• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

With all that went wrong

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

You know my answer. But it is also borne out by numbers. Even if Trout had produced a "sub-par" (for him 8 WAR season, and Rendon a measly 4 WAR, that's about 10 wins added. 87-75, rather than 77-85. And if both had been vintage, we're looking at 90 wins.

Not to mention other factors.

Thats what im thinking...

Didnt even really consider it the past few months until i looked at the wild card standings right now.

I also wonder what Ohtanis season numbers would have been.

9 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Thats what im thinking...

Didnt even really consider it the past few months until i looked at the wild card standings right now.

I also wonder what Ohtanis season numbers would have been.

Well, it does make you think just how much swing is involved each year, or how a single signing or two could make a huge difference. I mean, just based on WAR, imagine if we had a healthy peak Trout (9 WAR), healthy peak Rendon (6 WAR) and had signed Zack Wheeler a couple years ago (7 WAR), rather than giving 200 innings to shlubs like Quintana and Bundy. That's about +18 WAR, which brings the team to 95 wins.

Now WAR doesn't necessarily translate to wins, but it is supposed to. There's luck, timeliness, and lots of other factors. But my point is, just by keeping two guys healthy and adding another, the team coulda been a contender.

image.png

40 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

S Pitching issues aside. Bullpen issues aside. Defense issues aside.

How many more games do we win with Trout and Rendon healthy this season?

Is it realistic, going back to April, when the "this team is special" thread had some seeing this team as a 90 win squad?

With a healthy Trout, Rendon Cobb

And a full season of Suarez Sandoval and Barria instead of Contreras, Bundy, Canning and Heaney 

This team is a wild card team.  Lock down bullpen and we give the Astros a run for their money.

Edited by stormngt

12 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Well in this fictitious world are the injured players on other teams still injured or are they healthy as well? 

This is obviously a fair point.

But the fact we won 78 games without Trout is I think pretty telling. Because it isnt like it was just trout.

I dont know of any other playoff team that lost the same value of trout and rendon.

If memory serves weren’t they pretty shitty when Trout and Rendon(barely) played.  Rendon was having a pretty terrible year.  No bullpen, extremely inconsistent starting pitching.  This wasn’t a playoff team.  They would have had a crappier draft pick and that’s it.  It would have been better if they lost even more. 

I think it a little funny that you guys focus on Trout and Rendon and forget that Upton missed nearly half the season as well, leaving a gap that was filled by crap. Upton's first half was an .816 OPS. That was replaced by guys like Gosselin, Lagares and Rojas that couldn't play to .700 OPS. The one bright spot was watching Adell catch fire but he too was shelved because of a freak injury. 

Put Trout, Rendon and Upton healthy in the lineup this whole year and they can absorb Fowler going down the first month and not suffer a complete power outage at the plate. The Angels had two hitters, Ohtani and Walsh and both hit pretty long dry spells in the 2nd half with no one on the roster that could pick up the slack.

BTW, Walsh hitting 29 home runs is the first time we had that much production from 1st base since 2015. And you have to go back to Pujols 1st season with the Angels to match his OPS. That is how much of a black hole Albert had created over the last 5 years while managers were tied to playing him because of salary reasons. 

Can the Angels do better next season? Just by returning players on the roster healthy and ejecting garbage like Bundy, Heaney and Quintana the pitching will be far superior by just filling those holes with the guys we've already seen from the minors. Yeah, they could use another top of the rotation guy but at least the floor will be raised by a bunch of young arms that showed they can keep the team in the game for 5-6 innings.

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

You know my answer. But it is also borne out by numbers. Even if Trout had produced a "sub-par" (for him 8 WAR season, and Rendon a measly 4 WAR, that's about 10 wins added. 87-75, rather than 77-85. And if both had been vintage, we're looking at 90 wins.

Not to mention other factors.

Did the players who replaced Trout and Rendon produce any WAR?  I actually don't know the answer.  

If they did produce positive WAR, wouldn't that have to be subtracted from your imaginary equation?

4 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

If memory serves weren’t they pretty shitty when Trout and Rendon(barely) played.  Rendon was having a pretty terrible year.  No bullpen, extremely inconsistent starting pitching.  This wasn’t a playoff team.  They would have had a crappier draft pick and that’s it.  It would have been better if they lost even more. 

Rendon was having a terrible year because he was never healthy.  

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

Did the players who replaced Trout and Rendon produce any WAR?  I actually don't know the answer.  

If they did produce positive WAR, wouldn't that have to be subtracted from your imaginary equation?

So I just looked up the four primary replacements for Trout and Rendon, that would be Marsh, Lagares, Gosselin and Mayfield.  I added up their WAR and believe it or not according to baseball reference going into today’s game the four combined when you add up their WAR came to exactly 0.0 WAR.