• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ David Fletcher has no answers for uneven performance this season

AngelsWin.com

ANAHEIM — The rollercoaster ride is almost over for David Fletcher.

The Angels’ second baseman has gone through a wild season, in which he started slowly, got sizzling hot in the middle and is now finishing with another prolonged slump.

Don’t ask him for an explanation, though.

“Every season is going to have ups and downs,” Fletcher said on Wednesday. “Probably more ups and downs for me this year, but I haven’t really changed much throughout the year.”

Fletcher hit .250 with a .546 OPS through his first 37 games, then he missed three games with a minor hip issue. After he returned, he hit .354 with an .851 OPS over his next 59 games, including a 26-game hitting streak.

Over his last 50 games, though, he hit .196 with a .470 OPS.

Despite the numbers, Fletcher said that “lately I feel pretty good, just grinding out the rest of the season.”

Fletcher, who is in the first year of a five-year, $26 million deal he signed on Opening Day, still got an endorsement from Manager Joe Maddon.

Maddon, who gave Fletcher a day off on Wednesday, pointed out that Fletcher has hit some balls hard without getting hits lately.

“Overall, probably not as lucky as he had been maybe a little bit earlier,” Maddon said. “They were pitching him a certain way and playing him a certain way, and it was working, but he’ll figure it out. I have a lot of faith in this guy.”

Maddon also has said at every opportunity that Fletcher’s defense at second has been the best in baseball, and that has made up for some of what’s happened at the plate.

“I don’t just look at the game as it comes to just hitting only, especially when you’ve got a guy like that that could save you runs and make plays,” Maddon said. “And he’s still gonna come up with a lot of big hits for us. So I don’t see it the same way. I know the numbers aren’t what they’re supposed to be, but this guy’s winning baseball player.”

UP NEXT FOR OHTANI

Shohei Ohtani is scheduled to start on Sunday, which is the Angels’ final home game of the season.

It will be exactly a week since his previous outing, an eight-inning performance against the Oakland A’s. Ohtani (9-2) is trying to get to 10 victories and also to finish the season healthy.

Sunday will be his 23rd start, and he could conceivably make one more on the final day of the season, Oct. 3 in Seattle. Whether Ohtani makes one or two more starts on the mound, Maddon said he expects him to hit every day.

“If he’s feeling it, he’ll hit,” Maddon said. “We’re not going to hold him back because we’re worried about anything right now.”

NOTES

Left-hander Reid Detmers threw 53 pitches in a three-inning simulated game on Wednesday. If he has no issues in the coming days, he could rejoin the rotation. Detmers, who has missed more than a month on the COVID list, likely would only be stretched out to pitch a few innings. …

Right-hander Dylan Bundy, who was said to be out for the season after he had to cut a simulated game short last week, threw a two-inning simulated game on Wednesday, so Maddon said there’s still a chance he pitches for the Angels again. …

José Suarez will start for the Angels on Friday, and they’re undecided for Saturday, but it could be Jaime Barria.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Alex Cobb, 8-3, 3.59 ERA) vs. Astros (RHP Lance McCullers Jr., 12-4, 3.11), Thursday, 6:38 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

15 minutes ago, AngelsWin.com said:

Right-hander Dylan Bundy, who was said to be out for the season after he had to cut a simulated game short last week, threw a two-inning simulated game on Wednesday, so Maddon said there’s still a chance he pitches for the Angels again. …

Lol.  Maddon right on top of things once again.