• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels Coaching Staff

BTH

Now that the season is over, I anticipate that news will come on the coaching staff.

I think Maddon values continuity, so I don't expect a ton of changes.

Ryan Garko already left the coaching staff a week or two ago, so they'll have to replace him.

Some questions though:

Does Matt Wise remain as the pitching coach?

Does Dom Chiti, the bullpen coach, go back into a front-office role? (like Minasian initially hired him for)

Does everyone else stay?

EDIT: Another question is where does Mike Butcher fit into the picture now that he's back with the organization?

One thing I've wondered about is if Jose Molina eventually becomes the Angels bench coach.

He's currently the catching coach, but I think he might be being groomed by Maddon as the Angels future manager. Yet, they may need to promote him to bench coach in order to prevent another team from poaching him.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

One thing I've wondered about is if Jose Molina eventually becomes the Angels bench coach.

He's currently the catching coach, but I think he might be being groomed by Maddon as the Angels future manager. Yet, they may need to promote him to bench coach in order to prevent another team from poaching him.

If Jose gets poached by another team, not a big deal.  There are plenty of other Molinas.

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

Some questions though:

Does Matt Wise remain as the pitching coach?

Does Dom Chiti, the bullpen coach, go back into a front-office role? (like Minasian initially hired him for)

Does everyone else stay?

I think Wise should return to bullpen coach, with Chiti back to his original role, if for no other reason than to bring another source of knowledge into the picture. Wise can have plenty of influence still working in the bullpen, and Chiti was intended to be a higher-level anyways.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I think Wise should return to bullpen coach, with Chiti back to his original role, if for no other reason than to bring another source of knowledge into the picture. Wise can have plenty of influence still working in the bullpen, and Chiti was intended to be a higher-level anyways.

This is where I land as well.

The only question I have is whether Wise would be OK with the "demotion." He probably would be, though, since he got promoted out of necessity.

6 minutes ago, Trendon said:

This is where I land as well.

The only question I have is whether Wise would be OK with the "demotion." He probably would be, though, since he got promoted out of necessity.

Yeah, I'm sure most people are okay with demotions...

2 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Yeah, I'm sure most people are okay with demotions...

Well, he was essentially the interim pitching coach. He never got hired to be the pitching coach. He just replaced the pitching coach out of necessity.

But yeah, I'm not 100% sure that he would be OK with it.

“There’s a lot of internal talent on this team, but we need to improve the players we have,” Minasian said. “There are younger players with another gear. Also on the mound, too. We can go out and make a free-agent slash on one guy and win the offseason to a certain extent, but there needs to be a lot of internal improvement, too.”

It doesn't seem like you'd bring back the entire coaching staff for 2022 when you need internal improvement that didn't happen under the same coaches in 2021.

14 hours ago, Trendon said:

“There’s a lot of internal talent on this team, but we need to improve the players we have,” Minasian said. “There are younger players with another gear. Also on the mound, too. We can go out and make a free-agent slash on one guy and win the offseason to a certain extent, but there needs to be a lot of internal improvement, too.”

It doesn't seem like you'd bring back the entire coaching staff for 2022 when you need internal improvement that didn't happen under the same coaches in 2021.

He didn’t say development “didn’t happen” in 2021.

He says there are players that still need more development.