• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Mike Trout felt ‘relieved’ after deciding to end his 2021 comeback

AngelsWin.com

ANAHEIM ― Earlier this month, Mike Trout decided it was time. He was ending his quest to play baseball again in 2021. He had been out of action for too long since straining his right calf muscle in May, and there was not enough time left on the calendar to start a proper minor league rehabilitation assignment. So he rested.

A week or two later, Trout started working out again.

“I felt great,” he said. “I don’t feel (the calf injury) at all. The doctors say it should be fully healed.”

It wasn’t the happy, forward-looking note Trout wanted to end the 2021 season on, but it will have to do. By returning to full health ― albeit too late to help the Angels ― he can get a head start on his off-season training regimen with an eye on spring training in 2022.

In his first interview since making the decision to shut down his 2021 comeback, Trout didn’t spend too long indulging various what-ifs Saturday afternoon. He conceded the Angels’ place in the standings made the decision easier. He also acknowledged the risk he faced by coming back prematurely.

“I think if I’d have gone out there, I would’ve been playing a game, two games, have off,” he said. “It would’ve been tough for me. The smarter thing for me is to have a full healthy off-season.”

Trout said there were times this summer when he targeted a specific date for the beginning of a minor league rehab assignment. But when he went through his workout the day before, his body didn’t respond well enough. Trout had to set a new target date with the Angels’ training staff.

That merely added to his frustration ― a mental hurdle to complement the physical ailment.

“If I’d have gone out there and something else happened because I’d have been favoring (his right calf), that would’ve been really frustrating,” Trout said. “Once we made that decision as a group, it put my head where it needed to be. It relieved me a bit, because I was putting so much pressure on myself to go out there. Now I’m in a good place. I’m looking forward to a healthy off-season, looking forward to next year.”

Trout had eight home runs, 18 RBIs and a .333 batting average in 36 games at the time of his injury. Only five Angels entered play Saturday with more home runs this season.

OHTANI UNLEASHED

Shohei Ohtani has a green light to steal a base “almost 100 percent of the time,” Manager Joe Maddon said. Now that he’s drawing walks at an unprecedented rate, Ohtani figures to add to his total of 24 steals this season.

Ohtani drew 11 walks in a three-game span from Wednesday through Friday, tying a record set by Bryce Harper in 2016. He stole one base during the three games.

“It’s just a matter of the pitcher’s rating,” Maddon said. “(Friday) night we had some different opportunities. We were trying. But yeah, if they’re going to walk him, let’s take advantage of his speed.”

Maddon confirmed that Ohtani will hit for himself when he pitches Sunday against Seattle.

UP NEXT

Angels RHP Shohei Ohtani (9-2, 3.28 ERA) vs. Seattle LHP Marco Gonzales (9-5, 4.14 ERA), 1:07 p.m. Sunday, Bally Sports West

View the full article

Gee, I hope his "off-season training regimen" doesn't include pushing 400-pound truck tires around while grimacing from the extreme strain. He doesn't need that crap. Just ask Ohtani what he does, and follow that routine. All we need is for him to re-injure the calf or tear an Achilles in the gym and be out for another year or two. Just stop it! 

7 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Gee, I hope his "off-season training regimen" doesn't include pushing 400-pound truck tires around while grimacing from the extreme strain. He doesn't need that crap. Just ask Ohtani what he does, and follow that routine. All we need is for him to re-injure the calf or tear an Achilles in the gym and be out for another year or two. Just stop it! 

I agree

39586BC4-F13A-45F4-AC49-8AE9C0534071.webp