• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Underrated Players

118115318.jpeg

Was arguing with someone about a particular player, who I was a big fan of, but I think is overrated.

And I started mentioning guys from the past who had far better numbers, but nobody remembers. As Angel fans, Tim Salmon works perfect here. And that recent Abreu thread I think was pretty surprising, and hes a good example.

Anyway, I was looking up guys from the past that nobody remembers, or at least talks about, and one who really surprised me was Shawn Green. I totally forgot he was a pretty decent base stealer too, to go along with his power numbers.

Who you got?

When I think of underrated players, I think of guys who were really good but are basically forgotten. Especially fringe Hall of Famers: guys better than some who made it in, but for whatever reason haven't made it themselves. Sometimes these are guys who are just overlooked by Hall voters, other times they didn't have the longevity to match their peak.

A few from the last five decades:

Dick Allen: Probably the best hitter not in the Hall - than Bonds, of course, and possibly McGwire. Allen was a total beast and led the majors in wRC+ from 1964-74 (163) - years when Mays, Aaron, Yaz, McCovey, Robinson, etc, were still in their prime. His career wRC+ of 155 is 18th all-time, just ahead of Mays and Thomas.

Reggie Smith: I'm guessing a lot of folks haven't even heard of him, but he compiled 64.6 WAR from 1966-82, including five seasons of 5+ WAR. Never the best player in the game, but just very good for a long time.

Jack Clark: Not quite a Hall of Famer (50.6 WAR) partially due to being injury prone, but Clark was one of the better hitters of the 80s, with a career wRC+ of 138, leading the majors in 1987 with 176.

Bobby Bonds: He gets overshadowed by his son, but Bobby was a really good player, with 57.2 WAR from 1968-81. He was 5th in the majors in WAR from 1969-75.

Dwight Evans: 65.1 WAR and he never gets mentioned as a potential Hall of Famer, probably because he wasn't quite as great as other HOFers at his peak, but was just very good for a very long time.

Pedro Guerrero: Didn't have the longevity or health for the Hall, but he was a great hitter for about a decade, and one of the best hitters of the 80s. His 181 wRC+ in 1985 was the fourth highest of the 80s.

Albert Belle: Remember that season in which he hit 50 doubles and 50 HR? He retired young due to injuries, which kept him from Hall consideration. Oh yeah, probably steroids too, but for a few years there he was one of the most feared hitters in baseball.

Brian Giles: Kind of a forgotten superstar of the Roid Era, Giles had a great run from 99-05 or so.

Lance Berkman: Similar to Giles, Berkman is a bit forgotten but was one of the better hitters of the latter half of the Roid Era.

And plenty of others...

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

When I think of underrated players, I think of guys who were really good but are basically forgotten. Especially fringe Hall of Famers: guys better than some who made it in, but for whatever reason haven't made it themselves. Sometimes these are guys who are just overlooked by Hall voters, other times they didn't have the longevity to match their peak.

A few from the last five decades:

Dick Allen: Probably the best hitter not in the Hall - than Bonds, of course, and possibly McGwire. Allen was a total beast and led the majors in wRC+ from 1964-74 (163) - years when Mays, Aaron, Yaz, McCovey, Robinson, etc, were still in their prime. His career wRC+ of 155 is 18th all-time, just ahead of Mays and Thomas.

Reggie Smith: I'm guessing a lot of folks haven't even heard of him, but he compiled 64.6 WAR from 1966-82, including five seasons of 5+ WAR. Never the best player in the game, but just very good for a long time.

Jack Clark: Not quite a Hall of Famer (50.6 WAR) partially due to being injury prone, but Clark was one of the better hitters of the 80s, with a career wRC+ of 138, leading the majors in 1987 with 176.

Bobby Bonds: He gets overshadowed by his son, but Bobby was a really good player, with 57.2 WAR from 1968-81. He was 5th in the majors in WAR from 1969-75.

Dwight Evans: 65.1 WAR and he never gets mentioned as a potential Hall of Famer, probably because he wasn't quite as great as other HOFers at his peak, but was just very good for a very long time.

Pedro Guerrero: Didn't have the longevity or health for the Hall, but he was a great hitter for about a decade, and one of the best hitters of the 80s. His 181 wRC+ in 1985 was the fourth highest of the 80s.

Albert Belle: Remember that season in which he hit 50 doubles and 50 HR? He retired young due to injuries, which kept him from Hall consideration. Oh yeah, probably steroids too, but for a few years there he was one of the most feared hitters in baseball.

Brian Giles: Kind of a forgotten superstar of the Roid Era, Giles had a great run from 99-05 or so.

Lance Berkman: Similar to Giles, Berkman is a bit forgotten but was one of the better hitters of the latter half of the Roid Era.

And plenty of others...

That's a good list.