• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Just curious - what is going right with this org?

Another losing season

Ohtani talking about wanting to win raising red flags

Trout out for almost the whole season 

They didn’t trade the closer who will walk anyway.  

Upton is more dead weight in ‘22

We even managed to fuck up our announcing team. 

Are we back to, at least Arte lowered beer prices? 

16 minutes ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

Another losing season

Ohtani talking about wanting to win raising red flags

Trout out for almost the whole season 

They didn’t trade the closer who will walk anyway.  

Upton is more dead weight in ‘22

We even managed to fuck up our announcing team. 

Are we back to, at least Arte lowered beer prices? 

The fans. The fans on are clearly an optimistic group th...

Nevermind 

There is a lot going right. We have the two best baseball players on the planet. A market that can support a high payroll. And a good young core of Walsh, Adell and Marsh on the position player side of things, and Rodriguez, Suarez, Sandoval, Canning and Detmers on the pitching side. This is a excellent foundation to start with. 

4 minutes ago, wopphil said:

There is a lot going right. We have the two best baseball players on the planet. A market that can support a high payroll. And a good young core of Walsh, Adell and Marsh on the position player side of things, and Rodriguez, Suarez, Sandoval, Canning and Detmers on the pitching side. This is a excellent foundation to start with. 

I agree with this.  I’m hoping Warren is as good as he’s pitched in the majors this year. 

As a fan there is a lot to be disappointed with as it relates to the results.  Things that are going well, we have Ohtani and Trout.  I believe Rendon will be great once again when he is recovered from surgery.  If you aren’t encouraged by what Marsh, Adell, Walsh, Sandoval and Suarez did this year, then I am not really sure what to say.  Additionally Rodriguez and Detmers will help in the coming years. 

4 hours ago, Taylor said:

Adell showing clear signs of improvement from his last MLB stint. Marsh getting into a groove and contributing.

Young SPs who (when they're not getting injured or COVID) have had flashes of brilliance.

Is this the full list?

56 minutes ago, Stradling said:

As a fan there is a lot to be disappointed with as it relates to the results.  Things that are going well, we have Ohtani and Trout.  I believe Rendon will be great once again when he is recovered from surgery.  If you aren’t encouraged by what Marsh, Adell, Walsh, Sandoval and Suarez did this year, then I am not really sure what to say.  Additionally Rodriguez and Detmers will help in the coming years. 

And Bachman.  Perhaps we will see him in a limited reliever role as early as the latter part of next season. 

An enormous part of our collective disappointment this year is due to a horrendous spate of injuries, which of course begs the question of depth.  The farm, while not top-tier with difference makers, is mid-tier, has not been depleted by the first-year GM, and will have 19-20 new drafted pitching prospects to develop. 

The Angels ability to develop players is a huge question mark and in my view will be a big factor in grading Minasian's overall success, as well as his ability to identify quality 1-year contract arms to bridge the pitching staff until the farm starts producing in sufficient numbers and quality.  We still don't really know, still in his first year, how astute Minasian is in terms of building the entire organization, from scouting, development and selecting affordable free agent arms, but there are some indicators that he is competent.

Lastly, with all of Arte's faults, we don't know what he will do in terms of payroll (exceeding the internal budget cap) until the team has evidenced themselves as more than just a plausible playoff contender.  In 2022, if the team's impact players are relatively injury free, and Minasian does his part in getting quality arms and filling in the roster, they should be in a better position than they were in the beginning of 2021 to contend for a wild-card spot.   Then 2023 looks even more promising with JUp's contract gone and a plenitude of controlled arms.  It all depends on health and Minasians whole-of-organization improvements.

The only player still on the roster from 5 years ago is Mike Trout. They went through a complete roster turnover since then and the only other players since then is Ohtani, Upton and Fletcher. Every position has turned over once, twice, three times. 

2022 they only have the Shortstop position to consider filling. This is the first time in five years they did not have multiple positions to fill in the infield and outfield. That is one of the things the Angels are doing right.

They have been drafting better players that have moved up quicker, especially when it comes to pitching that is going to stabilize that extreme weak spot in the organization.

The core from three years ago that were supposed to hold down the top four rotation spots is down to Ohtani. Between released, traded away and one accidental suicide, that entire group of pitchers that could never seem to get off the IL are gone. Having a new core without all of that baggage should stabilize the rotation. They don't all have to be ohtani good but they do have to show up and log 6 innings. I think there are several that will do just that.

Instead of having to fill 5 position spots and 4 rotation spots with 4 more relievers, the Angels now need to fill SS (maybe not if they commit to Rengifo) a backup catcher, and realistically one starting pitchers spot and 3 bullpen arms (a closer and two setup arms). They have a closer they could offer a 3 year extension and that would make the other three acquisitions easier to fill. 

I guess the point is that what the Angels did for 5 years is build the minors and parent roster patiently enough that they don't have to make desperation moves to be competitive. That they did well and since it moved to this point so slowly most of the fans, myself included, are tired of waiting for the completed team. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Another positive is that Maddon should be gone after next season. 

My attempts to research how to objectively evaluate manager performance is largely unsuccessful.  Even Fangraphs doesn't seem to have a handle on it.  Some factors are not quantifiable, such as managing egos, chemistry and motivation over the long haul.  What little (old) evaluation I've found puts him in the middle of the pack in bullpen usage and Dave Roberts near the bottom.  I doubt that a different manager would have led to more many more wins this year being that they had very little available talent due to injuries and the poor performance of releivers not named Iglesias.  Also it is an unknown how another manager would have allowed or hindered Ohtani's historic season.  Not real helpful but the Angels Pythagorean expectation is .443 and their record is .474.