• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels closer Raisel Iglesias wants to stay, but can the team afford him?

AngelsWin.com

15 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

How much of his own money AFTER revenues are subtracted?

Why would you do that?  He is the one who paid cash out of his pocket to buy the team.  He didn’t do it to lose money.  The owner of the A’s has more money than Arte, yet pinches pennies and trades his players instead of paying them.  

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Why would you do that?  He is the one who paid cash out of his pocket to buy the team.  He didn’t do it to lose money.  The owner of the A’s has more money than Arte, yet pinches pennies and trades his players instead of paying them.  

He pinches pennies at the MLB level but is he doing that everywhere else? My guess is no, since the A's always pull a 90+ win season out of their asses with fuck all for payroll.

He's a smarter businessman than Arte.

5 hours ago, ukyah said:

why though? he's not going to take the QO. he'd be a fool to.

I’m not so sure he doesn’t take it.  It’s a closer getting $19 million for a year.  If he’s good to great next year he will still get a three year deal worth $36-50 million. 

13 hours ago, Stradling said:

Then they should have been smart enough to trade him away.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I guess we will see. 

This should be the motto for the entire offseason. 

Nobody has any real clue what to think and if they think they do.. lol...  Minasian's past experiences mean diddly squat. The Angels past failures mean shit. Eppler, Dipoto, Reagins, Stoneman, Rigney.... None of them matter.  Arte will once again have the biggest impact on what they or cannot do, hopefully Perry has the autonomy and checkbook to work.

This may be their most important off-season since 1999 and it's anyone's guess what they will do.

19 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Angels TV deal is 120 mil minimum.  National TV deal nets them another 70-90 mil. 

Not a bad starting point.

Plus appreciation (minus inflation) Arte has so clearly made a huge profit.  And as others have pointed out, sometimes spending money  will make you money.  It’s called profit I think.  Arte is so far ahead on the profit game he could put Ohtani on a separate budget, go over the  “luxury tax” and make even more money.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

I’m not so sure he doesn’t take it.  It’s a closer getting $19 million for a year.  If he’s good to great next year he will still get a three year deal worth $36-50 million. 

I would be surprised if he did....he's on the wrong side of 30 and relievers, more generally, are pretty mercurial....he might not be as good next year....I think you take 36-50 in a 3 year deal over 19 in a one year deal...but he might want to roll the dice that he can have another good year....

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

This should be the motto for the entire offseason. 

Nobody has any real clue what to think and if they think they do.. lol...  Minasian's past experiences mean diddly squat. The Angels past failures mean shit. Eppler, Dipoto, Reagins, Stoneman, Rigney.... None of them matter.  Arte will once again have the biggest impact on what they or cannot do, hopefully Perry has the autonomy and checkbook to work.

This may be their most important off-season since 1999 and it's anyone's guess what they will do.

Ah yes.  The offseason which started the new MOllennium as they called it.  

49 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Ah yes.  The offseason which started the new MOllennium as they called it.  

Mo was signed in 98...  The 99 offseason was the one where the team was a tattered mess after the clubhouse revolted, both Basvasi and Collins bolted, the farm system had two players in the entire system under age 20, and they were ranked by Baseball America as the WORST organization in MLB.

I may be on a bit of a rant but when your considering what to offer Ohtani in the future how much revenue he generated in the past should be a factor as a “home grown player.”  Not as a FA.  This guy signed with us for much less than he could make in Japan, just go to him and say what is it going to take for you to stay and he says two more ace SP then I think you do that.

unless your girlfriend calls and then all bets are off

If you do not sign him shows Ohtani and Trout direction team is going in. The same as last 6 years. Maybe trade Ohtani as his value will never be higher. 

They need the Iglesias of this season. But will he sustain that level for three or more years? Probably. 

Still throwing in the high nineties with  great separation in velocity with his off speed pitches. He was very consistent the last two thirds or so of the season. Age shouldn't be a factor yet. Many relievers are effective into their mid thirties. He has a ton of movement on his pitches and could compensate if he loses a little velocity. He's a veteran and used to high leverage situations. An elite closer is a key piece of a contending team. 

The money has to be found one way or another, but nothing crazy, past $ 55 - 58 million or so for three years. It does send a message to Trout, Ohtani and everyone that winning is the top priority.

Trading Ohtani? Fun speculation, but unlikely. Remember Babe Ruth wasn't traded, but sold. Harry Frazee of the Red Sox needed cash to finance a Broadway play, No No Nanette. How'd that work out? Lucky that Arte isn't cash strapped or has entertainment ventures going. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Mo was signed in 98...  The 99 offseason was the one where the team was a tattered mess after the clubhouse revolted, both Basvasi and Collins bolted, the farm system had two players in the entire system under age 20, and they were ranked by Baseball America as the WORST organization in MLB.

ROrtiz, BMolina and Jarrod Washburn came up in 98/99 so there was some talent in the minors, but not much....

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

ROrtiz, BMolina and Jarrod Washburn came up in 98/99 so there was some talent in the minors, but not much....

Bengie Molina had actually been DFA'd by Bavasi at the end of 99 -- he deemed him unworthy of keeping.   Stoneman rushed to get him back.

The Angels top 10 entering the 00 season was pretty bleak
1 Ortiz
2 Frankie -- he was one of the two guys under 20 in the system
3 Etherton
4 Derrick Turnbow (Stoneman picked him in in the Rule 5 draft that winter.
5 Nathan Haynes
6 Eplidio Guzman
7 the carcass of what had been Mike Colangelo (thanks again Terry!)
8 Brian Cooper
9 Jeff DaVanon (trade piece 99 deadline)
10 Alfredo Amezaga (drafted one pick BEFORE Albert Pujols in the 13th round of the 99 draft)

I cant remember a time in the Angels history where a Rule V draft guy ended up making the team's preseason top 10, much less being in the top 4 or when a 13th round pick 401st overall from the previous draft ranked as high as 10th overall.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Bengie Molina had actually been DFA'd by Bavasi at the end of 99 -- he deemed him unworthy of keeping.   Stoneman rushed to get him back.

1 Ortiz
3 Etherton
5 Nathan Haynes
6 Eplidio Guzman
8 Brian Cooper
10 Alfredo Amezaga (drafted one pick BEFORE Albert Pujols in the 13th round of the 99 draft)

I cant remember a time in the Angels history where a Rule V draft guy ended up making the team's preseason top 10, much less being in the top 4 or when a 13th round pick 401st overall from the previous draft ranked as high as 10th overall.

Yikes.  I think we’re better off now.

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

1 Ortiz
3 Etherton
5 Nathan Haynes
6 Eplidio Guzman
8 Brian Cooper

I remember being pretty excited about cooper and etherton.... daydreaming we could finish a respectable 3rd with those guys.