• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Paging Perry Minasian...

44 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I just can’t see them giving him the extension this year based on what they need to do to upgrade the roster.  Unless of course it is $10 million the first two years and then it balloons up.  

Technically, any extension they give him wouldn't need to kick in until next year.   The only real takeaway from this is that all the talk about him "wanting out" or whatever the narrative might be is noise and the only thing the Angels should worry about is trying to win.  Everyone wants that.

The rest will take care of itself.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Technically, any extension they give him wouldn't need to kick in until next year.   The only real takeaway from this is that all the talk about him wanting out is noise and the only thing the Angels should worry about is trying to win.

The rest will take care of itself.

Oh, I figured it was all noise to begin with.  

43 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d really like to see how he plays next year before I decide whether he is a $150 million player or a $350 million player.  Remember this was his first crazy year.  Before this year, his career WAR was 6 over 3 seasons.  

I was there earlier this year.

Now, I suppose id give him 60 mill a year. Or, what we paid upton, pujols, heaney and bundy this year.

Obviously i say that jokingly. But at the same time, we've wasted so much on crap, that a true superstar thats popular as hell, IMO, is worth the risk of overpay.

I think worst case scenario is Ohtani gives up pitching, maybe moves to 1B (or RF), and settles in as a slugger with speed.

Lets say we lock him up for 275 mill or something, and thats the worst we get out of him for the next decade.

It wont be a good contract at all. But the gamble of him very likely giving us another 2-3 years of this, with that 4 years from now, and on to the next 6? I think its worth it.

I, like many on here, dont want the angels to get stuck with another bad contract. But like trout, ohtani is more than just his numbers..... hes a homegrown historic player... losing him would haunt us, I think.

And for at least in the short term, he puts more butts in the seats than Trout does.... 

7 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I was there earlier this year.

Now, I suppose id give him 60 mill a year. Or, what we paid upton, pujols, heaney and bundy this year.

Obviously i say that jokingly. But at the same time, we've wasted so much on crap, that a true superstar thats popular as hell, IMO, is worth the risk of overpay.

I think worst case scenario is Ohtani gives up pitching, maybe moves to 1B (or RF), and settles in as a slugger with speed.

Lets say we lock him up for 275 mill or something, and thats the worst we get out of him for the next decade.

It wont be a good contract at all. But the gamble of him very likely giving us another 2-3 years of this, with that 4 years from now, and on to the next 6? I think its worth it.

I, like many on here, dont want the angels to get stuck with another bad contract. But like trout, ohtani is more than just his numbers..... hes a homegrown historic player... losing him would haunt us, I think.

And for at least in the short term, he puts more butts in the seats than Trout does.... 

and if the worst we get out of him for that $275 million is the 2nd half production we got?  Which was a .825 OPS.  

54 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d really like to see how he plays next year before I decide whether he is a $150 million player or a $350 million player.  Remember this was his first crazy year.  Before this year, his career WAR was 6 over 3 seasons.  

wha...Wha..? what you told me he was going to get around 40 mil a year...

Just now, Stradling said:

and if the worst we get out of him for that $275 million is the 2nd half production we got?  Which was a .825 OPS.  

Totally a valid argument.

But looking back at every big contract weve handed out, thats no more a gamble I think.

Has Trout been worth it since he signed?

Then looking at the pending free agents everyone is talking about on here.... scherzer, snydagaard, ray, stroman, seagar, correa, etc etc.... i cant think of a single one of those more steady than trout, except for scherzer maybe. But hes old enough to complain the new wonder years doesnt have the same feel as the original one.

Personally, if we get "dud" ohtani for 30 a year, and hes merely the guy we saw in 2018 and 19.... it will be a bad contract, but it wont kill us i dont think.

Either way hes a power lefty bat (that we havent had in years) who can run. As long as he doesnt get hurt, he'll give us a lot more than upton has.

Now, the best case or even medium case. Hes a superduper star. Or at least, a pitcher who anchors a staff that hopefully is about to break out, and a lefty moto bat in between trout and rendon

I think batting in between those two is going to bring him back to upper 9s/ 1000 ops

It's going to be a heck of a game of shuffling chairs for the Angels as the minor leagues produce more and more talent. About the time Rendon's contract expires they will be looking at Adell and Marsh deep into arbitration. Then there are the pitchers, Canning, Saurez, Sandoval followed by C-Rod and Detmers. How many home town discounts will be needed to keep the core together when Trout and Ohtani are a major part of the payroll. 

10 minutes ago, Blarg said:

It's going to be a heck of a game of shuffling chairs for the Angels as the minor leagues produce more and more talent. About the time Rendon's contract expires they will be looking at Adell and Marsh deep into arbitration. Then there are the pitchers, Canning, Saurez, Sandoval followed by C-Rod and Detmers. How many home town discounts will be needed to keep the core together when Trout and Ohtani are a major part of the payroll. 

It makes me wonder how Arte views his marketing strategy. Based on history, I suspect he prefers to market star players instead of the team. That might explain why he appears to focus on splashes rather than on the stability of the player pipeline.

2 minutes ago, eligrba said:

It makes me wonder how Arte views his marketing strategy. Based on history, I suspect he prefers to market star players instead of the team. That might explain why he appears to focus on splashes rather than on the stability of the player pipeline.

to be honest there has not been anything in the pipeline for him to promote since Trout. The minors since then had only provided complimentary players but no major star talent. Ohtani has been the only real star player but his career was derailed by surgery. The rise of Adell and Marsh may change that landscape.