• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Paging Perry Minasian...

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

to be honest there has not been anything in the pipeline for him to promote since Trout. The minors since then had only provided complimentary players but no major star talent. Ohtani has been the only real star player but his career was derailed by surgery. The rise of Adell and Marsh may change that landscape. 

They absolutely need to keep those two around if for no other reason because their salaries will give the Angels 3-4 years where they can spend elsewhere..   But they have to start thinking about a core to come into place for life in decline era Trout.

I wonder if Ohtani would consider a mid-range extension, sort of like what Trout got in 2014 (6/$144.5M), for his age 23-29 seasons; wasn't that a couple years before he was due for free agency? 

Ohtani is due 2/$8.5m for his age 27-28 seasons. I wonder if he would consider taking something like 5/$150M, which would both set him for life and still give him a chance for another big pay-day at age 32.

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Technically, any extension they give him wouldn't need to kick in until next year.   The only real takeaway from this is that all the talk about him "wanting out" or whatever the narrative might be is noise and the only thing the Angels should worry about is trying to win.  Everyone wants that.

The rest will take care of itself.

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

Oh, I figured it was all noise to begin with.  

10 yrs., $400M?

Keep him to his already agreed upon $5.5M arbitration agreement and start it next season as IP suggested.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I wonder if Ohtani would consider a mid-range extension, sort of like what Trout got in 2014 (6/$144.5M), for his age 23-29 seasons; wasn't that a couple years before he was due for free agency? 

Ohtani is due 2/$8.5m for his age 27-28 seasons. I wonder if he would consider taking something like 5/$150M, which would both set him for life and still give him a chance for another big pay-day at age 32.

If Rendon's getting $35m AAV and Trout is a shade north of that, why would Shohei, who is building an argument to be the best player in the entire history of the game, take anything less? 

2 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

If Rendon's getting $35m AAV and Trout is a shade north of that, why would Shohei, who is building an argument to be the best player in the entire history of the game, take anything less? 

my guess would be that while he's had a year unlike anyone else in the history of the game, he doesn't have a long enough track record of this kind of play in the MLB.

I'd wait for one more year before beginning negotiations with him. With a healthy Trout and Rendon next year, and hopefully an improved pitching staff, it might be easier to convince him to sign an extension. If he plays again next year like he did this year, drive him to Fort Knox, give him a Costco-style flat shopping cart, and let him go shopping, all at Arte's expense.

15 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

That doesn't make sense at all, considering they already have him for two more years. Why give him two expensive option years on top of that?

He is going to want an opt out because he wants to win. OK 5 or 6 year deal with opt out after 4 years. If he does not sign an extension this winter I would consider a trade. His value will never be higher. If Artie will not go over lux tax 3 players taking up 120 mill does not leave much wiggle room. Remember Angels 6 straight losing seasons.

2 minutes ago, Tank said:

my guess would be that while he's had a year unlike anyone else in the history of the game, he doesn't have a long enough track record of this kind of play in the MLB.

I'd wait for one more year before beginning negotiations with him. With a healthy Trout and Rendon next year, and hopefully an improved pitching staff, it might be easier to convince him to sign an extension. If he plays again next year like he did this year, drive him to Fort Knox, give him a Costco-style flat shopping cart, and let him go shopping, all at Arte's expense.

Artie does not go over lux so you would have 3 players taking up more than 125 million

5 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Artie does not go over lux so you would have 3 players taking up more than 125 million

correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't we go over the luxury tax at least once during his tenure? and has he stated that he absolutely won't go over it?

remember also that ohtani is already signed for the next two years, so dumping a gazillion dollars on him right now isn't necessary. and with all the money comimg off the books from no longer having to pay pujols and others, going over the luxury tax may not be necessary this winter.

Shohei is a big revenue draw for Arte, but the issue is that Arte isn't gonna put that added revenue back directly into the player payroll.

For example, Arte may get his money's worth on and off the field combined by paying Ohtani, say, $40 million a season. BUT he may not be worth $40 million on the field, and that's less money that could be spent elsewhere on the roster unless Arte directly puts the off the field Ohtani revenue into the player payroll.

2 hours ago, Revad said:

And when asked he said he’d do it again for the right player.  Ohtani should be that player.

Like Strad is pointing out, I think its smart to question of hes legit or not. We've only seen this for one season.

That said, youre absolutely right. If not him, who is the right player.

We're way overdue for some good luck. And as @Inside Pitch pointed out, if adell, marsh, detmers and say sandoval work out, we'll have a decent cushion of affordability for awhile, about until when Rendon is coming off the books.

I think for the short window of the next 3 years, while (barring catastrophe) we still have good years in trout/ohtani/rendon, use the bauer dodger model, and overpay a front line pitcher for short years.

2 hours ago, Revad said:

If the deal made sense I’d trade Upton but I’m not comfortable giving him away (which would likely happen) because he’s a good player with a history of success and if healthy could be a big part of winning next year.

Ive been one of the bigger upton defenders on here. And have been a huge fan of his since his early years.

But I dont expect anything good from him going forward. The talent is there, but he cant stay healthy. And with all the time hes missed, and him getting older, I dont see him providing a whole lot bat wise.

So of he does, it will be a surprise boost. If he doesnt, wont get too upset.