• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fletcher could move to SS next year

mmc

12 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'm not sure Stefanic would qualify as a major league quality defender at any position.  Maybe 1b?  Any of those combos listed scare me.  It's either mediocre at best defense or terrible offense or both.  

Still think they need to address the position outside the org in some way.  I think we both agreed Taylor would be a good fit.  He and/or Fletch would be fine options at SS for the next 2-3 years until we see what guys like Paris and Vera can do.  Although I think if the Angels make a trade for a pitcher and try to avoid giving up Marsh and Adell, it's gonna gut a bunch of our top 10 depth.

I really think nabbing someone like Chris Taylor or, less so Mark Cahna, would be really useful in adding some insurance to the offense. Canha had my eye more when Walsh was really struggling in the summer, before Adell and Marsh, but there's still some fit at 1B/COF/DH for him, especially if for some reason one of those guys gets traded for an arm. 

But I really like Taylor. I'm not convinced he could be a plus-plus everyday shortstop, at least defensively, and I don't really like the idea of a Swiss Army approach at SS, but if we needed to do it for a season or two until a better full-time internal option emerged (Rengifo, Jackson, Soto, Vera, etc.) I think it would be the way to go.

Regarding Stefanic, I agree, his defense isn't there. I remember the same issue with Rojas a couple seasons back, to the point where I wasn't sure Rojas would ever make the bigs because he seemed only passable at 1B defensively. Yet here he was playing LF/RF and 2B in the majors. Not particularly well, but adequate enough that they were willing to try. I think there's room for Stefanic to still become okay enough defensively to see some time out there. He moved through the system quickly on the strength of his bat. A good offseason regimen focusing on defense could bring him up to par.

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Regarding Stefanic, I agree, his defense isn't there. I remember the same issue with Rojas a couple seasons back, to the point where I wasn't sure Rojas would ever make the bigs because he seemed only passable at 1B defensively. Yet here he was playing LF/RF and 2B in the majors. Not particularly well, but adequate enough that they were willing to try. I think there's room for Stefanic to still become okay enough defensively to see some time out there. He moved through the system quickly on the strength of his bat. A good offseason regimen focusing on defense could bring him up to par.

Stefanic is likely a better fielder than Rojas but we are talking tall pigmy territory maybe.   While you kindly termed his defense as adequate, I saw a guy who was a black hole..   Defensive metrics are flawed no question, particularly when looking at smaller samples but sweet Jesus the samples are ugly.

2B -- 96 innings, -3 DRS
3B -- 87 innings, -1 DRS
OF - 205 innings, -2 DRS

Rojas FWIW might have some value as the Angels version of Tio Albert, and to help offset Walsh's struggles .vs LHP, he posted a decent .841 OPS vs lefties -- but that glove is awful.

On 10/4/2021 at 4:51 PM, tdawg87 said:

Ok but he needs to actually hit.

Hot take, but he's like our 8th/9th best hitter when everyone is healthy. Even the best offenses carry some dead weight at the bottom of the order, and I wouldn't even go so far as to call Fletcher dead weight considering our lineups over the years (Lucroy, Kinsler, Cozart, etc). The more pressing concern is Trout and Rendon actually staying healthy and consistent.  

I know people want the focus to be on pitching, but wins are wins in my opinion and any way to improve the team should be considered.  Adding value at SS just seems easier that trying to do do so at the top of the rotation.  The pen numbers ended up decent because of Iglesias but there was little depth after him.  The starters ended up middle of the pack even with the injuries.  And that's one area where I do feel like we have some depth.  I can live with a 'decent' starting staff, but that would certainly necessitate at least another Cobb type or Cobb and one decent upgrade.   

I'd really like the Angels to pursue Gray.  I just see more coming from him.  I know his away splits won't get people overly geared up for him but I've always felt those COL guys are forced to pitch differently because of that park and then don't really adopt a so called 'road repertoire' due to a lack of confidence.  The vertical movement or lack thereof just messes with those guys heads.  

Anyway, regardless if it's Gray or someone else, as I've mentioned before, they need to find a guy like a Cobb where they see something as an opportunity.  

19 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I know people want the focus to be on pitching, but wins are wins in my opinion and any way to improve the team should be considered.  Adding value at SS just seems easier that trying to do do so at the top of the rotation.  The pen numbers ended up decent because of Iglesias but there was little depth after him.  The starters ended up middle of the pack even with the injuries.  And that's one area where I do feel like we have some depth.  I can live with a 'decent' starting staff, but that would certainly necessitate at least another Cobb type or Cobb and one decent upgrade.   

I'd really like the Angels to pursue Gray.  I just see more coming from him.  I know his away splits won't get people overly geared up for him but I've always felt those COL guys are forced to pitch differently because of that park and then don't really adopt a so called 'road repertoire' due to a lack of confidence.  The vertical movement or lack thereof just messes with those guys heads.  

Anyway, regardless if it's Gray or someone else, as I've mentioned before, they need to find a guy like a Cobb where they see something as an opportunity.  

You mentioned Gray a couple days ago and my mind went to Sonny Gray, I even looked at his stats for this year, wasn’t impressed and figured, well Doc must see something I don’t.  Which is often the case.  

50 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You mentioned Gray a couple days ago and my mind went to Sonny Gray, I even looked at his stats for this year, wasn’t impressed and figured, well Doc must see something I don’t.  Which is often the case.  

I'd be down for exploring a Sonny Gray trade too.