• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Our Minor League Player of the Year goes to....

Chuck

56 minutes ago, True Grich said:

@Inside Pitch what is your take on the guy?

I have some doubts. 

The AA and AAA parks are hitters' paradises, so that clouds it some for me.  He also went through a pretty massive swing change between the 2018/2019 season, then 2020 happened.  How much of what happened this year is due to the changes starting to take and how much is park inflated... I dunno.  Personally, I would like to see him repeat it before jumping on his bandwagon but there is no question he took a huge step forward.

My personal concerns aside... If the Angels valued Rojas, they should probably value Davis.  He wouldn't have been my pick for minor league player of the year, but he's got some projection and some thump for a guy that can play middle IF, people wouldn't be wrong to dream on him a bit imho. Maybe more importantly, if his defense plays he's already more valuable than some guys on the 40 man.

Anyway.... Davis is exactly the sort of toolsy player that can all of a sudden figure it out.  People always talked about projection with him, a player who's tools argued he was better than his numbers. Maybe that's finally happened with him? There are statistical things that give me pause but there is enough fuzziness/outside factors involved to keep me from having a strong opinion on just data.

The Angels could really use a Jared Walsh type surprise find that can play middle IFer.  

9 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I have some doubts. 

The AA and AAA parks are hitters' paradises, so that clouds it some for me.  He also went through a pretty massive swing change between the 2018/2019 season, then 2020 happened.  How much of what happened this year is due to the changes starting to take and how much is park inflated... I dunno.  Personally, I would like to see him repeat it before jumping on his bandwagon but there is no question he took a huge step forward.

My personal concerns aside... If the Angels valued Rojas, they should probably value Davis.  He wouldn't have been my pick for minor league player of the year, but he's got some projection and some thump for a guy that can play middle IF, people wouldn't be wrong to dream on him a bit imho. Maybe more importantly, if his defense plays he's already more valuable than some guys on the 40 man.

Anyway.... Davis is exactly the sort of toolsy player that can all of a sudden figure it out.  People always talked about projection with him, a player who's tools argued he was better than his numbers. Maybe that's finally happened with him? There are statistical things that give me pause but there is enough fuzziness/outside factors involved to keep me from having a strong opinion on just data.

The Angels could really use a Jared Walsh type surprise find that can play middle IFer.  

this is pretty much how I feel and while I have some reservations, I think he's totally worth putting on the 40 man to protect and find out the truth.  I've seen a bit of his defense over the year and nothing stood out one way or another although he did look pretty natural and passed the eye test just about everywhere he played.  Way more so than a bunch of the guys we were even trotting out at the major league level in spots they shouldn't have been in.  Personally thought they should have kept him in AA till their season ended.  Even though it was a hitters park, breaking balls still happen.  It's really why I hate having our AAA team at altitude.  Guys just don't get acclimated to really good breaking pitches there.  

11 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The thing is, the Angels didn't protect Rojas from the 2019 or 2020 Rule 5 draft. So they'd have to value Davis more than Rojas in order for them to actually go out of their way to protect him on the 40-man roster.