• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Golf—What’s your deal?

Just curious if there are any golfers here and how good they are.

I played “regularly” (like 10 times a year) about 15 years ago but it was definitely screw around golf not really taking shots seriously or even trying to get better.  I am not even sure if I was scoring correctly so my old scores are probably meaningless.  I was shooting 92-96ish but again I doubt I was even counting penalty shots correctly.

Then I didn’t just play more than maybe once a year for 15 years.

I just decided to actually play now and I really like it.  For the first time I am trying to play it to score and not just to drink beer.

I have only about 10 rounds in since my new interest (and buying all new clubs), and so far I have shot between 98 and 108. That’s ugly I know, but it seems like I should be able to get myself into the 80s if I keep it going.

Anybody else play much and how good are you?

25 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Just curious if there are any golfers here and how good they are.

I played “regularly” (like 10 times a year) about 15 years ago but it was definitely screw around golf not really taking shots seriously or even trying to get better.  I am not even sure if I was scoring correctly so my old scores are probably meaningless.  I was shooting 92-96ish but again I doubt I was even counting penalty shots correctly.

Then I didn’t just play more than maybe once a year for 15 years.

I just decided to actually play now and I really like it.  For the first time I am trying to play it to score and not just to drink beer.

I have only about 10 rounds in since my new interest (and buying all new clubs), and so far I have shot between 98 and 108. That’s ugly I know, but it seems like I should be able to get myself into the 80s if I keep it going.

Anybody else play much and how good are you?

I was a 13 handicapper when I quit playing 10 years ago because I wasn't improving and didn't have the time to practice. When I restarted two years ago I had to start from ground zero and went with getting lessons. There was a lot wrong with my swing but a lot good. We've kept what works instead of a complete overhaul.

An elbow injury has sidelined my game and I won't be picking up a club for another 8 weeks but what I'm focusing on now is putting and improving lower body and core flexibility. 

Get lessons from a qualified instructor, that will save you plenty in lost golf balls. The instructor should give you some drills that don't require a driving range to ingrain some simple golf movements and improve your flexibility. Once a day routines even without a club will start putting more shots in the fairway. 

Avoid the factory golf schools like Golf tech. They wow you with video of your swing and graphic over lays then try to sell you club fitting because obviously what you are using is causing the slice. The instructors are mostly salesman following scripts more than really helping with your game.

Find a driving range with sand trap and practice greens that you can chip on. Those are strokes given away every game, not being able to get the ball from 10 yards to the green. 

On Facebook is Me and my Golf that has free instructional videos from a couple of Aussie teaching professionals. Combine that with a private instructor and you should see your scores drop considerably. 

Take no advice from playing partners that play anywhere near your handicap. They are a wealth of misinformation. 

Instead, put your trust in Manolo