• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Time to go all-in?

1 hour ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

It mostly stems from my complete lack of faith in this org's ability to scout the free agent market (like we'd honestly have been better off targeting players drawn out of a hat than who we've signed over the last few years). Coupled that with the emergence of our farm system, I'd rather just see us rely on the young guys.

The only free agents I'd consider are Scherzer and maybe Verlander (for 1 or 2 years) just because of their overwhelming track record. Of course Pujols had an airtight track record too... 

if they rely on the young guys then they won’t be in the post season in 2022. Maybe 2023 and 2024 though.  As far as signings like Pujols, it wouldn’t have been so bad had it not been a 10 year deal. 

Edited by Jason

24 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Interesting take. Who do you think has more potential to win? The Angels or Mets? I'd say the Angels although the Mets have an easier division.

I like the Angels core, when healthy. I like the Mets starting pitching better, when healthy. But the Mets are probably lose some of their pitchers as soon as this offseason. Leaving them with not much else left. The Angels pitching prospects have a brighter future.

1 hour ago, WicketMaiden said:

I don't think we need that much of a hike. A $30m raise to take the budget to the tax threshold of $210m for a season or two would give Perry $80m - $85m for pitching, short-stop and a few fill-ins this off-season. Add in some of the farm capital for trades and the Angels could land someone like Scherzer for three years, plus another starter in trade; plus Raisel; and a reliable set-up guy; and still have $25m to $30m left for SS and a couple of Joe's favourite good clubhouse guys. 

Upton's money after next year goes to Ohtani, so that gives you three years of contention through Trout and Ohtani's prime until the big contracts start dropping off and the next wave of farmhands come through (Paris; Knowles; Vera; Adams etc).

My question is how does Tampa do it with a low payroll? Just by throwing 30 to 80 million does not solve the problem. All the money halos throw at players has not worked. I like this young core of players. Walsh, Adell, Marsh, Fletcher and even Ward. Young starters like Sandoval, Suarez, Chris Rod, Canning and even Barria. They have some young arms in pen and need to develop more. I resign Raisel Igelias and Cobb. Will need Trout and Rendon to be healthy or it will not matter what starter they sign. Teams like SF and Tampa won this year with strong bullpens. Pitchers go 5 to 6 inn in todays game. Lineup next year if healthy will be one of best in baseball. Do not spend money on big name SS this off season.

Would the Halos consider having both CRod (start of season) and Bachman (later on) pitch out of the pen in the late innings?

Then re-resign Iglesias and Cobb.

Sign Stroman (durability & GB machine)

Sign a solid late innings guy.

Rotation: Ohtani, Stroman, Sandoval, Cobb, Suarez, and Junk/Detmers?

Bullpen: Iglesias, acquisition, CRod, Bachman (later on), Mayers, Warren, Quijada, Cishek, and one of the farm relievers like Ortega or Marte?

Edited by Angel Oracle

22 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Would the Halos consider having both CRod (start of season) and Bachman (later on) pitch out of the pen in the late innings?

Then re-resign Iglesias and Cobb.

Sign Stroman (durability & GB machine)

Sign a solid late innings guy.

Rotation: Ohtani, Stroman, Sandoval, Cobb, Suarez, and Junk/Detmers?

Bullpen: Iglesias, acquisition, CRod, Bachman (later on), Mayers, Warren, Quijada, Cishek, and one of the farm relievers like Ortega or Marte?

I concur.

7 hours ago, eligrba4ever said:

Aren't the Angels "all in" every offseason? Get a reality check and read the Bill Dwyre column that ran in the LA Times on Oct. 4.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2021-10-04/another-mediocre-angels-season-met-by-shrugs-because-it-was-expected

Most here will dismiss the article because they refuse to except the ineptness of their favorite team. Pretty much like what's the point of focusing on all the negatives? It doesn't matter that the Angels payroll continues to be top 10 every year. It doesn't matter that so many mistakes are made on and off the field. It doesn't matter that every year there is dysfunction. Most will continue to make excuses or choose to live in fantasy land. It's pretty much worked out too. Moreno has gotten his 3 million fans for many of those losing seasons.  A lot of fans were coming to only watch Trout, Ohtani and maybe 1 or 2 others. They didn't care if the team won.

Hell, the poll here proved that many would rather see Trout play his entire career with the Angels and NOT win a World Series rather than trading him and the Angels winning a World Series. That is mind bottling to me. They put an individual above the team but it just goes to prove that a lot of Angels fans are just different. Like the article states, most Angels fans don't expect to win and have just accepted that Arte Moreno doesn't know how to win a World Series or hell, even get to the playoffs. When you choose your teams you root for, you just have to hope the owners of those teams know how to properly run said team. So far, we have an owner that has been clueless for the last 12 years. It sucks but he's the owner of our favorite team.

9 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Hell, the poll here proved that many would rather see Trout play his entire career with the Angels and NOT win a World Series rather than trading him and the Angels winning a World Series. That is mind bottling to me. They put an individual above the team but it just goes to prove that a lot of Angels fans are just different. Like the article states, most Angels fans don't expect to win and have just accepted that Arte Moreno doesn't know how to win a World Series or hell, even get to the playoffs. When you choose your teams you root for, you just have to hope the owners of those teams know how to properly run said team. So far, we have an owner that has been clueless for the last 12 years. It sucks but he's the owner of our favorite team.

564cef0c-4419-4440-a1cd-dd463d902624_text.gif