• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday thread NL Division games

7 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

It’s because there isn’t a rule... people have used a lot of things as a rule of thumb but the rule only says it’s up to the umpires discretion if he thinks the batter attempted to hit the ball.

It is a strike if the batter offers at the pitch?

There were a few bad ball/strike calls that really made a difference. The called check swing definition has varied over the years. In the past, deference to the third or first base ump was a way to take the pressure off the home plate ump. But if you are already deferring to an ump ninety feet away, you don't always get a definite answer.

Some are more obvious than others. But a number are tough to judge. Even slow motion and multiple angles aren't always definitive. The one tonight though really seemed to be a non swing. The bat never moved more than a couple of inches and his wrists never broke and easily stopped the swing.

With all the technology, they might as well go another step and use a combination of replay and computer graphics for certain situations. Maybe incorporate more challenges that factor in home plate dynamics.

Balls and strikes are the sacred, untouchable domain of tradition, but times have changed. The public watching on TV sees and knows the accuracy of each ball/strike call via technology. Enough important games in history have been spoiled by bad ump judgment. The umps admit they aren't perfect. So why not aim for a higher standard? 

3 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Agreed. I don't think the Giants score off Scherzer and the dude was down in the count and having a terrible playoffs. It's just extremely unfortunate that human error ended the game rather than a legit strikeout or any other kind of out.

Flores was just channeling his inner 2014 Halos.

7 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

That's how it's always been called. I don't feel like googling for an official MLB rulebook because I don't really care.

This came up earlier this year or last year. There’s no written definition of a check swing. It’s completely subjective.  It’s a swing if the umpire thinks he swung basically.  I was blown away to find that out. 

7 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

So looks like it'll be Dodgers vs Astros/Red Sox. Again. Baseball is quickly turning into NBA/college football where the same 4-5 teams dominate every single year. At least the NFL is back so I don't have to pay attention. 

At least the Braves have a chance, you should be happy!