• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kevin Gausman?

Mark68

Mariners, Angels, Giants, Jays Pursuing Kevin Gausman - MLB Trade Rumors

"The Mariners and Angels are both showing some degree of interest in free-agent righty Kevin Gausman, tweets Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Gausman has also been tied to the Blue Jays and the incumbent Giants, who have been active in the rotation market this week."

I'm increasingly thinking he's who they might be closest to signing. He or Scherzer. Not feeling like Ray is on the radar much, have a feeling he's more of a Midwest/East Coast/South guy. 

Gausman feels like he could be the 'safest' and most consistent of the group. I think the Giants' recent SP spree might be an indication that they know Gausman is deciding soon and they wanted to either 1) convince him to stay by setting the rotation around him and that cost and/or 2) check off the other needs as a contingency should he sign elsewhere. All of this could even relate to Alex Cobb and how he's deciding, to some degree.

If there's any truth at all (eh) to what Gubie or Lodge have been spouting about another move being imminent, Gausman seems like the closest of the #1s out there to signing.

Minasian was also with Atlanta when they grabbed Gausman from Baltimore and revived him. And no QO.

I personally think he's more of a 3.50 ERA, #2-type guy, but if they can keep him pay to around $20-$25m for 4-5 years, it's worth giving it a go. That's probably too low, but hoping Gausman is more about playing where he wants to play and less about money.

Edited by totdprods

12 minutes ago, halonatic13 said:

What's the lovefest with Gausman?  1 1/2 years of being ok?  Contract year and he becomes Cy Young?  I'd prefer Max for 3 and hope the young kids are ready.

I'd rather have Scherzer as well, but you should probably take a better look at Gausman's stats. 

He was good in 2018, 2016, and 2014. He's had some down years, but still has a career 105 ERA+ and a 3.88 FIP. He's perfectly fine for a #3 starter, and has the upside to be better. Not to mention he's going to cost $10-15 million less than Scherzer.

5 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

He's perfectly fine for a #3 starter

No argument but I personally want this organization to AIM HIGHER.

I don’t want to add to the back of the rotation.

I don’t want to add to the middle of the rotation.

I want to add to the front end of the rotation.

To me anyway, the difference is worth the incremental expense, especially if the team manages to make the playoffs.

11 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

He was also there in 2019 when Gausman was so bad during the first half that they waived him. 

Still there's a connection and familiarity there. It's also pretty obvious Atlanta unlocked an extra gear with Gausman. His 2019 first half had an ugly ERA, but the peripherals suggested bad luck. His K% went up, he just struggled a bit with command and too many hits dropped in. Still had a FIP of 4.20. 

Since his time in Atlanta he's gradually evolved into the pitcher he was with SF last year. I don't think he's 2.80 ERA dominant, but I do feel he's elevated to a nice spot where he'll be a strong #2-type for a few seasons, kinda like the role Dan Haren played while he was here. Big jump in Ks, maintained good HR and walk numbers, and became a little harder to hit, and that's been fairly consistent since he left BAL.

Edited by totdprods

11 minutes ago, wopphil said:

You guys have to remember that no free agents are perfect. If they were - and Gerrit Cole is about as close as it gets on the pitching side in recent years - they cost $300 million. Gausman has his question marks, but that is why he is a $120 million dollar player and not a $300 million dollar player. 

Very fair comments.  But I think it is OK to try to keep your eye on targets with the highest upsides.

I don’t think Gausman offers as much upside as others, and almost seems to be  predictably decent rather than excellent.

I get not being in love with Gausman, but why are people so convinced Stroman is the guy to get instead? Stroman is good, but unless we are going to get a top-tier defender at shortstop, I don't really get adding a groundballer whose whole career has been churning out 180-200 innings of 4.00 ERA ball. And while, yes, he added a splitter, he still had well-below average strikeout numbers. I get that tossing 190ish innings is extremely valuable (especially with Syndergaard/Ohtani leading the rotation) but I don't think its a slam dunk that Stroman is a clearly better option - especially if Stro comes at a higher price.

17 minutes ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

I get not being in love with Gausman, but why are people so convinced Stroman is the guy to get instead? Stroman is good, but unless we are going to get a top-tier defender at shortstop, I don't really get adding a groundballer whose whole career has been churning out 180-200 innings of 4.00 ERA ball. And while, yes, he added a splitter, he still had well-below average strikeout numbers. I get that tossing 190ish innings is extremely valuable (especially with Syndergaard/Ohtani leading the rotation) but I don't think its a slam dunk that Stroman is a clearly better option - especially if Stro comes at a higher price.

Gausman did pitch 192 innings last year. He's also had years of 179.2, 183.2 & 186.2 innings, so there is no guarantee that Stroman would be the better option (given that he'll probably command a lot more $$). Gausman hasn't even had a FIP above 4 for a full season since 2018.