• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Selig wants tougher penalties for PED users

Chimi

Exactly. This guy sat there during the McGwire / Sosa sham because it boosted ratings and attendance. Also, he sat there while Pumpkin Head broke the all-time home run record and said nothing. Now, he's going to act tough while the Hall of Fame voters and the newer generation of players who were tested in the minor leagues are the only one's who've ever stood up to that generation of cheaters. As far as I'm concerned, Maris still has the single season home run record and Aaron is still the Home Run King.

Exactly. This guy sat there during the McGwire / Sosa sham because it boosted ratings and attendance. Also, he sat there while Pumpkin Head broke the all-time home run record and said nothing. Now, he's going to act tough while the Hall of Fame voters and the newer generation of players who were tested in the minor leagues are the only one's who've ever stood up to that generation of cheaters. As far as I'm concerned, Maris still has the single season home run record and Aaron is still the Home Run King.

Not to be a Selig apologist.  But the union has a very very very big say in everything.  There is a reason why there has been a relative labor peace for so long.

there has been labor peace because it was very easy for Bud to turn a blind eye on PED use by the players.  As the players union has tremendous power, I am sure they also influence who ends up as the commissioner of baseball.  All parties are culpable here.  The players, the owners, the league, the agents.  Everyone.  EEEEVEEEEERYOOOOONE!!!! (can I get a gif of that? - you know what I'm talkin bout)

It would be different if Bud had tried to take on the union over it and made it an issue earlier. It was very clear what was going on, and baseball did nothing until they had to. That said, now it is time to set it right--blood testing, tougher penalties, get it all actually cleaned up so that we're not all wondering when someone has a good year.

I'm sure it would be much tougher to do but I hope they remove specific testing rules from the CBA and maybe form a panel from both sides who can evaluate the changes in PED's and determine the testing requirements for the given season. It just seems if you have to renegotiate at every turn then you're always behind the curve and it's just a race to make the other side look like the enablers.