• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels closer Raisel Iglesias wants to stay, but can the team afford him?

AngelsWin.com

ARLINGTON, Texas — The Angels certainly got all they could have asked from Raisel Iglesias in 2021. Now they’ll have to wrestle with the question of what it’s worth to keep him in 2022 and beyond.

Iglesias was so good during his only season with the Angels that he is set to reach free agency in November as the preeminent reliever on the market, which likely also means he’ll be the most expensive.

Relievers are notoriously the group whose performance is most difficult to predict from year to year, which is why many clubs are reluctant to give them big contracts.

Angels general manager Perry Minasian will get to deal with the question of Iglesias’ value before any other GM, because the Angels will have an exclusive negotiating window with Iglesias until a few days after the end of the World Series.

Minasian has refused to comment on whether the Angels have talked to Iglesias’ agent yet, citing a blanket policy against discussing negotiations.

The Angels also could make Iglesias a qualifying offer, which is likely to be something around $19 million. That would have been out of the question for a reliever if Iglesias didn’t have the season he had. But last year’s top reliever on the market, Liam Hendriks, ended up signing a three-year deal with an average annual value of $18 million. Iglesias made $9.125 million in 2021.

If the Angels make Iglesias a qualifying offer, he could accept it and be signed for that number for one year, while still being free to negotiate a multi-year deal later. If he rejected it, the Angels would get a draft pick if he signs elsewhere, and they also could continue to negotiate with him.

While there are plenty of questions about what will happen with Iglesias, the 31-year-old right-hander was clear that he wants to come back to the Angels.

“One of the main priorities going into the offseason, going into free agency, is hopefully re-signing with this team,” Iglesias said through an interpreter. “I like it here, but obviously whatever the future and destiny has will dictate everything.”

Iglesias added that he isn’t sure if the Angels have had any talks with his agent, but he’s hoping to hear from them before going on the open market.

“My main priority is listening first and foremost to what the Angels have to offer me,” he said. “That’s my No. 1 right now. If nothing gets settled and I don’t sign, I am excited to hear what other teams have to offer.”

The offers should be in the neighborhood of what Hendriks received last year. Hendriks was slightly better in the years immediately leading into free agency, but Iglesias has a longer track record. A contract of that size could be a tight squeeze for an Angels team that also has significant needs in the rotation.

Iglesias put himself in position for that kind of payday by having arguably the best year of any reliever in the American League.

Iglesias posted a 2.65 ERA and he saved 33 games. He suffered five blown saves, but the Angels still won three of those games. Iglesias also proved to be exceptionally durable, with eight saves of four outs or more. Even though the Angels stopped using him in those situations in the final month to preserve his arm, he was still second in the majors in that category.

Iglesias also had allowed fewer than one baserunner per inning, allowing 51 hits and 12 walks in 68 innings. He struck out 101.

Over the past five years, Iglesias has a 2.88 ERA and he’s been successful in 88% of his save opportunities, which also helps set him up for a nice payday this winter.

“I feel good,” Iglesias said. “I feel really happy. I feel good about myself individually. We didn’t reach our goal of making the playoffs, but I feel really good about finally completing the last year of my seven-year deal that I had originally signed.”

NOTES

The Angels activated catcher Matt Thaiss, who had been with the team on the taxi squad for about a week. Thaiss was a catcher in college, but when the Angels drafted him they moved him to first base. He only returned to catching this season, but Manager Joe Maddon said now they view him as a full-time catcher. …

Right-hander Janson Junk was optioned to make room for Thaiss. Junk pitched Wednesday night, so he would not have been available to pitch for the Angels for the remaining four games. …

José Suarez and Jhonathan Diaz will pitch for the Angels on Friday and Saturday in Seattle. The Angels are still undecided on Sunday’s pitcher, but Reid Detmers is a possibility. That would have been Shohei Ohtani’s turn, but the Angels and Ohtani decided there was no benefit in him making one more start, so he will only hit during the final games of the season.

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP José Suarez, 7-8, 3.86 ERA) at Mariners (LHP Marco Gonzales, 10-5, 4.00), 7:20 p.m. Friday, Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

Just now, Stradling said:

I only offer a QO if Arte is willing to expand his budget. 

funny.  I was just about to post something similar.  That we might know early about the budget by what they do with him.  Because if they hold to the level they've been at over the last few years then I don't seem the team offering a QO.  I think he'll get QO level money from someone.  I just don't think it will be the halos and I really don't think he'll get that QO from them.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

funny.  I was just about to post something similar.  That we might know early about the budget by what they do with him.  Because if they hold to the level they've been at over the last few years then I don't seem the team offering a QO.  I think he'll get QO level money from someone.  I just don't think it will be the halos and I really don't think he'll get that QO from them.  

You think he'll get $19 million a year?

To what degree do you guys think the Angels being shitty in the bullpen is garbage arms vs. the Angels suck at planning for the other teams ? I just sort of wonder how is it possible that they can’t even accidentally run into guys that aren’t worthless.  I guess it’s a little bit of both kind of thing.  Anyway.  Keep Raisal around or don’t.  Whatever.  They obviously need him but it doesn’t matter if they don’t do the other shit they need to get straightened out. 

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Remember that Moreno bought the Halos with cash.   He has no debt there.

How is it going to hurt him to increase the budget by $10 million for a year.  Upton comes off payroll in a year.

Again, sometimes you have to use a little of your own money, when it could help get it back and then some (post-season play).

Literally every dollar he spends is his own money.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Last I saw it was on the market for $630k. 

I used to process mortgage loans. Out here, today, something like that would be unheard of. There's some lakefront properties worth that (or more), sure, but the vast majority are in the $110-200 thousand range. 

There's a town about 50 minutes north of me. It's kind of an iffy town. There's a state prison there. Properties actually average UNDER 100k. Hell some were in the 50k range, and this wasn't that long ago.

Things have changed a bit recently but $129 thousand wasn't anywhere near the low end (gross).