• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bobby Abreu HOFer?

Stradling

5 minutes ago, Lou said:

lol.

.395 vs .388

I'd rather have a batter get a hit than walk. 

What about home runs, doubles and stolen bases. We aren't saying Gwynn wasn't great, his ability to hit the ball where the runners weren't was amazing. I also don't let that limit my ability to see Abreu was almost as good because he had other contributions that Gwynn didn't have. We're talking about two great players that are hall of fame/borderline HOF. I think Gwynn was a better ball player, and WAR certainly agrees with that. But Abreu was no slouch and deserved to be in the HOF conversation.

1 minute ago, happybat4 said:

What about home runs, doubles and stolen bases. We aren't saying Gwynn wasn't great, his ability to hit the ball where the runners weren't was amazing. I also don't let that limit my ability to see Abreu was almost as good because he had other contributions that Gwynn didn't have. We're talking about two great players that are hall of fame/borderline HOF. I think Gwynn was a better ball player, and WAR certainly agrees with that. But Abreu was no slouch and deserved to be in the HOF conversation.

My statement was about walks vs hits. 

24 minutes ago, happybat4 said:

Yes. Just not lights year better. They brought pretty similar value overall, but Gwynn brought a little more because of his defense.

Who said he was light years better?  You're making arguments that just aren't there. 

Just now, arch stanton said:

Fascinating debate but a quick note on the 1999 all star game. Weren't the reserves chosen by the manager of the WS teams from the previous year? Anyone remember who was NL champs in 1998? Maybe he had a little bias toward Gwynn. Just a thought

So he wasn't chosen because he was popular? 

Interesting...

2 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Fascinating debate but a quick note on the 1999 all star game. Weren't the reserves chosen by the manager of the WS teams from the previous year? Anyone remember who was NL champs in 1998? Maybe he had a little bias toward Gwynn. Just a thought

Gwynn was voted in by the fans. He didn't play because of an injury.