• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

One person familiar with the team’s thinking: "[The Angels] next season, would prefer to spend most of their financial resources on pitching and perhaps scrimp a bit at shortstop."

BTH

Chuck
This post was recognized by Chuck!

BTH was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 5 points.

1234470197.0.jpg

Interesting insight from Mike DiGiovanna in the LA Times: https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2021-09-22/its-no-fun-angels-manager-joe-maddon-talks-personnel-another-lost-season

"The Angels plan to be aggressive in their pursuit of starting pitchers this winter"

"Maddon said he believes the Angels need not one but two front-line starters"

"One person familiar with the team’s thinking said the Angels, who have $111 million committed to five players — Mike Trout, Anthony Rendon, Justin Upton, Ohtani and David Fletcher — next season, would prefer to spend most of their financial resources on pitching and perhaps scrimp a bit at shortstop.

They’re banking on the returns of Trout, Rendon and Upton from injuries to bolster the offense."

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

Ladies and Gentlemen.....starting at SS for the 2022 Angels....Luis Rengifo....as soon as he makes his bond in Venezuela.....

I would be totally fine with Rengifo and Mayfield serving as SS and UT IF if it meant the Angels re-signed Iglesias and added two SP who were at least #2-3 types. 

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

2 frontline starters? Scherzer and who else? Kershaw, Greinke? all old guys..... 

But damn I'd love to see Arte whip it out and pay bank for some frontline starters......

Get Scherzer, re-sign Iglesias and Cobb then get another ace and this club would be legit scary to watch...

Honestly, if they did Scherzer, Iglesias, and any of the second-tier arms and pretty much stopped there I think they'd be set. 
They could fill out the roster needs (RP, C, maybe UT IF, 4th OF) with $1m-$3m types and I'd be happy.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Honestly, if they did Scherzer, Iglesias, and any of the second-tier arms and pretty much stopped there I think they'd be set. 
They could fill out the roster needs (RP, C, maybe UT IF, 4th OF) with $1m-$3m types and I'd be happy.

Im down for that. If they are serious about 2 front line starters then Arte has to open up the money vault. (which we all want to see)

28 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

2 frontline starters? Scherzer and who else? Kershaw, Greinke? all old guys..... 

But damn I'd love to see Arte whip it out and pay bank for some frontline starters......

Get Scherzer, re-sign Iglesias and Cobb then get another ace and this club would be legit scary to watch...

Maybe you sign 1 frontline starter, trade one of Adell/Marsh in a trade for another frontline starter, and sign an outfielder to replace whichever of Adell/Marsh you trade.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

Maybe you sign 1 frontline starter, trade one of Adell/Marsh in a trade for another frontline starter, and sign an outfielder to replace whichever of Adell/Marsh you trade.

Very true, though Upton's sever decline has me worried about trading one of Adell/Marsh. 

Maybe Arte says "F-it" and literally signs 2 frontline guys. Only time will tell but i'll remain pessimistic about their plans....

15 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Not against that either. The only hold-up is which frontline SP winds up actually being available, and what else the cost will entail. 

Not the best FA OF class either. I do like the versatility Mark Canha or Chris Taylor could bring to the club though...

14 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I'm not trading Adell or Marsh right now. I believe we have something special there with Trout. Also Upton needs to be hitting benchth. I'm done with that guy.

We could sign an outfielder, but who? We'd just get another Jon Jay or whatever the fuck because muh clubhouse guyz.

Arte needs to pay his way out of this. We have the pitching depth now, we just need to load up the front.

14 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Very true, though Upton's sever decline has me worried about trading one of Adell/Marsh. 

That's why I suggested signing a free agent outfielder in conjunction with trading one of Adell/Marsh. That way, Upton remains the 4th outfielder. You'd have an outfield of Adell/Marsh, Trout, and FA OF.

Just now, tdawg87 said:

I'm not trading Adell or Marsh right now. I believe we have something special there with Trout. Also Upton needs to be hitting benchth. I'm done with that guy.

We could sign an outfielder, but who?

Arte needs to pay his way out of this. We have the pitching depth now, we just need to load up the front.

I get not wanting to trade Adell or Marsh. I wouldn't want to either. But it might be the only realistic way to get 2 front line starters, since it's hard enough to see Arte bring in 1 front line starter (yet alone 2).

There are outfield options out there: Canha, Conforto, Duvall, Avi Garcia, Pham, Rosario, Soler, and Chris Taylor among them.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Not against that either. The only hold-up is which frontline SP winds up actually being available, and what else the cost will entail. 

Not the best FA OF class either. I do like the versatility Mark Canha or Chris Taylor could bring to the club though...

A lot of the FA outfielders have had down years, which might present an opportunity to buy low on someone. Whether it's Pederson, Rosario, Pham, or someone else.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

I get not wanting to trade Adell or Marsh. I wouldn't want to either. But it might be the only realistic way to get 2 front line starters, since it's hard enough to see Arte bring in 1 front line starter (yet alone 2).

There are outfield options out there: Canha, Conforto, Duvall, Avi Garcia, Pham, Rosario, Soler, and Chris Taylor among them.

I think we have a young core right now (including Ohtani) that is the foundation of a contending team. 

We just need the pitching to be fucking loaded the fuck up. 

I understand that we might not be able to get 2 "frontline" starters with just money, but I think that's a pipe dream anyway. 

But, who knows? Maybe a pitcher will be available that is worth the cost. 

2 minutes ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

Who would be a good SS for us next year? Seagar and Correa have injury issues, Baez strikes out all the time, Story isn’t great outside of Coors, Simmons isn’t an option here, Iglesias was bad. Is there anyone else? 

Beyond those guys, you're looking at a Jonathan Villar or a Freddy Galvis if you're not going to pony up some serious cash:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/2021-22-mlb-free-agents.html

I personally still think Semien could be an interesting option, but he'll cost $20M+ a year.

Could trade for someone, though again that doesn't seem likely given the need to spend on pitching.