• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: José Suarez pitches Angels past contending Mariners in tense game

SEATTLE — While the Seattle Mariners are playing for their 2021 postseason lives, the Angels are simply rehearsing for what they hope they’ll experience in 2022.

Two young pitchers, José Suarez and José Quijada, each passed their tests with flying colors.

Suarez gave up one run in five innings and Quijada struck out all three batters he faced to escape a jam in the seventh, helping the Angels to a 2-1 victory over the Mariners on Friday night.

The Angels pushed the Mariners a game behind the Boston Red Sox for the second American League wild-card berth. They are also tied with the Toronto Blue Jays with two games left in the regular season.

The Angels won in an electric atmosphere provided by a sellout crowd of 44,169 desperate to see the Mariners end their 20-year playoff drought.

“I love it,” Manager Joe Maddon said before the game. “I think it’s great. I’m excited about it myself. This is what it’s supposed to feel like this time of the year. You’re playing meaningful games. It’s more way more meaningful for them than it is for us, but it’s a nice taste.”

Suarez kept them quiet for most of the time he was on the mound, though, continuing the solid work that might earn him a spot in next year’s rotation.

Suarez, 23, finished his season with a 3.75 ERA in 98-1/3 innings. It was a dramatic turnaround from the 7.99 ERA he had through 83-1/3 innings in 2019-20.

He gave up a run in the second, but even that would not have scored if second baseman David Fletcher had made a better relay or catcher Kurt Suzuki would have held the ball on a play at the plate.

Otherwise, Suarez did not allow the Mariners to even get a runner into scoring position. He faced the minimum in three of his five innings, thanks to two double plays.

The Angels gave him a lead in the top of the third. Luis Rengifo led off with a single. Fletcher, who is now hitless in his last 31 at-bats, then fought for a 10-pitch walk. Brandon Marsh doubled into left center, driving in both.

The Angels were still clinging to that 2-1 lead in the seventh when Mike Mayers gave up a leadoff triple to Luis Torrens and walked Abraham Toro.

Quijada entered, though, and struck out Jarred Kelenic, Tom Murphy and Dylan Moore. Quijada, 25, had also struck out three in a row to strand two runners in his previous outing, on Wednesday.

Veterans Steve Cishek and Raisel Iglesias then handled the eighth and ninth to secure the victory.

More to come on this story.

View the full article

I think Suarez has pitched his way into next year's starting rotation (assuming he has a solid Spring Training). That's a nice change-up to have in a 4th or 5th starter and I liked the way he responded in pressure situations. A good winter working on a couple of things and he could break out in a major way. Promising stuff. 

Having said all that, the Mariners line-up is about as scary as an episode of Scooby-Do.

Ohtani, Stroman, Sandoval, Cobb, Suarez, Barria/Detmers/Junk for 2022 rotation?

Iglesias, acquisition, Mayers, Warren, Quijada for 5/8 of the 2022 pen?   Maybe Bachman start off in MLB at mid-season as a late innings reliever with the electric four seamer and slider?

Edited by Angel Oracle

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I have a strong feeling Barria won’t be back.  

He has no options, whereas Suarez has 1 left, Sandoval has 2, and Canning has 3. Detmers and C-Rod have plenty.

He's the odd-man out, unless Minasian sees something there as a reliever, but even then he still has 0 options so more than likely he'll be traded.

Seeing that Cishek has been solid since August 1, he could be someone good to have in 2022 in a middle pen spot, as there will be a significant number of inexperienced guys in the pen.

Agree that they may be forced to trade Barria to make room on the 40 man and with his having no options left.

Edited by Angel Oracle

8 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

He has no options, whereas Suarez has 1 left, Sandoval has 2, and Canning has 3. Detmers and C-Rod have plenty.

He's the odd-man out, unless Minasian sees something there as a reliever, but even then he still has 0 options so more than likely he'll be traded.

Yep, plus whatever this is with his shoulder.  But as I have said in the past, I hate the idea of him having no options, so he starts out in the pen.  Then we need him to start, but we can’t stretch him out in the minors (gross).  So basically it becomes a bullpen game for a couple of games, and by then the person he replaces probably comes back from the IL.