• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels won't bring back Brian Butterfield (3rd base coach)

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/10/angels-part-ways-with-third-base-coach-brian-butterfield.html

"The Angels have “let go” Brian Butterfield, according to MLB Network’s Jon Heyman.

Butterfield came over to the Angels from the Cubs prior to the 2020 season, which coincided with Joe Maddon’s move from being the Cubs’ manager to being the Angels’ manager. Butterfield was a part of Maddon’s staff in Chicago for the 2018 and 2019 seasons, meaning this will conclude a four-year run as squad mates for the two. Maddon still has one year remaining on the three-year deal he signed with the Angels prior to the 2020 season.

The 63-year-old Butterfield has a coaching career that goes all the way back to 1994. Over the span, he has spent time with the Yankees, Diamondbacks, Blue Jays and Red Sox, before his most recent jobs with the Cubs and Angels."

16 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

So, the elite catching coach and the elite IF coach got axed -- clearly it was THEIR fault the defense was bad.  They should have coached guys so they could overcome the horseshit defensive alignments

Two highly respected coaches that belong in the organization, and just like that.  The replacements have a very high bar to me at least.

26 minutes ago, Revad said:

Two highly respected coaches that belong in the organization, and just like that.  The replacements have a very high bar to me at least.

Minasian probably doesn't like Maddon's coaching, but Arte told Minasian that he can't fire him. He's probably only allowed to move others and that's what he's doing. 

Even though the others (except the pitching coach) are good coaches.....

I'd expect us to find a new pitching coach too.

Edited by angelsnationtalk

Just curious.  How do we really know that Butterfield was a great coach?  John Heyman says so, but based on what?  

Oh, wait, he helped Derek Jeter learn to play shortstop and he was a Yankee 20 years ago.  Obviously, that makes him elite, not the work that Jeter put into it.  

Same with Jose Molina.  The only comment I saw from a player was Taylor Ward.  Of course, Taylor is not playing catcher.  Matt Thaiss has yet to be heard from.   

We don’t know if commentators like Heyman or Timms really have a ranking list of all coaches or if their take is based on personal interactions (which is often is for reporters). 

1 hour ago, bruin5 said:

Just curious.  How do we really know that Butterfield was a great coach?  John Heyman says so, but based on what?  

Oh, wait, he helped Derek Jeter learn to play shortstop and he was a Yankee 20 years ago.  Obviously, that makes him elite, not the work that Jeter put into it.  

Same with Jose Molina.  The only comment I saw from a player was Taylor Ward.  Of course, Taylor is not playing catcher.  Matt Thaiss has yet to be heard from.   

We don’t know if commentators like Heyman or Timms really have a ranking list of all coaches or if their take is based on personal interactions (which is often is for reporters). 

I don't think anyone is arguing that Butterfield is great. 

3 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

The hell is Heyman doing breaking west coat news at 5:30am? 

Angels FO have an early tee time or something?

Heyman probably got that information from Butterfield or industry sources, not from Angels sources.

He also probably broke the news early because he probably woke up and started asking his sources about any news from over the weekend.