• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Early Guide to Hot Stove: A look at the 25-Man Roster and team needs

How about Desclafani? he's had injury histories in the past, but has shown Big upside and he has finally put it together. there is concern with the Injury history and the Giants giving him the QA, but he's an interesting piece, he could be the next Morton. 

So, Instead of spending 25+ mil on one player, rather you go over quantity. 

So go after Desclafani: 30-33 mil over 3 years

Re-sign Cobb: 14 mil over 2 years

maybe take a shot at Greinke at 10 mil for 1 year. he can be the inning eater and veteran of the staff. Still showed really go number away from Houston. 

So that's 27 Mil on the starting rotation. If these guys repeat there 2021 numbers, combined we're looking at around 7 war. 

This add more depth to the system, we can keep guys like Detmers and Rodriguez down. 

Than, we can next focus on the Bullpen;

re-sign Iglesias 64 mil over 4 years

than about 7-9 mil to add another arm.

But lets say you don't sign Grenike, and have that extra 10 mil to spend. 

Re-sign Iglesias

Mchugh: 16 mil over 2 years

Knebel: 16 mil over 2 years..  

15 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

So, Instead of spending 25+ mil on one player, rather you go over quantity. 

I do think the other potential avenue is just trying to land mid-rotation starters and beef up the bullpen. The problem, though, is the Angels have hard a horrible time with signing mid-rotation starters. They never get mid-rotation production, or even back-end of the rotation production- they get below replacement level production.

20 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I do think the other potential avenue is just trying to land mid-rotation starters and beef up the bullpen. The problem, though, is the Angels have hard a horrible time with signing mid-rotation starters. They never get mid-rotation production, or even back-end of the rotation production- they get below replacement level production.

That was with Eppler and Dipoto. That is irrelevant at this point. 

On 10/2/2021 at 11:38 AM, Angelsjunky said:

MLB-Network-Hot-Stove.jpeg

We've been doing some of this for most of the season, but I thought I'd scan through the team and update where we are, in terms of what pieces are in place for next year, and what holes need to be filled (gross).

Bold players are virtual locks for the 25-man roster (assuming they aren't released or traded), and regular are candidates.

2022 26-Man Roster (Locks and in-house Candidates)

C Stassi, Thaiss

1B Walsh

2B Fletcher

SS Rengifo, Mayfield

3B Rendon

UT/MI Stefanic, Rojas, Wong, Davis, Barreto

OF Trout, Upton, Marsh, Adell, Ward

SP Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers, Rodriguez, Canning, Barria

RP Mayers, Warren, Ortega, Quijada, Wantz, Selman, Tyler, Herget, Diaz, Junk, Naughton, Barria, etc

So first off, roster is now 26 man.

I'd add Quijada to the list of locks. Also Barria, if he's here. He is out of options, so unless traded he's up. Naughton is also out of options. Canning though has them, and all of the other pitchers you listed do as well.

Ward, Rengifo and Thaiss have options so they'll stay with the organization. So does Mayfield. I do not see them adding a vet at 1st, 2nd or 3rd with the amount of depth they have there. But Rengifo and Mayfield are depth, not starters.

I don't see the need to add a backup for CF if Upton and Marsh are on the team, one of them just needs to move over, or if not starting is the backup. Though I could see 5 OF with the 5th being Ward.

I like Rojas, but Ward and Thaiss are probably still above him in the depth chart at 1st and 3rd. Barreto is gonna be non-tendered. As wlll Gosselin. They may resign these guys to minor league deals, but they are not paying more than the major league minimum for either.

As for C, I'm fine with rolling the dice with Stassi as primary and then just having Thaiss and Ward being the backup catchers. There are always minor league journeyman, and I'd have at least one of those guys, perhaps two at AAA.

Davis and Stefanic will be up at some point next year. That being said, the depth is better in 2022 because of how much guys were moved up.

FA focus must be on pitching, and like someone else said in this thread, I like Jon Gray from Colorado as a sleeper. But I'd do that and add two other names, one from the high end starter group, one from the midrange. And resign Iglesias and adding one of the premier SS. Doing all of that will be very expensive, but it is better for the outlook than extending Ohtani. He's under contract for two more seasons, you do not have to do anything until 2024, but should look to extend him with one year left, not two. This is the first season he's lived up to potential. Winning next year will convince him to come back more than offering him more money. He wants money, of course, but he's also did forgo a lot of cash coming over here earlier, rather than waiting two more seasons in Japan and then coming here.

Iglesias will not get $20 M annually, he's likely gonna get close to what Hendriks got and that's fine. $16 AAV maybe as he's 30 already, I wouldn't really heavily backload this. Maybe 13-15-15-17 with a $4M bonus or option.

Scherzer makes sense as it will be a 3 year deal, likely, even if it costs $100 M. $10M signing or option bonus, 30M per season.

Stroman makes sense too, I think he'll command something just short of Strasburg money, maybe 6/192. I would backload this.

Gray probably gets $50-60 Million over 4 seasons. Minor backload, something like 12-14-16-18 would be 4/60.

Seager will break the bank, but maybe Story could be had for a little less. I'm not worried about the home/road splits. I don't really want Baez or the cheater. I'd be okay with Semien, as he's the oldest of the five elites and even though he had the best year, may not get the best contract. Story probably gets 7/215. Seager I'd say 8/272 and Correa 8/280, with Semien probably getting like 5/165. All five of those guys may be too expensive, but I say go for it. Trade for a backup C and for relief arms, if need be. If you can only get 4 of those names, I'd say two starters (one being Gray) and then Iglesias and a SS.