• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Angels go big on a free agent shortstop?

mmc

Should the Angels go big on a free agent shortstop?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Angels go big on a free agent shortstop?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if it's a certain player (say who in your reply)

Really curious to see how this board is split on what would be one of most controversial offseason routes this team could take.  We all know Arte's desire to spend big on the hitters he covets so if he is particularly high on any of these players, there's no question in my mind that he signs off on shooting them a massive offer, one that could potentially outbid other pursuers.  And while the need for pitching is obvious, it's hard to argue adding another star bat (and defender?) wouldn't improve both the roster and our playoff hopes dramatically entering in the 2022 season.  

So do you see this as a route we should take or should we go with another cheap add like Iglesias and save all of the big spending for pitching?

7 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

No because the SS contract shouldn't be for more that 2yrs+club option so that they can bring in Arol/Vera.  That precludes the big names.  Trade for mid-tier defense first SS and use the money on a TOR starter and closer.

if you think Arol Vera will be a starting caliber shortstop in the majors within the next 2-3 years, you're getting your hopes up

22 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I was hoping for Semian last year.  Now he'll probably be over priced.  

Both Seager and Correa are injury risks.  Seager is Boras and Correa is with WME which is where Eppler's at now.  

Eppler is part of Correa's agency? Well, he's 100% going to the Yankees.

12 minutes ago, Trendon said:

if you think Arol Vera will be a starting caliber shortstop in the majors within the next 2-3 years, you're getting your hopes up

Meant Paris/Vera.

Maybe so, just thinking that a top tier SS doesn't fit the immediate needs and budget of this team.  They do need an excellent glove there and if that defender has a middling bat but allows for spending on pitching, thats the way to go.  

9 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

Meant Paris/Vera.

Maybe so, just thinking that a top tier SS doesn't fit the immediate needs and budget of this team.  They do need an excellent glove there and if that defender has a middling bat but allows for spending on pitching, thats the way to go.  

Paris is likely a year ahead of Vera.

Paris - ST 2024

Vera - ST 2025

Vera at 3B

No to any of the big money SS’s

With the track record this team has with FA position players?  No thank you 

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Let it not be Rengifo at SS.

I think Rengifo may surprise everyone with a full year at the position. He is going to need to hit winter ball hard to polish some of the infield skills but like Adell last year, the player you don't like today may be a completely different conversation next season. 

28 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I think Rengifo may surprise everyone with a full year at the position. He is going to need to hit winter ball hard to polish some of the infield skills but like Adell last year, the player you don't like today may be a completely different conversation next season. 

i don't think i agree with your optimism, but i do agree with the second portion of your statement.

I didn't make a choice. I'd love a big shortstop but really the team doesn't need one. The focus needs to be getting at least two reliable starters. If getting a shortstop prevents that or even re-signing Raisel, I'd say no. If the Angels can somehow get all four, which is a big if, it would be fine with me. The bottom line is we need Raisel or a legit stopper and two starters. Everything else is gravy.