• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Projected 28-Man Roster (Updated 4/6)

Angelsjunky

As best I can tell, this is the current 28-Man Roster situation for Opening Day.

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 2.00.34 AM.png

I'll explain the chart a bit. The dark red are those players who, unless involved in a trade or something unexpected occurs, are virtual locks for the 2022 major league roster. The light red are those players who, if the Angels make no moves, are likely to default into roster positions - but they are far from locks, and could either be replaced with a new acquisition via free agency or trade, or swapped with one of the depth players in group A.

The darker blue (depth - group A) are minor league players who are candidates for either a roster spot on Opening Day, or the depth players who are nearest to being called up (the "first line of defense"). The lighter blue (depth - group B) players are those we might see in 2022, but almost certainly not on Opening Day.

Anyhow, you can quibble with my choices for placement - and if you make a convincing argument, I'll change the chart. But I'm going on what makes sense to me. For instance, I can see the Angels choosing Wallach over Thaiss as the Opening Day back-up, but I'd rather see the give Thaiss a shot.

I'll try to update this as the Angels make moves.

Edited by Angelsjunky

• Angelsjunky changed the title to Projected 25-Man Roster (As of 11/16 - Will Be Updated)
51 minutes ago, Jason said:

I’m not a huge Barria fan but I guess he’ll be fine for long relief 

To me, Barria is a prime candidate to deal over to a payroll-conscious team for a vet RP a couple years into arb.

See if Oakland will give up Lou Trivino for him, or Amir Garrett from Cincy. 

Edited by totdprods

17 minutes ago, totdprods said:

To me, Barria is a prime candidate to deal over to a payroll-conscious team for a vet RP a couple years into arb.

See if Oakland will give up Lou Trivino for him, or Amir Garrett from Cincy. 

Yes, agreed. I only put him where I did because, well, there's nowhere else to put him. He's behind Canning and Detmers, and is probably closer to the Naughton-Junk-Diaz-Criswell group, but is out of options.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Some quibbles:

1) The active roster limit is now 26 players, not 25 players.

2) Guerra isn't listed on there, and he's both on the 40-man roster and out of options.

3) Gosselin is out of options, so he probably should be on the projected locks (perhaps over Mayfield).

4) You're missing Oliver Ortega.

30 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

No way Thaiss will be backup catcher. He has not caught in majors before. 

Not that I think Thaiss will be the backup catcher but I am puzzled by your statement:

"He has never caught in the majors before"

Doesn't that apply to every catcher before they catcher the first time in the majors.

41 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

No way Thaiss will be backup catcher. He has not caught in majors before. 

I wouldn't expect him to break camp as the primary backup, but given he has one option left, I'm guessing he'll catch some games at the big league level next year to see how he fares.  Only way to find out whether he's capable or not.  For now, I'd probably rank Wallach ahead of him, although I expect a backup catcher to be obtained this offseason.

26 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I wouldn't expect him to break camp as the primary backup, but given he has one option left, I'm guessing he'll catch some games at the big league level next year to see how he fares.  Only way to find out whether he's capable or not.  For now, I'd probably rank Wallach ahead of him, although I expect a backup catcher to be obtained this offseason.

I'd agree that Wallach should probably be ahead of Thaiss on the catching depth chart as of now.

I wanted them to sign Manny Piña, but now I'd like them to look toward Yan Gomes at backup C.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

Some quibbles:

1) The active roster limit is now 26 players, not 25 players.

2) Guerra isn't listed on there, and he's both on the 40-man roster and out of options.

3) Gosselin is out of options, so he probably should be on the projected locks (perhaps over Mayfield).

4) You're missing Oliver Ortega.

1. I thought it reverted back to 25?

2. He just got DFAed.

3. Yeah, but is he worth keeping to put a better player in the minors?

4. I had him, but he must have gotten pasted over by the Higgins 2.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

2. He just got DFAed.

1. No it’s 26. That wasn’t just a Covid season rule.

2. Yep.

3. just have him take that 26th spot for now until He’s non-tendered

4. why not Thaiss? I don’t consider him a premium defender but neither was Suzuki. He’s passable behind the plate, left handed, and has a good arm. It’s notable that he didn’t get the playing time at 3rd last season after Rendon went down. He did catch 54 games at AAA. And offers a positional versatility.. he’s able to backup third and presumably first though he won’t be the primary backup there, that would be Ward likely. He can also probably play some OF and second if needed. 

and there’s this article from MLBTR https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/09/angels-rumors-matt-thaiss-catcher-max-stassi.html

3 minutes ago, Hubs said:

1. No it’s 26. That wasn’t just a Covid season rule.

2. Yep.

3. just have him take that 26th spot for now until He’s non-tendered

4. why not Thaiss? I don’t consider him a premium defender but neither was Suzuki. He’s passable behind the plate, left handed, and has a good arm. It’s notable that he didn’t get the playing time at 3rd last season after Rendon went down. He did catch 54 games at AAA. And offers a positional versatility.. he’s able to backup third and presumably first though he won’t be the primary backup there, that would be Ward likely. He can also probably play some OF and second if needed. 

and there’s this article from MLBTR https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/09/angels-rumors-matt-thaiss-catcher-max-stassi.html

Alright, I'll add someone, maybe Goose but it seems excessive having him and Mayfield.

I hope Thiass gets a chance, as I said (not sure what he has to do with Ortega).

15 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

2. He just got DFAed.

1. No, they changed it to 26 beginning in 2020 (but COVID resulted in expanded rosters for '21)

2. Yeah. That hadn't happened when I made that post, but am glad it since has.

3. He isn't in the grand scheme of things, but he's still on the roster and out of options (which means that he'd be on the projected active roster)

• Angelsjunky changed the title to Projected 26-Man Roster (As of 11/16 - Will Be Updated)
53 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Alright, I'll add someone, maybe Goose but it seems excessive having him and Mayfield.

I hope Thiass gets a chance, as I said (not sure what he has to do with Ortega).

Haha I misread #4. Earlier in the thread people were talking about him vs. Wallach . So call It #5.

As for Ortega, I was at the final game of the season and saw him pitch and am fairly confident he’ll win a role in ST. Dude is gonna be a good reliever… he’s just got to work out kinks. Throws hard and goes after guys. 

29 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Haha I misread #4. Earlier in the thread people were talking about him vs. Wallach . So call It #5.

As for Ortega, I was at the final game of the season and saw him pitch and am fairly confident he’ll win a role in ST. Dude is gonna be a good reliever… he’s just got to work out kinks. Throws hard and goes after guys. 

I like Ortega, too, and he'd be on my OD roster. But I think it is too soon to say on the BP, behind Mayer and probably Warren.