• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fletcher could move to SS next year

mmc

23 hours ago, totdprods said:

No ones mentioned Stefanic yet? Wow.

This could very well just be very early posturing too.

I would not be surprised with some combination of Fletcher, Rengifo, and Mayfield at SS, and guys like Fletcher, Stefanic, and Rojas playing 2B, especially if they're sinking big money into pitching.

Davis is a better defender than Stefanic and Rojas. That said, i would scour the list of Rule 5 eligible ss's and look for the best defender.

Broken record on this.  I have no problem with Fletcher playing every day for the Angels since you can’t have an All-Star at every position.  A team can win a WS with a guy like Fletcher in the lineup.

But not if you have too many other holes (and lousy pitching).

So I can’t really begin to care about where Fletcher plays.

He is only a problem if there are too many other problems.

Ask me in Spring Training if I am OK with Fletcher every day at 2B or SS in 2022.

It’s not a question that can be correctly answered today because it depends on the rest of the roster.

2 hours ago, greginpsca said:

Davis is a better defender than Stefanic and Rojas. That said, i would scour the list of Rule 5 eligible ss's and look for the best defender.

I was touting Davis back when he was at Tri-City doing the hotlists...I suspected he was finding a new gear. Stefanic's contact ability is superior, and Rojas will have an edge hitting left-handed as long as we're thin on lefty-bats, which could change as soon as next year.

That said, I'm not quite convinced he's ready to make an MLB impact yet. I think at some point in '22 he gets a shot somewhere, but raking at SLC in 30 games (even after what he did at A+ and AA) is still premature to judge what we have. 

I hope they add him. Honestly, I am not against adding R5-eligible Livan Soto this winter if there's room. His glove is MLB-ready and potentially well above-average. The offensive skill set is developing, but there's some hope for him still. I wouldn't expect him to be the opening day UT IF, but he could solve that as the season goes on.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Rendon is just a serviceable fielding 3rd baseman and has no 2nd base service time. Bryant was moved to the outfield because of his defensive short comings. 

Pitching and defense not offense, offense, offense no defense or pitching. 

he does actually have time at 2b.  A fair amount but it was awhile ago.  and my guess is he's gonna slow down a bit after having surgery.  

On 10/4/2021 at 7:56 PM, totdprods said:

No ones mentioned Stefanic yet? Wow.

This could very well just be very early posturing too.

I would not be surprised with some combination of Fletcher, Rengifo, and Mayfield at SS, and guys like Fletcher, Stefanic, and Rojas playing 2B, especially if they're sinking big money into pitching.

I'm not sure Stefanic would qualify as a major league quality defender at any position.  Maybe 1b?  Any of those combos listed scare me.  It's either mediocre at best defense or terrible offense or both.  

Still think they need to address the position outside the org in some way.  I think we both agreed Taylor would be a good fit.  He and/or Fletch would be fine options at SS for the next 2-3 years until we see what guys like Paris and Vera can do.  Although I think if the Angels make a trade for a pitcher and try to avoid giving up Marsh and Adell, it's gonna gut a bunch of our top 10 depth.