• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Chase Silseth selected to start tomorrow's game in Oakland vs. the A's?

Chuck

12 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Sandoval was acquired in a trade, so not really "homegrown."  Your larger point still stands, though!

You are correct but we can use some specious reasoning and claim him. Allow me to spew a bunch of BS.. 

Maldonado was a product of the farm system who for reasons we will ignore because narrative reasons ended up in Milwaukee.  We then traded former Angels farmhand Jett Bandy to obtain former Angels farmhand Martin Maldonado (SOOO MUCH ANGELS FARMHANDERY!!!!11!!!), who we then traded for Sandoval who was an Angels fan growing up so technically the realest of Angels farm products (pull those boots up boys the shit is getting thick) and then they made him a full time starter Thuuuuuuuus...   FARM HAND.

BS aside, he may not have been an actual product of the farm but an argument can be made that the developmental process in Anaheim helped him reach his potential.

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You are correct but we can use some specious reasoning and claim him. Allow me to spew a bunch of BS.. 

Maldonado was a product of the farm system who for reasons we will ignore because narrative reasons ended up in Milwaukee.  We then traded former Angels farmhand Jett Bandy to obtain former Angels farmhand Martin Maldonado (SOOO MUCH ANGELS FARMHANDERY!!!!11!!!), who we then traded for Sandoval who was an Angels fan growing up so technically the realest of Angels farm products (pull those boots up boys the shit is getting thick) and then they made him a full time starter Thuuuuuuuus...   FARM HAND.

BS aside, he may not have been an actual product of the farm but an argument can be made that the developmental process in Anaheim helped him reach his potential.

I do believe that we can put a  home grown tag on Sandoval. Originally when we acquired him, he was considered a 4/5 or a BP arm, and as we see that was not true. like you said, He took that next step under our development. 

What is interesting to me is Silseth is being both added to the 40-man AND promoted to make a start.  It is interesting that they did not earmark this spot for either Suarez or Junk (Diaz cannot be recalled, as 10 days have not yet passed).

Much like the Whitefield promotion, it is fascinating to read into this in the context of both who got promoted and, likewise, who was "skipped over" as well.  By far, the easier route would have been to simply recall one of the two aforementioned pitchers, since this will also necessitate a 40-man roster move, too.

Angels definitely could have given Cesar Valdez a chance to start as he is a probable pitcher for SL tonight and that would have been acceptable with the way he’s been pitching. Hell, even Suarez’s turn in the rotation is tomorrow as well. I’m choosing to believe this is actually a case that they think Silseth is ready.

3 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Angels definitely could have given Cesar Valdez a chance to start as he is a probable pitcher for SL tonight and that would have been acceptable with the way he’s been pitching. Hell, even Suarez’s turn in the rotation is tomorrow as well. I’m choosing to believe this is actually a case that they think Silseth is ready.

They clearly do, and what it suggests to me is not only that they think he's ready, but that he is a superior pitching option than Suarez or Junk.  Very exciting to see that level of confidence in him.

9 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Funny, I read the same thing in two different spots, haha

I haven't followed the minors as closely as I used to...

Can someone explain this to me? How did he last to the 11th round? Was he injured? Is he short? Did he develop more velocity or a new pitch since college? Was he a reliever they stretched out? 

In a more general sense... What's his ceiling? Are we looking at a potential ace, a solid mid-rotation guy, or a back end guy that you're happy to have start a game instead of a bullpen day?

10 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Can someone explain this to me? How did he last to the 11th round? Was he injured? Is he short? Did he develop more velocity or a new pitch since college? Was he a reliever they stretched out? 

In a more general sense... What's his ceiling? Are we looking at a potential ace, a solid mid-rotation guy, or a back end guy that you're happy to have start a game instead of a bullpen day?

Silseth was projected to be drafted in the top 5ish rounds and maybe even top 3 rounds. I think there were concerns about how signable he was as a lot of people had him penciled in as returning to Arizona for another year. Once he started falling in the draft I’m sure the concerns grew but the Angels were able to give him a bonus big enough to have him leave college early.

Edited by rafibomb

7 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Here is a scouting report from before the minor league season began:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/chase-silseth-looks-like-angels-2021-draft-sleeper/

The Angels didn’t treat him as such, signing the 6-foot, 217-pound Silseth to an over-slot $485,000. He quickly impressed the organization with solid command of a four-pitch mix led by a lively fastball that averages 96 mph and touches 98, a nice bump from the 93 he threw in college.

The 21-year-old Silseth has good feel for two secondary pitches, a slurvy curve with more of a 12-to-6 break that he throws between 78-82 mph and a tighter-breaking 84 mph slider.

Though he gets more whiffs with his curve, both breaking pitches have a chance to be plus. Silseth also keeps hitters off-balance with an 80 mph splitter with good depth.

Silseth is learning how to manipulate his breaking pitches—when to throw them for strikes and how to expand the zone with them and make hitters chase—and the splitter gives him a fourth pitch, which should allow him to remain in the rotation for now.

In terms of a 40-man roster move, I am going to assume Fletcher will be moved to the 60-day IL (to create a 40-man roster spot), and maybe Pelguero gets optioned (to create a 26-man roster spot).  After his debut, I imagine Silseth will get optioned and, for the DH on Saturday, a reliever (Wantz? Rosenberg? Marte?) will get recalled.

11 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

In terms of a 40-man roster move, I am going to assume Fletcher will be moved to the 60-day IL (to create a 40-man roster spot), and maybe Pelguero gets optioned (to create a 26-man roster spot).  After his debut, I imagine Silseth will get optioned and, for the DH on Saturday, a reliever (Wantz? Rosenberg? Marte?) will get recalled.

5 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Ahh, there ya go!  26-man roster spot created.

For the DH on Saturday, I imagine they'd recall him (think you can recall someone within a 10 day window for the purposes of serving as the 27th player for a DH), along with perhaps Wantz, so they have a stacked pen.

Then, when the 6th spot comes around on Wednesday, they'll likely recall either Diaz or Suarez to make that start (since Silseth will have been optioned after Friday's game).  I will assume Lorenzen and Sandoval will start the DH games.

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

Love to see the aggressive promotion. But can a guy who was an 11th round draft pick, just one year ago, really have evolved from essentially a non-prospect into a solid MLB contributor? Are we getting ahead ourselves? 

Yes....let's see what he can do first...I wouldn't call him a "non-prospect"....obviously he wasn't a top tier prospect (Bachman) but he obviously has opened some eyes.....and oh by the way, Sandoval was an 11 round pick of the Astros....

I think this move also highlights the inexact science of scouting and drafting. Silseth was fantastic in college, but because it was believed he was done developing, he fell. Talent alone would suggest he should've gone early on the draft, being a successful collegiate starter with immediately translatable stuff, but he lasted until the 11th round.

Most 11th rounders are depth fodder, most 11th rounders aren't in AA 6 months after being drafted. Most 11th rounders aren't major leaguers within a year of being drafted. 

But you never really know until you put them out there and have them work with your coaches and compete. Silseth's stuff has made steps forward across the board and it clearly flummoxed AA hitters. And judging by what I've seen on MiLb.tv, and the select videos, it's no fluke. 

The talent level and potential upside are real. 

And what's more, this doesn't appear to be a spot start, this is an audition. If it was a spot start, you use someone in AAA that'll clear waivers once you find a better option, like Cesar Valdez. 

Silseth may be a member of the rotation going forward if he pitches like he has. 

When you supplant guys like Suarez, Barria, Junk and even Canning, that says something. Though I'd argue that if Griffin Canning were healthy and stretched out, it would probably be him getting the call.