• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Phoenix Coyotes moving to Seattle? Roenick reportedly part of Plan B for NHL

gotbeer

Great. Seattle can't keep an NBA franchise and can't get one back (being out hustled by Mayor Johnson of Sacramento who got back on defense in politics a lot quicker than he did while playing in the NBA)........so let's give them an NHL franchise.

Is there anyone here from Phoenix or just knowledgeable about the situation there to explain why the Coyotes can't make it in Phoenix?   Yeah, it's a warm climate, southwest city and all and not a lot of amateur hockey being played  there -- but Phoenix is a great sports town -- the NHL should be able to make it there.

Not quite as bad as when Minnesota lost the North Stars -- I mean that's as bad as it gets -- a true hockey crazed area lost it's NHL franchise -- and not really tied to a major economic slump like the Winnipeg situation was --

I just don't see the Coyotes or whatever they'll be called (bring back the old baseball Pilots name? NO. Reminders of a one year disaster) doing any better in Seattle than Phoenix.  And a Seattle franchise might have some impact on Vancouver -- usually a strong hockey franchise but sort of reeling right now after being swept out in very ugly fashion by San Jose in the playoffs this year.

Great. Seattle can't keep an NBA franchise and can't get one back (being out hustled by Mayor Johnson of Sacramento who got back on defense in politics a lot quicker than he did while playing in the NBA)........so let's give them an NHL franchise.

Is there anyone here from Phoenix or just knowledgeable about the situation there to explain why the Coyotes can't make it in Phoenix?   Yeah, it's a warm climate, southwest city and all and not a lot of amateur hockey being played  there -- but Phoenix is a great sports town -- the NHL should be able to make it there.

Not quite as bad as when Minnesota lost the North Stars -- I mean that's as bad as it gets -- a true hockey crazed area lost it's NHL franchise -- and not really tied to a major economic slump like the Winnipeg situation was --

I just don't see the Coyotes or whatever they'll be called (bring back the old baseball Pilots name? NO. Reminders of a one year disaster) doing any better in Seattle than Phoenix.  And a Seattle franchise might have some impact on Vancouver -- usually a strong hockey franchise but sort of reeling right now after being swept out in very ugly fashion by San Jose in the playoffs this year.

Phoenix has been one of the hardest hit areas in the major recession we're in. Combine that with it being a new area for the sport and that, not that many there have ever played ice hockey and you have some fairly large reasons why they haven't drawn well.

Oh, there's also the problem that they've been a lame duck team for 4 years. People won't support a franchise they think is going to leave.

If I remember right, wasn't there a minor league team that did really well in Phoenix before the NHL team went there?  NHL saw they were doing well, so thought hockey would do well there.  But the fans loved their minor league team and were pretty pissed that the NHL was going to kill it.  Which it did.  

If I remember right, wasn't there a minor league team that did really well in Phoenix before the NHL team went there? NHL saw they were doing well, so thought hockey would do well there. But the fans loved their minor league team and were pretty pissed that the NHL was going to kill it. Which it did.

Phoenix Roadrunners?

The Roadrunners were a farm-team for the Kings for a long time.  I know some of my friends went out to some of their games, along with some Coyotes/Kings games, but the California fan-base just couldn't keep the Coyotes alive.  

I don't see much difference between Seattle and Phoenix as far as supporting an NHL team.  They should stay in Phoenix and right the ship.  I blame Bettman for all the NHL's problems.  The Weasel thinks like an almighty Napolionic dictator.

Thanks for all the responses......Phoenix Roadrunners -- yeah, they were a Kings affiliate and did relatively well attendance wise.  I think they played downtown Phoenix and probably at bargain rate ticket prices........the key to success.......the point about the arena being all the way out in Glendale is a good point -- they really need to be either downtown or more towards Scottsdale than West.

And, yes, Phoenix has been hit hard by the economic slump -- used to be that when you went to Phoenix there was non-stop construction everywhere you looked.......not so much lately.  The reference to Winnipeg losing the Jets (before getting them back) had to with the horrible currency exchange rate (for the Canadian dollar) when the Canadian economy was rocked during the time that Winnipeg lost its team........you may recall the CFL had to expand into US markets (which proved to be a failed experiment) to literally survive. It was that nationwide economic downturn up there that drove Winnipeg out of existence........would like to say the same about the MLB Montreal Expos but that was a combination of factors including poor management  .

Deep Drive makes an excellent point about being a 'lame duck' team -- take a look at the Sacramento Kings of the NBA -- until Mayor Johnson 'rescued' the team from departure again this off-season and the team was finally sold away from the Maloof buffoons, the Sacramento Kings were a 'lame duck' team for two years and it really does a number on the fan base and attendance.

Still, I think the greater Phoenix area (I go there every year for Spring Training) is just a fabulous sports town -- it's shame they can't support the NHL team there -- and I agree with the other posts here -- Seattle isn't going to be any better for the NHL than Phoenix so they might as well try to fix what's wrong in Phoenix......

smaller market but I think the NHL would do better to move to a place like Milwaukee than Seattle......although Chicago Blackhawks ownership would squawk -- perhaps Green Bay -- oh wait, there's only one sport in and one team in Green Bay for all seasons all year.  The Milwaukee/ Green Bay folks tend to be very loyal fans........smaller market. Great fans.

One thing that might make Seattle more successful than Phoenix though is it's proximity to Canada.  Chuck or someone up in that area can probably confirm or deny this more, but I would think that there are a few Canadian transplants there.  The million dollar question is will those transplants be enough to prop up the franchise.  

Well, it's a long way from Vancouver to Seattle and longer than the drive.......Canadian fans probably not going to head South to Seattle.

Well, one thing may help now -- Vancouver with their 'trade Schneider, keep Luongo' move today, probably won't be very good next few years and are likely in a multi-year 're-building/ transition' mode.

When if the NHL going to make a decision on this ? Is Bettman going to pull a Selig (as in the A's request to move to San Jose) and just take NO ACTION hoping the whole thing will go away.?

I hope Phoenix is able to keep the Coyotes.

The Roadrunners go back to the Madhouse on McDowell days.   I remember as early as 1972 seeing the roadrunner on the scoreboard at that arena. 

They have to offically decide on the move soon, as training camp is just a little over 2 months away;

unless they want to channel their inner Brewers (moving from Seattle just 2 weeks before the 1970 MLB season started).    And who purchased the Pilots/Brewers in 1970?   Yep, small market Bug Selig!

Well if the Coyotes didn't stay they would have to probably shut down the arena and likely the majority of the shopping around the arena so I guess it's a good thing for Glendale. They got 5 years to prove that they can at least reasonably support the team. They should be in the playoff hunt for those years.

Well if the Coyotes didn't stay they would have to probably shut down the arena and likely the majority of the shopping around the arena so I guess it's a good thing for Glendale. They got 5 years to prove that they can at least reasonably support the team. They should be in the playoff hunt for those years.

Yeah, there would only be 10 reasons to go to Glendale if the Coyotes left and that would be the 10 AZ Cards home games.  No way those shops and restaurants around the arena would have been able to stay afloat if the Yotes left.  Are they really gonna be called the Arizona Coyotes now?

Well, it's a long way from Vancouver to Seattle and longer than the drive.......Canadian fans probably not going to head South to Seattle.

I think tons of Vancouver peeps would make the drive. Ticket prices are nuts for Canucks games. Since it's offseason right now, I can't look them up on Ticketmaster, but I think I've read that even the worst upper decks seats are $100+ each. And many of their games are pay-per-view as well, not regular cable like Kings and Ducks. 

I think tons of Vancouver peeps would make the drive. Ticket prices are nuts for Canucks games. Since it's offseason right now, I can't look them up on Ticketmaster, but I think I've read that even the worst upper decks seats are $100+ each. And many of their games are pay-per-view as well, not regular cable like Kings and Ducks. 

Hell, Canucks fans fly to Phoenix to watch games there since it's cheaper and way easier than trying to get tickets at home. Seattle would be a Godsend for them.

Yeah, there would only be 10 reasons to go to Glendale if the Coyotes left and that would be the 10 AZ Cards home games.  No way those shops and restaurants around the arena would have been able to stay afloat if the Yotes left.  Are they really gonna be called the Arizona Coyotes now?

Yeah, but not next season apparently. 

http://www.fiveforhowling.com/2013/7/8/4491552/whats-in-a-name-the-switch-the-Arizona-coyotes-phoenix