• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Taylor Ward on track to return to Angels’ lineup on Saturday

ARLINGTON, Texas — When Taylor Ward returns to the Angels’ lineup, likely on Saturday, he’s going to play every day.

“He’ll play as often as he can,” Angels manager Joe Maddon said on Thursday. “It depends on who the other (corner) outfielder is if he’s in right or left. That’s still up for debate. But I want his bat out there as often as we can.”

Ward had the highest OPS of any of the Angels’ primary corner outfielders last season. His .769 mark was better than Jo Adell (.703), Brandon Marsh (.673) and the recently released Justin Upton (.705).

Ward missed the first week of the season with a mild groin injury, but that’s nearly resolved. He went through a full workout on Thursday, including hitting off a minor league pitcher who the Angels flew in from Phoenix, and he’ll have another similar workout on Friday.

If that all goes well, Ward will be activated on Saturday.

At that point, the Angels could cut their bullpen down from 10 to nine relievers, because the pitchers are all now slightly more built up than they were on Opening Day, or they could option a position player.

Adell has struggled early in the season, but the Angels still might prefer to keep him over Jose Rojas because of his upside. Marsh has started off strong, so he would appear to be the safest bet to hold his spot.

BUTTREY ADDED AT TRIPLE-A

Right-hander Ty Buttrey was added to the active roster at Triple-A Salt Lake, another step in his return after a one-season retirement. Buttrey had been on the developmental list for the first week of the season, so he could work out with the team but not pitch in games.

“I don’t have a report other than I heard he’s throwing the ball well,” Maddon said. “Not, ‘he looks great,’ just that he’s throwing the ball well.”

The Angels will give Buttrey all the time he needs. They would love to see him regain his form from 2018-19, when he posted a 3.86 ERA and worked his way into high-leverage spots.

INJURY UPDATES

Infielder David Fletcher (hip) did not make the trip to Texas. The Angels will have him work with their trainers in Southern California and see where he is when the team returns home. “We’re not putting any (timeframe) on it right now,” head athletic trainer Mike Frostad said.

Right-hander Griffin Canning (back) is scheduled to throw off a mound on Tuesday in Houston. Canning is on the 60-day injured list, so he’s not eligible to return until June 4.

NOTES

The cowboy hat that Anthony Rendon was wearing in the dugout after his home run on Tuesday was provided by Tim Buss, who is officially listed as a “staff assistant” but is unofficially in charge of anything that helps keeps the players loose. Buss said there was no clever origin story to the cowboy hat. “I just threw it in the dugout and they put it on,” he said. “I wish there was more.” The hat was again in the dugout on Thursday in Texas. …

Maddon moved first baseman Jared Walsh up to the No. 3 spot in the order, ahead of third baseman Anthony Rendon. Maddon said it was a temporary switch because the Texas Rangers have so many lefties in their bullpen. By placing Walsh between Mike Trout and Rendon, it makes it tougher for the Rangers to bring in a lefty to face him. …

Maddon said his starters should have their pitch limits increased to around 90 this time through the rotation, after the pitchers were kept to 75-80 the first time through. Michael Lorenzen, who had one more start than everyone else during spring training, already threw 89 in his first start, so he presumably would be close to 100 when he starts on Monday in Houston. …

So far Maddon has been reluctant to use his relievers on back-to-back days because of the shortened spring training. Closer Raisel Iglesias is the only one who has done it. Maddon said left-hander Aaron Loup and right-hander Ryan Tepera would be the next two to “take the blanket off.”

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Reid Detmers, 0-0, 4.50) at Rangers (TBA), Friday, 5:05 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

I hope this means no more Rojas in the OF. I’m hoping they have Ward platoon at 1B against tougher lefties and play right field in all the other games. Then platoon Adell and Marsh in LF & have them both play when Ward covers 1B or Trout needs a breather. Please no more jose rojas starts he sucks 

15 hours ago, AngelsWin.com said:

The cowboy hat that Anthony Rendon was wearing in the dugout after his home run on Tuesday was provided by Tim Buss, who is officially listed as a “staff assistant” but is unofficially in charge of anything that helps keeps the players loose. Buss said there was no clever origin story to the cowboy hat. “I just threw it in the dugout and they put it on,” he said. “I wish there was more.” The hat was again in the dugout on Thursday in Texas. …

1.  I must have missed the job posting for the "Keeping Players Loose" position.

2.  Tim Buss should be fired for his stupid "no clever origin story" response.  Cowboy hat=GENE AUTRY you frickin idiot.......that's exactly what came to my mind when I first saw it.

No wonder the Angels appear as a rudderless ship.  The fricken details matter.

I guess it's time for the blue pill.

7 hours ago, OhtaniSan said:

I hope this means no more Rojas in the OF. I’m hoping they have Ward platoon at 1B against tougher lefties and play right field in all the other games. Then platoon Adell and Marsh in LF & have them both play when Ward covers 1B or Trout needs a breather. Please no more jose rojas starts he sucks 

I hope this means no more Rojas period. In before Maddon keeps him on the roster even after Ward is activated....

43 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I hope this means no more Rojas period. In before Maddon keeps him on the roster even after Ward is activated....

I think the decision comes down to either Rojas or Adell as a bench guy for OF depth. I think Adell needs to play everyday so I wouldn’t be surprised if Rojas stays on the roster 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

honest question: is it Maddon's decision on whether Rojas is kept on the roster? Or would it be Minasian's decision?

In my estimation, I've been one of Rojas' strongest advocates, but even I am now at the point where he needs to be taken off the MLB roster.

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

honest question: is it Maddon's decision on whether Rojas is kept on the roster? Or would it be Minasian's decision?

In my estimation, I've been one of Rojas' strongest advocates, but even I am now at the point where he needs to be taken off the MLB roster.

It's ultimately Minasian's, but Perry has way too much respect for Maddon's decisions that I'm sure he lets him make the call as far as the roster goes. 

3 hours ago, eligrba said:

1.  I must have missed the job posting for the "Keeping Players Loose" position.

2.  Tim Buss should be fired for his stupid "no clever origin story" response.  Cowboy hat=GENE AUTRY you frickin idiot.......that's exactly what came to my mind when I first saw it.

No wonder the Angels appear as a rudderless ship.  The fricken details matter.

Umm, this doesn't matter.

8 minutes ago, mmc said:

Who do you think gets sent down?  

I'd be surprised if it was anyone but Adell/Rojas. Outside chance for Velazquez, but I doubt it since he seems to be Maddon's starting SS with Fletcher out.