• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols

Brandon

That was an important hitting situation for Pujols.  Not because it would get the Angels into the playoffs or anything close to that, but to show the younger players on the team (and the fans) what a true veteran performer does when the game is on the line.  He PERFORMS!  

It was a disgrace to see him end the game on a swing that just looked so pathetic.  Now our younger players (Trout/Trumbo/Bourjos,etc) will know be thinking:  

"Do we really want to stay on this team if or when we get the ability to sign a contract in the future?"  I think NOT.

Thanks Albert.

Okay Ed in Tustin is this what you want me to say. The Angels suck and will never ever win another World Series. In fact they will never win another division championship.  We are all doomed as fans. LOL

No, not really. As for Pujols? Sorry, but the man was brought in to come through more times than not in these situations against tough closers. I can count on one hand (with left over fingers) how many times he has won games in these situations. A check swing strikeout with a ball up under his chin? Really? Either he goes on the DL and gets healthy or he gets no breaks as far as I am concerned. The players  making barely over league minimum are the ones even keeping the team somewhere near the neighborhood of striking distance, if 10 games back can be even called that. That is completely and utterly ridiculous.

Despite this last game/at bat Albert had a very nice series. Keep it going! Buck the haters!

A very nice series (in a season full of very poor ones) is not good enough for the type of salary and expectations that he has. I can count on one hand, without using most of my fingers, how many times he has come through in these situations. I don't hate Albert at all, I am just very disappointed in his lack of production and the failures to come through in situations such as these.

"A very nice series (in a season full of very poor ones) is not good enough for the type of salary and expectations that he has. I can count on one hand, without using most of my fingers, how many times he has come through in these situations. I don't hate Albert at all, I am just very disappointed in his lack of production and the failures to come through in situations such as these."

Ed you are right on the money with this!  He is being paid to perform in those situations and not to swing at chin music.

Pujols has been doing well over the last couple weeks.   He's hitting .314/.373/.569 in June.  He's walking more and striking out less.  His first out today was hit very well... to dead CF.  Mariano Rivera has made many look foolish.  The hits the Angels got weren't exactly struck well.  Those guys could have easily looked somewhat foolish.

This team isn't going anywhere without Pujols or Hamilton.   They could make a run if one performs well.   If both turn it around, they should make it interesting.  Calling for them to be benched is absurd. Well, Pujols, anyway. He has a 118 OPS+ and 1.2 WAR.  Let's see how it plays out.  Last year, it got better.  Hamilton is a different case.  He is only a year removed from being a very good player, though.  You've gotta give it more time.  

Also... even if you think the Angels overpaid for either of these guys... I don't think anyone predicted both to decline this much, this quickly.  Free agents are normally overpaid... it is simply a matter of supply and demand.  I don't remember much outrage over the signings when they happened.  There were a lot of happy Halo Honks.

Now, there are countless calls for Scioscia to be fired, Dipoto to be fired, and Arte to publicly to admit he is an idiot (or something like that).  I still maintain that they have had some bad luck, the organization isn't incompetent, and you need to have some patience. I don't think Scioscia has changed much as a manager over the last 15 years.  I think Jerry Dipoto is the best GM the Angels have had in recent memory. I think Arte Moreno wants to win a World Series. There are some holes there, but this team isn't where they are in the 2013 standings because any of the three are incompetent... or even below average.