• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Chase Silseth selected to start tomorrow's game in Oakland vs. the A's?

Chuck

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

And what's more, this doesn't appear to be a spot start, this is an audition. If it was a spot start, you use someone in AAA that'll clear waivers once you find a better option, like Cesar Valdez. 

Silseth may be a member of the rotation going forward if he pitches like he has. 

When you supplant guys like Suarez, Barria, Junk and even Canning, that says something. Though I'd argue that if Griffin Canning were healthy and stretched out, it would probably be him getting the call. 

I think it is probably both a spot start and an audition.  I do think he will go back down after the game, in part because they'll want a heavily reinforced bullpen for the DH the next day, but I would assume that if he shows well, he will be recalled back to the rotation in a fairly short timeframe thereafter.

9 minutes ago, Second Base said:

And what's more, this doesn't appear to be a spot start, this is an audition. If it was a spot start, you use someone in AAA that'll clear waivers once you find a better option, like Cesar Valdez. 

Silseth may be a member of the rotation going forward if he pitches like he has. 

When you supplant guys like Suarez, Barria, Junk and even Canning, that says something. Though I'd argue that if Griffin Canning were healthy and stretched out, it would probably be him getting the call. 

If Selseth is truly a find and settles into the rotation AND Canning gets healthy and pitches like he did in 19/20 (particularly 20), that would be pitching depth we haven't had since....?.....maybe forever....lot of Ifs though...

47 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think it is probably both a spot start and an audition.  I do think he will go back down after the game, in part because they'll want a heavily reinforced bullpen for the DH the next day, but I would assume that if he shows well, he will be recalled back to the rotation in a fairly short timeframe thereafter.

That's a very good point. I wonder if they will send him to Salt Lake or Rocket City after the game. 

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

In other news, Angels to call up David Clyde...

OK, not quite the same thing. Clyde was 18 and had never pitched a minor league game. But I hope the Angels aren't rushing this.

Well...he DID have a no-no through his first 5-6 innings!  I remember watching it (I believe it was the Saturday National Game of the Week.)

I'd been arguing that it made more sense to call up Diaz for the DH on Saturday, because this will require a 40-man move, unless someone else goes on the Covid IL. (And Duffy is coming off, too)...

But it looks like they're doing that too. That's why he was "sent down" after last Friday, because normally, you can't come back up for a number of days, unless you're replacing a guy on the injured list, but for DH, you can.

Are the reinforcements for the Covid IL guys exposed to waivers when they are sent off the 40-man? They clearly need a third catcher and it's likely to be Wallach, since Thaiss is also on the IL. (Not Sure if there is a Covid IL in the Minors).

Sending Fletcher to the 60-Day DL is likely for one of the moves, but the other (Bringing Duffy Back) is a question.

Then what happens when Stassi, Suzuki, and Thaiss (maybe) come back from the Covid IL?

They currently have 46 guys on the 40-man roster, with Criswell, Canning, Rodriguez all on the 60-Day DL, and Duffy, Stassi, Rojas, and Suzuki on the Covid IL. Thaiss is also possibly one the Covid IL as I mentioned above, but I don't know how it works.

It looks like then that they have one spot, unless I counted wrong, for Duffy to return, and then they'll likely put Fletcher (or maybe Quijada) on the 60-Day DL. Quijada has already been out over 30 days and oblique injuries are at least 7-8 weeks.

Well, Perry seems neither risk-adverse or foolish, so it might be that he feels Silseth is truly ready - and we've been talking about him a lot in the minor leagues thread.

As for Diaz, to me he's another Barria: soft-tossing, solid guy to have for spot starts and/or mop-up, but very limited upside. Silseth has legit stuff, maybe higher upside than Ky Bush (imo), and is less likely to get hurt than Bachman. He's got a combination of upside and solid performance this year that makes a promotion not the craziest thing.

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

If Selseth is truly a find and settles into the rotation AND Canning gets healthy and pitches like he did in 19/20 (particularly 20), that would be pitching depth we haven't had since....?.....maybe forever....lot of Ifs though...

Since 1962 when halos had Belinsky, Bowsfield, Chance, McBride, Newman, Grba and Don Lee as starters. Solid everyone of them except for maybe  Grba.

40 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I'd been arguing that it made more sense to call up Diaz for the DH on Saturday, because this will require a 40-man move, unless someone else goes on the Covid IL. (And Duffy is coming off, too)...

But it looks like they're doing that too. That's why he was "sent down" after last Friday, because normally, you can't come back up for a number of days, unless you're replacing a guy on the injured list, but for DH, you can.

Are the reinforcements for the Covid IL guys exposed to waivers when they are sent off the 40-man? They clearly need a third catcher and it's likely to be Wallach, since Thaiss is also on the IL. (Not Sure if there is a Covid IL in the Minors).

Sending Fletcher to the 60-Day DL is likely for one of the moves, but the other (Bringing Duffy Back) is a question.

Then what happens when Stassi, Suzuki, and Thaiss (maybe) come back from the Covid IL?

They currently have 46 guys on the 40-man roster, with Criswell, Canning, Rodriguez all on the 60-Day DL, and Duffy, Stassi, Rojas, and Suzuki on the Covid IL. Thaiss is also possibly one the Covid IL as I mentioned above, but I don't know how it works.

It looks like then that they have one spot, unless I counted wrong, for Duffy to return, and then they'll likely put Fletcher (or maybe Quijada) on the 60-Day DL. Quijada has already been out over 30 days and oblique injuries are at least 7-8 weeks.

I think a pitcher is going on IL on Friday. 

3 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Angels definitely could have given Cesar Valdez a chance to start as he is a probable pitcher for SL tonight and that would have been acceptable with the way he’s been pitching. Hell, even Suarez’s turn in the rotation is tomorrow as well. I’m choosing to believe this is actually a case that they think Silseth is ready.

Pitchers like Silseth are the future for the halos not Valdez. The future is now. I do not see Angels going after any pitchers at trade deadline. 

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

A lot of nuances and things to consider for sure.  I'm not sure about how they will accommodate everyone once they are ready to return.

Just a few thoughts:

1.  Fletcher will likely go to the 60-day IL tomorrow for Silseth

2.  When one of Stassi or Suzuki is ready to return, Romine will likely be DFA'd and outrighted (I doubt anyone will pick him up)

3.  When one of the COVID IL guys is ready to return (Duffy?), it's possible Quijada will be transferred to the 60-day IL as well, since he has been out for over a month now and does not sound like he is that close to returning

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what they'll do beyond that.  Criswell and Rodriguez will likely stay on the 60-day IL all year, and I am guessing Canning won't come off immediately when he is eligible.

The questions are moreso what will happen when our 2nd catcher and Rojas are ready to return, but as we have seen .. guys get hurt, etc.  Worst case scenario is they will DFA one of their relievers that are in AAA.

7 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

A lot of nuances and things to consider for sure.  I'm not sure about how they will accommodate everyone once they are ready to return.

Just a few thoughts:

1.  Fletcher will likely go to the 60-day IL tomorrow for Silseth

2.  When one of Stassi or Suzuki is ready to return, Romine will likely be DFA'd and outrighted (I doubt anyone will pick him up)

3.  When one of the COVID IL guys is ready to return (Duffy?), it's possible Quijada will be transferred to the 60-day IL as well, since he has been out for over a month now and does not sound like he is that close to returning

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what they'll do beyond that.  Criswell and Rodriguez will likely stay on the 60-day IL all year, and I am guessing Canning won't come off immediately when he is eligible.

The questions are moreso what will happen when our 2nd catcher and Rojas are ready to return, but as we have seen .. guys get hurt, etc.  Worst case scenario is they will DFA one of their relievers that are in AAA.

They could DFA Rojas.