Don't screw this season up, Angels!!!

edit: whoops posted this in the wrong thread. Oh well.

The cognitive dissonance of someone whose nick is "failos" buying season tickets ... 😉

I remember when I had to buy subscriptions to mlb.tv to watch the games, and it seemed every damn time I ordered, they immediately cratered.  

But (thus far, knock wood), this not only a good team, but a helluva fun team to watch - enjoy, I'm jealous!

12 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

According to the roster on the Angels MLB site, Peguero was sent down yesterday.  Shouldn't that clear the roster spot for Silseth?  

It clears a 26 man roster spot, but not a 40 man one.

The 40 man one will likely be Fletcher being transferred to the 60-day IL.