• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What was your worst job ever?

I'm sure everyone on this board has had their share of bad jobs. So I want to know what was the worst job you've ever had? 

For me, I had to move back home one summer during college and ended up working at a guard shack in the Coachella Valley. It was new homes in the middle of desert, and I was the sap working the graveyard shift. The weather was in the 100s and I was constantly having to watch out for Roaches, big ass spiders, and wasps. My boss was a huge tweaker, and used to put paper towels around the light sockets so the people he imagined were listening to us couldn't hear. There was no set schedule as he preferred to text one hour before you were supposed to be there in order to "keep you on your toes." Since this was such an efficient way of scheduling employees, very often I would work a 12 hour shift and nobody would relieve me. Oh yeah, he paid us under the table and I had to threaten to call the city on him to get the 'taxes' he was taking out. 

Because you mentioned it, I was reminded of a job I had for one day.

My buddy told me about  job opening at a local gym for the front desk position. I interviewed and they liked me and said they would call me back with details about the job, start date, etc. I get the call but the chick says they are having break ins in the parking lot and want to know if I would like a position as a security guard. I am out of high school and not doing much, so I say sure. The job entails me walking in a 100 yard u shape wearing some bright ass orange vest. Oh, and by the way, I am probably 5'11 and 150 pounds.....not quite the intimidating threat. 

I have never been so bored in my entire life and the time moved so damn slow. No one to talk to and not even much to patrol during the day. It sucked so bad that after I did my shift and went home I called and told them I couldn't do the job because of some knee disorder that the doctor said I couldn't be on my feet that long....some shit like that. The chick supervisor was kind of a ditz and didn't say much but was cool.

So that was one day of the worst job.

Ironically, about a week later she called me and asked if I wanted the front desk position I originally applied for. I took it and ironically turned into one of the best jobs I've had. I knew I would meet chicks, but was not expecting what was to come.

Dishwasher in a steak and seafood restaurant. Not the guy putting the plates in the rack and sliding them through to automatic washer. I was the guy scrubbing the baked on crap off the pots and pans in the water so I hot I could barely stand to stick my hands in. Not the most enjoyable way to earn $3.65 an hour.

My worst "job" ever was community service. It was 20 years ago, but I still have nightmares about it.

Spent a week cleaning the public bathrooms at Huntington State Beach a bright orange vest.

I had 30 hours of community service weed whacking gravestones. I did not know how to use one of those things and was ripping chunks of grass out.

Car repo. Scary stuff. I was trying a box of keys on the door of a car that was next to the window where a guy was watching TV. His window was open and I could hear his breathing over my heavy breathing and heart racing.

Missed out, could have had a reality show.

I'm dying to know, did they ever wash that thing?

The uniform got washed, but the head........

We used to, umm... "smoke things" in the head of that thing when we got the late shift. That smell never went away, so you were kind of Paying It Forward for the next guy.

There was no employee bathroom, so we had to go in the public restroom. Nothing beat the time my friend had the runs while dressed as Chuckie. Kids could see the feet under the stall, and kept calling his name, only to hear, "Get the hell outta here kids, Chuckie is takin a shit""

I remember the look on the manager's face that night as a parent was telling him about this. Priceless

I used to smudge when I was in high school. Lived in Redlands, Calif and we had orange groves everywhere back then. Stayed up all night and lit the smudge pots that were filled with oil and refilled them during the day. Freezing cold, breathed horrible black oil, didn't sleep for hours and was really weird going into groves late at night all alone. All that for $2.00 an hour which was more than I was making at McDonalds back then, $1.35 to cook fries.

I was a salesman for a big and tall men's clothing store in the summer of 1977. I was paid the princely sum of $500 per month, half paid on the first and 15th days of each month, plus three percent of everything over $8K for the month (that's right - the first eight grand, at 1977 prices, brought no commission). This outfit had a time clock that measured time in hundredths of an hour, and they were very picky about both work hours and lunch hours. The chain was owned by a doctor who was making a killing because he had essentially a captive clientele. A number of professional athletes had accounts at our stores. The store manager somehow believed that he was throwing me a major bone by making me manager of the underwear department two months after I hired on. We had no cash registers. All receipts were written out by hand and tabulated using a calculator, including sales tax. Credit cards were run using duplex paper with carbon. It was an archaic operation even by the standards of the time. They spread out the Wall Street Journal on the desk in the break room, so we could all stay up on the latest news in the garment industry. We could buy merchandise at cost plus ten percent, but on our salaries we couldn't afford much. We carried a lot of high-end stuff. We even had a tailor on the premises who custom fit all of our dress pants, suits and (if necessary) dress shirts. He drove a new Cadillac, so I know he was well paid.

The toughest part of the job for me was trying to convince people I was giving them a good deal when I knew that the store had a minimum 100 percent markup on everything we sold. We were ripping customers off because they had nowhere else to go. Strangest pair of pants I sold was 27 inch waist, 43 inch inseam, to an Oklahoma State basketball player.

While driving in to pick up my last paycheck, I heard on the radio that Elvis Presley had died.

The uniform got washed, but the head........

We used to, umm... "smoke things" in the head of that thing when we got the late shift. That smell never went away, so you were kind of Paying It Forward for the next guy.

There was no employee bathroom, so we had to go in the public restroom. Nothing beat the time my friend had the runs while dressed as Chuckie. Kids could see the feet under the stall, and kept calling his name, only to hear, "Get the hell outta here kids, Chuckie is takin a shit""

I remember the look on the manager's face that night as a parent was telling him about this. Priceless

That's a great story. Ah, memories.

I'm kind of undecided between the job driving for Valley Cab where I got stabbed in the shoulder in Panorama City, or the time we were locking up the Mi Casita restaurant in Hawthorne after my shift and 3 guys forced us onto the floor, shot at both of us, killing the other bartender, and torched the place while we were locked inside. Good times.

Or maybe digging out crawl spaces under houses for 2 summers was the worst...

I'm kind of undecided between the job driving for Valley Cab where I got stabbed in the shoulder in Panorama City, or the time we were locking up the Mi Casita restaurant in Hawthorne after my shift and 3 guys forced us onto the floor, shot at both of us, killing the other bartender, and torched the place while we were locked inside. Good times.

Or maybe digging out crawl spaces under houses for 2 summers was the worst...

WTF?  Is this for real? 

I worked as a basketball ref one day for a junior basketball league. Sucked, parents complained and coaches sucked even more. They expect professional refs for kids that are 7 years old. I quit once the day was over.

I have been lucky enough that I have never really had bad jobs. Working at Sport Chalet for nearly two years, that might have been the worst.