• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Maddon or Scioscia

Stradling

Maddon or Scioscia  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have managing the Angels

• Maddon
    • Scioscia

Grant Belfour was on MLB network radio this morning and was asked what it was like to play for Joe Maddon and then Kevin Cash... he said something along the lines of - Tampa Bay was more about an organizational philosophy....  it sounded like it didn't matter who the manager was...

While Scioscia may not be a fresh topic, I am sure there were a large majority of people really looking forward to Maddon coming to the Angels.  There were quite a few people who believed Maddon was the brains behind us winning in 2002.  There was a vocal group here who truly believed Scioscia sucked and that Maddon would be a breathe of fresh air.  We now have 220 games of Maddon at the helm.  It is a sample size worthy of a comparison.  It is a topic that certainly deserves more than, “I don’t care”.  Hell if you don’t care, then simply skip the thread, seems pretty easy.  I mean the title kind of gave it away.  It’s cool though, because the results tell me what I kinda figured would be the sentiment.  

14 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

The way Maddon uses the bullpen really annoys me.

The way Scioscia used to constantly tinker with the line-up used to really annoy me.

So could I have Sosh as head of pitching and Maddon head of Hitting, and then a new guy in above them both to sort the defence and bring at all together? That'd be great.

How about…
Jared Kushner Applause GIF by MOODMAN

7 minutes ago, True Grich said:

One of the things I don't like about Maddon is that he seems to love the spotlight.  Mike Scioscia never did. Whenever the networks did interviews in the dugout - Scioscia always had one of his coaches do it instead of him. 

I know that has nothing to do with managing, but it says something about the difference between the two.  Maddon is the better interview and some fans love that stuff.  It's one of the reasons I never liked Tommy Lasorda... because he's another guy who loved to make it about him.

I could go on and on about why I like Mike Scioscia... from the way he handled the Nick Adenhart tragedy to way he dealt with problem players like Jose Guillen.  And when he had his kind of players - he won.  When he lost his autonomy, the Angels started to lose.

It's funny because Maddon talked about playing 1985 style baseball... well, that was Mike Scioscia style baseball.  Put the ball in play, force the issue on the bases, etc.

Two people with opposite personalities definitely.

1 hour ago, WicketMaiden said:

The way Maddon uses the bullpen really annoys me.

The way Scioscia used to constantly tinker with the line-up used to really annoy me.

So could I have Sosh as head of pitching and Maddon head of Hitting, and then a new guy in above them both to sort the defence and bring at all together? That'd be great.

Maddon doesn't tinker with the offensive lineup?

In Maddons defense, he has been handed sort of a shit roster. 

But it was the same thing with Sosh. Give either an actual bullpen and more than one dependable starter, and they look a lot smarter.

I think the dodgers are about to knock out the giants. And they have a pretty good shot at repeating. But i wont give roberts any more credit for that than when he got blamed for their chokes a few years back.

If I had to pick one, it would be Sosh. But thats just because I saw him lead a bunch of great angel teams. Maddon ive seen lead shohei. And dylan bundy.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Nothing fresher than old dudes who haven't had a hard boner since Clinton was in office, critiquing the attractiveness of women whom they never had a chance with.

Said the "stud" who dates super models.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

In Maddons defense, he has been handed sort of a shit roster. 

But it was the same thing with Sosh. Give either an actual bullpen and more than one dependable starter, and they look a lot smarter.

I think the dodgers are about to knock out the giants. And they have a pretty good shot at repeating. But i wont give roberts any more credit for that than when he got blamed for their chokes a few years back.

If I had to pick one, it would be Sosh. But thats just because I saw him lead a bunch of great angel teams. Maddon ive seen lead shohei. And dylan bundy.

Webb shut out the Dogs in game 1.

Should be a great pitching duel with Urias.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Maybe Mike should not have been forced to leave by the guy who inflicted Brad on us. But Joe has so far been Mike's star student in the art of baseball management. He has two league pennants and one WS flag hanging inside his trailer. Mike is 19th on the wins list and Joe, with fewer games, is 33rd.

Mike is having fun kicking back, apparently. Joe is working miracles with a team so short of competent pitchers.

7 hours ago, Stradling said:

While Scioscia may not be a fresh topic, I am sure there were a large majority of people really looking forward to Maddon coming to the Angels.  There were quite a few people who believed Maddon was the brains behind us winning in 2002.  There was a vocal group here who truly believed Scioscia sucked and that Maddon would be a breathe of fresh air.  We now have 220 games of Maddon at the helm.  It is a sample size worthy of a comparison.  It is a topic that certainly deserves more than, “I don’t care”.  Hell if you don’t care, then simply skip the thread, seems pretty easy.  I mean the title kind of gave it away.  It’s cool though, because the results tell me what I kinda figured would be the sentiment.  

image.gif

My first comment in this thread was “I don’t care.”  That was not to be rude.

The reason this is a perfectly appropriate comment in this thread is “I don’t care” should have been an option in the poll.

People don’t care because the conversation has been exhausted.

People don’t care because the team not winning is not caused by having the wrong manager.  It’s the roster.

People don’t care because the fact that it was time to move in from Scioscia really doesn’t have much to do with having Madden now.

People don’t care because the comparison is, at best, premature since Joe has never had a roster he could possible win with.  We have no idea what he could do with a winning roster.

I guess if we felt it was possible that the Angels would fire Joe and re-hire Mike, maybe I would be interested in it.

But if that isn’t the case, I just think the most accurate answer to the poll is “I don’t care.”