• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is trading Ohtani completely out of the question?

UtahHalo

I know it's likely heresy to even suggest such a thing. If the Halos hold on to Ohtani past the next couple of years, it's likely going to be the most absurdly large contract in baseball. Combine that with the Trout and Rendon contracts and the Angels are in the same position they've been in lately where the majority of your payroll goes to three guys and there's no cash left to build out the rest of the team.  If he got extended now, there's pretty much no money left to build out the rotation. 

I would think he'd fetch a front-line starter and a few crazy good prospects if they dealt him now. I know it's crazy talk.

1 minute ago, UtahHalo said:

I know it's likely heresy to even suggest such a thing. If the Halos hold on to Ohtani past the next couple of years, it's likely going to be the most absurdly large contract in baseball. Combine that with the Trout and Rendon contracts and the Angels are in the same position they've been in lately where the majority of your payroll goes to three guys and there's no cash left to build out the rest of the team.  If he got extended now, there's pretty much no money left to build out the rotation. 

I would think he'd fetch a front-line starter and a few crazy good prospects if they dealt him now. I know it's crazy talk.

I don't think it's crazy and if I'm Minasian, I'd at least listen to offers.  His value is never going to be higher.

6 minutes ago, UtahHalo said:

I do not trust the organization to evaluate the prospects - or even the "front-line starter" - that it would get in return. 

I can see the Angels ending up with a few crappy prospects and a front line starter who isn't as good as Ohtani.

5 minutes ago, Justin said:

I do not trust the organization to evaluate the prospects - or even the "front-line starter" - that it would get in return. 

I can see the Angels ending up with a few crappy prospects and a front line starter who isn't as good as Ohtani.

Last frontkine starter we traded for was Heaney....just saying 

Just now, Justin said:

Ha.  Valid point.  But I do think it's at least worth a discussion with other teams.  If you know you're not serious about extending him and you plan on signing another high-salary FA this off-season, then at least kick the tires on what you could get for him.  I'm not entirely sold on the notion of extending him before the end of next season, anyway.  Yes, I know if he has another huge season next year, his price goes up--but he's still controlled through 2023 and I'd be willing to take the risk.  Or else do something like a 3-year, $100M contract that would take him through 2025.  Manageable even if he gets hurt and if he's still good/great, a short deal like that takes you through most of the Trout/Rendon "window," at which point you can re-evaluate whether it makes sense to sign him again beyond that.

Ohtani might not want to do an extension that's that short--but if I'm him, it's a deal I'd take.  It's still "set for life" money (and he can pull in tens of millions more $ from endorsements, etc.) and if he's still healthy and good at the end of that contract, he'll still be young enough to cash in again.

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

It would be worth considering if Ohtani weren't one of the most marketable players in all of professional sports.  And it's not just an 'arte marketing' thing but I think any franchise with such a high profile player would have to get such a boat load of prospects that I'm not sure you could ever achieve proper value.  Maybe from a value to the 'team on the field' but perhaps not to the overall value to the franchise.  

Here's a funny statement (or at least I think it is).  The Angels have players that have either been too good or too bad to trade.  

I agree.

I honestly don't think you can measure the value of someone like Ohtani.

Outside of the fact he is currently our best pitcher, and one of (if not) our best hitters, he also amplifies the profile of the Angels organization around the world. Even though Trout has been the best player of our generation, you can still argue that Trout may not have lifted the Angels into a more marketable and valuable team like other "all time greats" have in the past, but Ohtani has the effect of creating new Angels fans outside of our market, including making the Angels incredibly popular in Japan (I believe the most growth on both the AW website and the AW Twitter were from Japanese baseball fans)

With that being said, he needs to be untouchable for now, i mean even if you did trade him, at minimum you would need two frontline starters or else you've already lost, and there are no starters in MLB that have even close to the profile of Ohtani. Honestly I don't think there are any players in MLB. Vladdy Jr. could be a distant 2nd

I believe you only float the idea of trading Ohtani if the Angels feel like they wouldn't be able to sign him to a long term deal, other than that, back up the truck of money and lock him up, even if he doesn't hit the kind of historic season he had this year, his name value should be a net positive in return over a long period of time.

51 minutes ago, fanfromday1 said:

I don't think there is any one team that could/would offer the Angels a package of players that would compensate for Ohtani's loss to the Angels. I believe that it would take at least a three or even a four team trade to accomplish that. And trades like that are really complicated. 

Similar to Trout a couple of years ago, before he signed the extension and was healthier.....no way could we have gotten a fair return, even if the other team was willing to load up a package....

16 hours ago, Jason said:

I don’t know about the rest of you all but I am kind of looking forward to seeing what he and Trout can do in the line up when they’re both healthy 

When will that be? I'll be sure to set my DVR.