• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

YOU Build the 2022 Angels // YOUR Offseason Plan

totdprods

ylezzstkmkfohmt4eb4o.jpeg

We've had prediction threads, we've had offseason wishlist threads, we've had what you want to see happen, what you think we'll see. Almost every thread recently has devolved into an 'offseason plan' thread at some point.

But what I'm hoping for this thread though is (for the time being) no discussion, no debate, no arguments for or against, just a very simple list what you would do this offseason if you were GM in a quick, easy format.

The idea being we can revisit this later and discuss midseason/next offseason and see how things are going for everyone’s respective plans.

You can edit/revise your plans at a couple different times:

1. Nov. 17th: Deadline to accept/reject Qualifying Offers, since a lot of these players will be mentioned in plans.
  2. Dec. 1st: Around Dec. 2nd, 8pm ET, at the non-tender deadline. A significant number of free agents will be added, some of which could alter plans significantly. 
  3. Should any breaking CBA news dramatically change the scope of this offseason.

In addition, I will potentially bump the thread once or twice this winter with an option to edit. The first will be if we learn of a specific amount from Arte/the FO is intending to spend this offseason, and the second will be late into the offseason, perhaps even right before Spring Training, in order to allow any last minute bargains. 

When this happens, please edit your post but keep original plan detailed still. Strikethrough the text or write out your edited plan. 

As of now, we’ll assume the Angels can add up to $50m in salary to the 2022 payroll. It could be less, could be more. 

Overall, try to be as specific as possible when it comes to your money offered or players involved in trade. There are links below to help us work within a standardized set of trade and contract values. 

Feel free to offer contingencies, i.e, pivoting to Stroman if Ray doesn’t sign, but try to limit yourself to a couple options, maybe a Plan B or C, for the sake of the exercise. 

And think outside the box - sometimes it's the little moves that makes the biggest impact. 

A few handy links to reference in forming your plans:

OK, using Ben Clemens' values.

Free Agents:

Kevin Gausman 3/$54M +18M

Chris Taylor 4/$60M +15M

Raisel Iglesias 3/$45M +15M

Pedro Severino 1/$2M +2M

= +50M

Trades:

- Jeremiah Jackson (5.4), Jaime Barria (2.7), and Orlando Martinez (2.4) to the Marlins for Jesus Luzardo (10.0). Adds negligible salary (I think Luzardo will make just a fraction more, if any, over Barria).

- Someone for a reliever or two (see below)

2022 TEAM

Stassi

IF Rendon, Walsh, Taylor, Fletcher

OF Trout, Marsh, Adell

Bench Severino, Upton, Rengifo, Thaiss

Rotation Gausman, Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez, Luzardo, Detmers

Bullpen Iglesias, Mayers, Warren, Wantz, Quijada, Herget, Ortega

AAA Rotation Depth Canning, Naughton, Daniel, Tyler, Diaz, Criswell, Bachman

I'm not in love with that bullpen, so I might try to make a couple more trades, but have no idea whom. I like the lineup and rotation, though. Bench is solid.

27 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Maybe clarify which contract predictions are applicable: Ben Clemens' or the crowdsource median or average? 

Also, are any trades ok? I mean, we add up a dozen lower level prospects and get Sixto Sanchez, but that sort of trade would never happen.

The contracts ultimately are entirely up to you - the links are just to help serve as references or guidepoints as to what most expect is reasonable. 

If your plan is offering Stroman 5/$85m, and he signs for 5/$110m, it's not going to be seen as realistic at the end of the year when I go through and see whose plan worked out the best.

Ok, here we go.

I tend to think the Angels will spend more than $50 M in free agency, however I also think they have more holes than just pitching. I'm going to use the both MLBTR and FanGraphs projections. And I use BTV for trade scenarios.

Sign Raisel Iglesias to an extension. Fangraphs has him at 3/45 and MLBTR at 4/56. I'd tend to think the Angels would be willing to give him 4 years, and that will come with a slightly lower AAV. So I'm going with the MLBTR projection here. 10/12/14/16 with a $2M signing bonus and 5th year club option for $16 with a $2M buyout. $12M Spent

Sign Marcus Stroman to a 5 year deal at 110 M value. Again, MLBTR has the more sensible projection. Fangraphs has him at 4/100. I'd say again, it will be backloaded. Say 13/20/22/24/26 with a $5M signing bonus. $30M spent.

Trade for Sean Manaea. He's under arbitration control for only one more season at around $10M. They do a rare intradivsion trade here, instead of pursuing a flashier name like Castillo or Marquez. It costs them Griffin Canning, Arol Vera, and Jordyn Adams. $40M spent.

Sign Trevor Story to a 5 year deal. MLBTR has 6 @ 21 and FG 5 at 23. Let's say 5 at 23. 18/21/23/24/26. He gets you the biggest bang for your buck, as he will wind up with the lowest overall deal of the 5 big SS. I'm not concerned about his defense or the Coors field effect. $58M spent.

Resign Steve Cishek to a 2 year 4 M deal. $60M spent.

Sign 

Promote Matt Thaiss for Backup C/CI role. 

Starters:

1B Walsh, 2B Fletcher, 3B Rendon, SS Story, C Stassi, OF Trout/Marsh/Upton/Adell, DH Ohtani.

Bench

SS Rengifo, CI/C Thaiss, OF/INF/C Ward and the extra OF from above.

Starting Pitching

Ohtani, Stroman, Manaea, Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers.

Relief Pitching

Iglesias, Mayers, Warren, Cishek, Quijada, Ortega, Herget, Barria

Using FanGraphs' crowdsource contract projections and the Baseball Trade Values website:

Sign: Anthony DeSclafani (2/$20M), Kevin Gausman (4/$76M), Kendal Graveman (2/$13M), Aaron Loup (1/$5M), Colin McHugh (1/$5M), and Roberto Pérez (1/$2.3M)

Acquire: Tony Kemp ($2.2M) for David Calabrese, Sadrac Franco, and Livan Soto.

Lineup: Marsh (CF), Trout (LF), Ohtani (DH), Rendon (3B), Walsh (1B), Stassi (C), Adell (RF), Kemp (2B), Fletcher (SS)

Bench: Pérez, Velazquez, Upton, Ward.

Rotation: Ohtani, Gausman, DeSclafani, Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers.

Bullpen: Graveman, McHugh, Loup, Mayers, Warren, Quijada, Wantz, and Barría.

Edit: with Syndergaard signed, I'd make the following changes:

Remove: Kevin Gausman (4/$76) and Colin McHugh (1/$5M)

Add: Noah Syndergaard (1/$21M) and David Robertson (1/$3M)

Lineup: Marsh (CF), Trout (LF), Ohtani (DH), Rendon (3B), Walsh (1B), Stassi (C), Adell (RF), Kemp (2B), Fletcher (SS)

Bench: Pérez, Velazquez, Upton, Ward.

Rotation: Ohtani, Syndergaard, DeSclafani, Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers.

Bullpen: Graveman, Loup, Mayers, Warren, Robertson, Quijada, Wantz, and Barría.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

OK, using Ben Clemens' values.

Free Agents:

Kevin Gausman 3/$54M +18M

Chris Taylor 4/$60M +15M

Raisel Iglesias 3/$45M +15M

Pedro Severino 1/$2M +2M

= +50M

Trades:

- Jeremiah Jackson (5.4), Jaime Barria (2.7), and Orlando Martinez (2.4) to the Marlins for Jesus Luzardo (10.0). Adds negligible salary (I think Luzardo will make just a fraction more, if any, over Barria).

- Someone for a reliever or two (see below)

2022 TEAM

Stassi

IF Rendon, Walsh, Taylor, Fletcher

OF Trout, Marsh, Adell

Bench Severino, Upton, Rengifo, Thaiss

Rotation Gausman, Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez, Luzardo, Detmers

Bullpen Iglesias, Mayers, Warren, Wantz, Quijada, Herget, Ortega

AAA Rotation Depth Canning, Naughton, Daniel, Tyler, Diaz, Criswell, Bachman

I'm not in love with that bullpen, so I might try to make a couple more trades, but have no idea whom. I like the lineup and rotation, though. Bench is solid.

Jesus Lazardo is a worse version of Jose Quintana minus the extra k's.

First off, I would headhunt a pitching coach and if successful, ask Matt Wise to accept the assistant job until he finds a new home. 

Free Agents (contract estimates using AAV)

Kendall Graveman  2/16 (+8) as the GM I see the writing on the wall regarding Iglesias signing here and go for the second tier closer, save a few bucks  and take the draft pick

John Gray - 3/45 (+15) 

Joe Kelly - just spitballin on salary since I cant find any projections so lets say 2/12 (+6).  (There are likely better choices but had to throw in a setup candidate)

Yan Gomes C - 2/14 (+7)   

Random Backup C - (+2)

Random 4OF (+1.5) Adell in minors unless Marsh struggles.

Still working on an additional starter but let's plug in (+7m). That makes Ohtani, Gray, Sandoval, mystery starter, Suarez, Detmers.

That's +46.5m,  Stassi, Guerra, and/or others traded for a SS.  Trade scenarios aren't my forte so I'll expound and edit later.  Anticipating including Marsh or Adell (more likely Adell) in a trade deadline deal for pitching.  Was considering an Adell trade scenario for Marlins' Lopez, but BBTV values for Adell is ridiculously low right now (12.9).  Hopefully that changes by the deadline.

Re-Sign:

Iglesias: 52 Mil over 3 years

Cobb: 14 Mil over 2 years

Sign: Ray: 122 mil over 5 years 

Sign: Mcugh: 18 mil over 3 years

Richards: 4 Mil over 1 year as a Bp arm 

Robertson to a MInor league Deal

Sign Simba to a Minor league deal or 2 mil over 1 year 

Bring back Cishek on a Minor league deal 

Sign a Defensive minded Catcher 

Starting Rotation: Othani, Ray, Sandy,Cobb,Suarez

Bullpen: Richards,Mchugh, Cishek, Warren, Wantz, Iglesais (No specific order) 

On 11/9/2021 at 1:48 PM, Hubs said:

Ok, here we go.

I tend to think the Angels will spend more than $50 M in free agency, however I also think they have more holes than just pitching. I'm going to use the both MLBTR and FanGraphs projections. And I use BTV for trade scenarios.

Sign Raisel Iglesias to an extension. Fangraphs has him at 3/45 and MLBTR at 4/56. I'd tend to think the Angels would be willing to give him 4 years, and that will come with a slightly lower AAV. So I'm going with the MLBTR projection here. 10/12/14/16 with a $2M signing bonus and 5th year club option for $16 with a $2M buyout. $12M Spent

Sign Noah Syndergaard to a 1 year deal at 21 M value.  $33M spent

Trade for Sean Manaea. He's under arbitration control for only one more season at around $10M. They do a rare intradivsion trade here, instead of pursuing a flashier name like Castillo or Marquez. It costs them Griffin Canning, Arol Vera, and Jordyn Adams. $43M spent.

Sign Trevor Story to a 5 year deal. MLBTR has 6 @ 21 and FG 5 at 23. Let's say 5 at 23. 18/21/23/24/26. He gets you the biggest bang for your buck, as he will wind up with the lowest overall deal of the 5 big SS. I'm not concerned about his defense or the Coors field effect. $61M spent.

Resign Steve Cishek to a 2 year 4 M deal. $63M spent.

Sign 

Starters:

1B Walsh, 2B Fletcher, 3B Rendon, SS Story, C Stassi, OF Trout/Marsh/Upton/Adell, DH Ohtani.

Bench

Starting Pitching

Relief Pitching

Fixed.

On 11/9/2021 at 8:21 PM, Junkballer said:

First off, I would headhunt a pitching coach and if successful, ask Matt Wise to accept the assistant job until he finds a new home. 

Free Agents (contract estimates using AAV)

Kendall Graveman  2/16 (+8) as the GM I see the writing on the wall regarding Iglesias signing here and go for the second tier closer, save a few bucks  and take the draft pick

John Gray - 3/45 (+15) 

Joe Kelly - just spitballin on salary since I cant find any projections so lets say 2/12 (+6).  (There are likely better choices but had to throw in a setup candidate)

Yan Gomes C - 2/14 (+7)   

Random Backup C - (+2)

Random 4OF (+1.5) Adell in minors unless Marsh struggles.

Still working on an additional starter but let's plug in (+7m). That makes Ohtani, Gray, Sandoval, mystery starter, Suarez, Detmers.

That's +46.5m,  Stassi, Guerra, and/or others traded for a SS.  Trade scenarios aren't my forte so I'll expound and edit later.  Anticipating including Marsh or Adell (more likely Adell) in a trade deadline deal for pitching.  Was considering an Adell trade scenario for Marlins' Lopez, but BBTV values for Adell is ridiculously low right now (12.9).  Hopefully that changes by the deadline.

Matt Wise is the permanent Pitching coach. They removed the interim tag in May. Not saying that they can't replace him, but he's already the pitching coach.

Free Agency: I go after the following. 

1. Stroman 4/90M 15M 1st year

2. Gray - 2/28 + 1 year option. 12M 1st year

3. Wood - 2/18M + 1 year option. 8M 1st year

Then I trade from an area of strength in young Rotation arms. Canning, Sandoval, Suarez, Barria etc for SS (Nick Ahmed Diamond Backs) and Catcher (William Contreras Braves).

Graveman 2/10M + 1 option as the closer

McHugh 2/6M

Robertson 1/2M

One of Loup 1/4M, Chafin 2/8M, Watson 1/1.75M.

Rotation: Stroman, Thor, Wood, Gray, Ohtani, whoever is not traded Sandavol/Suarez/Barria/Canning with (Detmers, Naughton, Junk in AAA).

Bullpen: Graveman-Closer 

Right Setup: McHugh, Robertson, Mayers

Lefty Setup: 1 of Loup/Chafin/Watson

Fill it out 2 of these guys: Herget, Warren, Wantz, Quijada, Yan

Lineup:

1. Marsh - LF

2. Fletcher - 2B

3. Trout - CF

4. Ohtani - DH

5. Rendon - 3B

6. Walsh - 1B

7. Adell - RF

8. Contreras - C - 37% thrown out rate .996 fielding %

9. Ahmed - SS +19 OAA

Bench

Stassi, Upton, Gosselin, 1 of (Rengifo, Mayfield).

With Thor $21m approx. 150M *not including Arbitration 5M approx

TOTAL ADDED SALARY: $43.75M to 46M vs Arte's self imposed Salary Cap (2021- 180,350,000) compared to this example of ($198.75M to 201M)

Competitive Balance Threshold for 2022 - $210M * per spotrac.com

8 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

Why Manaea? His stat-cast profile for hard hit balls looks pretty poor. Nice control but when he gets hit it flies. https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/sean-manaea-640455?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb 

What do you like about him?

I think the intent of this thread based on the rules provided by the OP is to just post your plan without discussion where the discussion should be left for the many other threads we have.  

I would do the following:

1. Sign Iglesias to 3 years for 51 million ($17 mil per). 
2. Sign Cobb for 2 years for 22 million. 
3 Sign 2 good setup men for the bullpen. There are a lot to choose from.  The 2 A’s relievers for example.  Sign them to 2 year deals for 14 million. 
4. Resign Cischek for 1 year for 2 million to use in the 6th inning and low leverage situations. 
5.  Stay in house at SS.  
total salaries-about $194 million.  Arte can go up a bit this year.  
-stop being cheap with the bullpen.  Prioritize.  The Angels lost so many games in the 7th and 8th due to not having setup guys.  Mayers didn’t cut it late innings.  Nor did waiver wire pickups they got at the end of spring training. With Cobb they have 5 decent starters and can choose from Canning, Detmers, Barria, ir even Junk as a sixth.  With a better offense, they will win 93 games.  

Ok - I woke up optimistic this morning and I'm going with the plan where Lucy pulls the football.  Again.  

Gray  - I think you're right in that 4/70 was probably a bit aggressive @tdawg87 so I'm going with 3/40.  
Taylor - 4/60
Iglesias - 3/50 
Sign a reliever for about 2-3 mil on a 1yr deal.
Add a legit util IFer to the bench for about 5-6 mil.  

That would be adding about 60m in payroll total including Syndergaard.  

51 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Ok - I woke up optimistic this morning and I'm going with the plan where Lucy pulls the football.  Again.  

Gray  - I think you're right in that 4/70 was probably a bit aggressive @tdawg87 so I'm going with 3/40.  
Taylor - 4/60
Iglesias - 3/50 
Sign a reliever for about 2-3 mil on a 1yr deal.
Add a legit util IFer to the bench for about 5-6 mil.  

That would be adding about 60m in payroll total including Syndergaard.  

So you would’ve definitely done the Syndergaard deal too as is?

Remember this thread is mostly independent from real life - all that matters is we’re close to what is realistic in terms of dollars, length, trade packages. 

On 11/9/2021 at 1:48 PM, Hubs said:

Ok, here we go.

Sign Marcus Stroman to a 5 year deal at 110 M value. Again, MLBTR has the more sensible projection. Fangraphs has him at 4/100. I'd say again, it will be backloaded. Say 13/20/22/24/26 with a $5M signing bonus. $30M spent.

Trade for Sean Manaea. He's under arbitration control for only one more season at around $10M. They do a rare intradivsion trade here, instead of pursuing a flashier name like Castillo or Marquez. It costs them Griffin Canning, Arol Vera, and Jordyn Adams. $40M spent.

Sign Trevor Story to a 5 year deal. MLBTR has 6 @ 21 and FG 5 at 23. Let's say 5 at 23. 18/21/23/24/26. He gets you the biggest bang for your buck, as he will wind up with the lowest overall deal of the 5 big SS. I'm not concerned about his defense or the Coors field effect. $58M spent.

Resign Steve Cishek to a 2 year 4 M deal. $60M spent.

Sign 

Starters:

Bench

Starting Pitching

Relief Pitching

I still like my plan with Syndergaard instead Manaea. They will have to cut some cash from other moves as Manea only makes 10 and they gave Syndergaard 21. But they can try to pay Stroman less in year one or replace Story with a guy like Taylor as @Dochalosuggested in his plan.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

So you would’ve definitely done the Syndergaard deal too as is?

Remember this thread is mostly independent from real life - all that matters is we’re close to what is realistic in terms of dollars, length, trade packages. 

absolutely.  It's the exact type of deal that I wanted for the halos.  That if they're going to pay larger dollar amount for any given player it's for a short term.  

I'd have been ok with Verlander at 1/25 (not the 2/50 he got).  I'd still be ok with Scherzer at 2/65-70.  

I mentioned in another thread that I felt like we made our last move first with the Syndergaard deal and I'm really glad they didn't pass up on the opportunity.  What I'm hoping is that he's the guy the Angels go over budget for.  because an extra 10-15mil of spending this off season could make a huge different not only for the next year or maybe two, but in preserving what this team could look like in 3 or 4 years.  

A bit late to this, but this is what I would do.  Taking into consideration that we have already signed Syndergaard and Loup, I'd do the following:

1.  Convince Arte to up the payroll to roughly 185-190 million entering the season

2.  Sign Cobb to a 2/20 deal (9, 11mil)

3.  Sign Corey Knebel to a 1/7 deal with a 2nd year option for 9mil that vests if he makes 40 appearances (a reasonable amount that shouldn't be hard to achieve if healthy).  He will be our closer

4.  Trade OF Adell, 3B/SS Jackson, and lower level minor leaguers to CLE for RHP McKenzie

5.  Sign Joc Pederson to play LF (2/20, staggered at 9/11)

6.  Trade Barria and a lower level minor leaguer to the Reds for SS/UTIL Farmer (adds 2.2mil)

7.  Sign Tony Watson to a modest deal (1/2)

8.  Sign whatever backup C to a modest deal (1/2)

The above adds ~31mil, which brings us to around 188mil.

Lineup:  vs RHP - LF Pederson, RF Trout, DH Ohtani, 3B Rendon, 1B Walsh, CF Marsh, C Stassi, SS Farmer, 2B Fletcher

vs LHP:  2B Fletcher, RF Trout, DH Ohtani, 3B Rendon, 1B Walsh, LF Upton, CF Marsh, C Stassi, SS Farmer

Bench:  C ??, IF Wade, SS/3B Mayfield, OF Upton

Rotation:  Ohtani, Syndergaard, McKenzie, Cobb, Sandoval, Suarez.  Depth beyond them:  Canning, Detmers, Junk, etc.  

Bullpen:  Knebel, Loup, Mayers, Warren, Watson, Quijada, Wantz, Herget

I trade Adell not because I want to, but because OF are a lot easier to find than good SP, and he becomes a necessary trade chip to acquire a young, good SP.  We'd have a great young pitching core for years to come.  Bullpen isn't as strong as I'd like, nor is our starting SS, but I think we'd get by fine given the overall strength of our offense as well as SP.  

Morever, this largely avoids long-term payroll additions too, so we can always re-sign Syndergaard next offseason, and it keeps the long-term payroll clear (i.e. no 3 year+ deals) so that we can give Ohtani a mega contract without any issues.  The long-term pitching core will be totally set (Ohtani, McKenzie, Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers, Canning, and maybe Syndergaard if we re-sign him).  The key long-term needs will still remain SS, C, and the bullpen.  We have some promising young options for SS in the minors.  C we will have to address (although Stassi can be re-signed to a several year deal), and the bullpen is just a spot on most clubs that needs to be perpetually built and re-built.