• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels TV Contract- McCourt Screwed The Angels

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-0616-down-the-line-20130616,0,4333227.story

Frank talk

The Dodgers' new $8.5-billion contract with Time Warner Cable makes Angels owner Arte Moreno an unintended victim of Frank McCourt's stunningly successful sale of the Dodgers.

Moreno did not just slap a Los Angeles name on the Angels. He used the Dodgers' television contracts as models for his own, since the Angels played in the same L.A. television market.

In 2006, Moreno got a $500-million deal, based on the one Fox Sports had just given McCourt. In 2011, after Fox agreed to a new $3-billion deal with McCourt, Moreno got a similar deal.

But Commissioner Bud Selig rejected the McCourt deal, and the Dodgers' new owners got one for almost three times as much. No chance McCourt would have any sympathy for Moreno; McCourt bitterly resented the Angels' name change and mockingly produced gear with this tag: "Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles."

— Bill Shaikin

I don't get it.  If anyone thinks the Angels could get as much as the Doggies in TV contracts, I'd like to talk to you about trading for an outfielder in NY with the initials VW.  

No they couldn't, but Fox would have been in a tough spot. No way they can keep both channels without the Angels. They could have got more, how much, I don't know. I actually think it would  have helped Arte if he could have waited until after the Dodger deal. 

No they couldn't, but Fox would have been in a tough spot. No way they can keep both channels without the Angels. They could have got more, how much, I don't know. I actually think it would  have helped Arte if he could have waited until after the Dodger deal. 

But he didn't wait, and took the money.  So it's a moot point.  If anything, Moreno screwed himself more than the Doggies did.

Yup, would have avoided some of those big free agent signings too.

But he didn't wait, and took the money. So it's a moot point. If anything, Moreno screwed himself more than the Doggies did.

I agree agree about the Doyers not screwing him, like I said it might have helped if the timeing was better.

As for Arte, Bill Shaikin told me via tweeter, Arte had to invoke his out clause at that time so he didnt have a choice. Still a good deal for the Angels IMO.

We don't know the details of the contract. We don't know if Arte has an out clause like he had last time. Hell we didn't even know until way after he opted out that that was even an option last time. I'm guessing with Arte's business savy he planned for such things.