• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

One person familiar with the team’s thinking: "[The Angels] next season, would prefer to spend most of their financial resources on pitching and perhaps scrimp a bit at shortstop."

BTH

16 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'd love Scherzer to sign here--but in all honesty, why would he if he has offers from the Dodgers or other teams?

Why wouldn't he want to sign here, if we present the best offer?  Scherzer can see, he sees what Ohtani does every night, he already knows what a healthy Mike Trout can do, and Anthony Rendon, his former teammate.  

I would offer an open ended contract, one where he can pitch for as many seasons as he wants, and when that is done, Max would become a consultant-pitching coach coordinator, a teacher to all our future arms. 

1 minute ago, AngelStew43 said:

Why wouldn't he want to sign here, if we present the best offer?  Scherzer can see, he sees what Ohtani does every night, he already knows what a healthy Mike Trout can do, and Anthony Rendon, his former teammate.  

I would offer an open ended contract, one where he can pitch for as many seasons as he wants, and when that is done, Max would become a consultant-pitching coach coordinator, a teacher to all our future arms. 

How do you know he has any interest in being a "consultant pitching coach coordinator" (whatever that is...)?  Scherzer has made $221M so far in his career.  The difference between an Angels offer and one from the Dodgers (or any other contender) will likely be relatively minimal in the grand scheme of things (e.g., is a 3-year, $120M offer from the Angels really going to win out over a 3-year, $100M offer from the Dodgers, etc.?  Probably not...). 

And people can say all they want about what a healthy Trout can do, what Ohtani can do, what a healthy Rendon can do, etc.--but the reality is, the Angels haven't been a consistent winning team in a decade.  And that probably matters a lot to veterans looking for their last contract.  COULD the Angels make the playoffs next year, if everyone is healthy and they sign Scherzer and another solid SP?  Sure.  It is LIKELY that all of those things happen?  Probably not. 

I am genuinely trying to find a way to be optimistic heading into the off-season, but it is very hard for me to do so.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

How do you know he has any interest in being a "consultant pitching coach coordinator" (whatever that is...)?  Scherzer has made $221M so far in his career.  The difference between an Angels offer and one from the Dodgers (or any other contender) will likely be relatively minimal in the grand scheme of things (e.g., is a 3-year, $120M offer from the Angels really going to win out over a 3-year, $100M offer from the Dodgers, etc.?  Probably not...). 

And people can say all they want about what a healthy Trout can do, what Ohtani can do, what a healthy Rendon can do, etc.--but the reality is, the Angels haven't been a consistent winning team in a decade.  And that probably matters a lot to veterans looking for their last contract.  COULD the Angels make the playoffs next year, if everyone is healthy and they sign Scherzer and another solid SP?  Sure.  It is LIKELY that all of those things happen?  Probably not. 

I am genuinely trying to find a way to be optimistic heading into the off-season, but it is very hard for me to do so.

So what you’re saying is this team is toast and we should trade away all valuable assets and rebuild? 

We say this every year, no great player will want to sign with this team. That’s obviously not the case. Whoever offers more money is where Scherzer will go. Period. We will probably offer the most. I think we are in desperate mode. We will give him a huge overpay.

My top priority would be to get Rodon though. If we can get Scherzer and Rodon, re-sign Iglesias and get someone like Ottavino and another proven RP I think this team will take the division IF we can just stay relatively healthy.

2 minutes ago, Bronson said:

So what you’re saying is this team is toast and we should trade away all valuable assets and rebuild? 

We say this every year, no great player will want to sign with this team. That’s obviously not the case. Whoever offers more money is where Scherzer will go. Period. We will probably offer the most. I think we are in desperate mode. We will give him a huge overpay.

My top priority would be to get Rodon though. If we can get Scherzer and Rodon, re-sign Iglesias and get someone like Ottavino and another proven RP I think this team will take the division IF we can just stay relatively healthy.

That's not what I said at all, but ok.

And I don't think Scherzer will base his decision solely on the $$$.  Maybe I'm wrong, but, again, at this stage of his career, I don't see him signing with a team with questionable World Series hopes just for an extra $10M or so.

32 minutes ago, ScottSted said:

I was not expecting Jon Gray's splits to look like that. Thought he might've been a decent fit.

I'm not thrilled about Scherzer. I think if we can get a good defensive SS, Stroman is the way to go. Syndergaard is a decent gamble too. 

Yeah of course we shouldn’t get the dude who’s been dominating for basically a decade and is showing no signs of slowing down. It worked so horribly for the Astros with Verlander. 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

That's not what I said at all, but ok.

And I don't think Scherzer will base his decision solely on the $$$.  Maybe I'm wrong, but, again, at this stage of his career, I don't see him signing with a team with questionable World Series hopes just for an extra $10M or so.

Well you said there’s nothing optimistic to look forward to this offseason… if that’s the case might as well just rebuild right?? 

And Scherzer has won his WS already. I feel like he’s trying to cement his legacy now. Sticking with the Dodgers is the safe choice. Going to a team like the Angels and winning a World Series with Trout and Ohtani would probably be way more rewarding for a player. 

Hes won all the awards he can at this point. I could totally see him going to a fringe team like the Angels and try to add another chapter to his legacy because him winning a World Series with the Dodgers will not do that. They have a good chance to win with or without him. 

Again, very well he could choose the Dodgers but I just see Scherzer thinking differently. Angels are going to come at him hard. I think Arte will do anything in his power to get him. 

1 minute ago, Bronson said:

Well you said there’s nothing optimistic to look forward to this offseason… if that’s the case might as well just rebuild right?? 

And Scherzer has won his WS already. I feel like he’s trying to cement his legacy now. Sticking with the Dodgers is the safe choice. Going to a team like the Angels and winning a World Series with Trout and Ohtani would probably be way more rewarding for a player. 

Hes won all the awards he can at this point. I could totally see him going to a fringe team like the Angels and try to add another chapter to his legacy because him winning a World Series with the Dodgers will not do that. They have a good chance to win with or without him. 

Again, very well he could choose the Dodgers but I just see Scherzer thinking differently. Angels are going to come at him hard. I think Arte will do anything in his power to get him. 

No, that's not what I said.  I said it's hard for me to be optimistic.  That's not the same as "there's nothing optimistic."  You're making a wild leap to "rebuild," which I in no way said.

I think you're on the wrong track with Scherzer, but I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, Bronson said:

Yeah of course we shouldn’t get the dude who’s been dominating for basically a decade and is showing no signs of slowing down. It worked so horribly for the Astros with Verlander. 

They've spent $66,000,000 for Verlander to throw 73 pitches in the last 2 years. 

On 9/25/2021 at 2:26 PM, stormngt said:

It really be nice if we focus on realistic opportunities. 

Iglesias,  Cobb, plus one other starter is all we can afford.  In fact it might just be slightly over budget.

We can't sign two front line starters on top of Iglesias and Cobb..

Iglesias, Cobb a TOP FA and a Trade and I'm good.

Some of these guys look like they have turned the corner! And that's a good thing Saurez, Sandavol, CROD add in even Detmers, Junk and Naughton will be fine! This group doesn't even include Canning... Overall, I'm optimistic about the future staff. We just need another Workhorse to add to the front let the kids share the 5/6th spots! 

1 hour ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Iglesias, Cobb a TOP FA and a Trade and I'm good.

Some of these guys look like they have turned the corner! And that's a good thing Saurez, Sandavol, CROD add in even Detmers, Junk and Naughton will be fine! This group doesn't even include Canning... Overall, I'm optimistic about the future staff. We just need another Workhorse to add to the front let the kids share the 5/6th spots! 

Send Canning to the pen, not enough durability.   I’m not even bothering to include him in the rotation.   Fools gold

21 minutes ago, ettin said:

Love you AO, but @Lou bookmark this one, please.

Just concerned because it goes back to college.

Since debuting in pro ball in April 2018, he’s only pitched 285 innings across the 3 full seasons (2018, 2019, 2021) in the minors and majors.

The stuff is certainly there.  I just don’t think the durability is.  Hope I’m wrong.

13 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Since debuting in pro ball in April 2018, he’s only pitched 285 innings across the 3 full seasons (2018, 2019, 2021) in the minors and majors.

The stuff is certainly there.  I just don’t think the durability is.  Hope I’m wrong.

It doesn’t go back to college.  His injury is in his back.  In college it was in his arm.  And of course he didn’t pitch a lot of innings in his first two big league seasons.  You have been championing the Angels to pitch Ohtani less.  Why wouldn’t you be ok with them easing an even younger pitcher into the bigs?

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

50 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It doesn’t go back to college.  His injury is in his back.  In college it was in his arm.  And of course he didn’t pitch a lot of innings in his first two big league seasons.  You have been championing the Angels to pitch Ohtani less.  Why wouldn’t you be ok with them easing an even younger pitcher into the bigs?

Also do not forget that the Angels purposely shut him down when they drafted him in order to give his arm rest (I didn't want to say "give his arm a break"). The point I am emphasizing is that he has a good pitch mix and is quite capable of being a mid-rotation starter for us. Time will tell the tale, though, so I get where you might be concerned AO, I just think we have to see more before we start becoming concerned about anything yet.

26 minutes ago, ettin said:

Also do not forget that the Angels purposely shut him down when they drafted him in order to give his arm rest (I didn't want to say "give his arm a break"). The point I am emphasizing is that he has a good pitch mix and is quite capable of being a mid-rotation starter for us. Time will tell the tale, though, so I get where you might be concerned AO, I just think we have to see more before we start becoming concerned about anything yet.

Ok, that’s fair enough.  The stuff is there, though the delivery does seem a little high maintenance?