• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who should the Angels #1 starting pitcher free agent target be?

mmc

Who should our #1 target in free agency be?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who should our #1 target in free agency be?

• Max Scherzer
    • Clayton Kershaw
    • Zack Greinke
    • Noah Syndergaard
    • Robbie Ray
    • Kevin Gausman
    • Marcus Stroman
    • Carlos Rodon
    • Other

At some point, with Trout, you have to push all of your chips in.  They have pushed chips in, but never all of their chips.  What does this look like?  Hopefully just spending money and getting the very best you can in any given year.  So I would pick Scherzer.  I would much prefer that, than trading a guy like Detmers for someone in his prime like Castillo or Marquez.  If they did that the only reason would literally be to save a few bucks.  Scherzer also won’t have draft pick compensation attached to him because he was traded mid season.  It will probably cost something along the lines of what Bauer got.  

16 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Last 4 starts 6er in 24 inn.Sometimes 1 back outing can kill era

That is a good point.

Looks like he might have had a brief IL stint that possibly affected him from late July through late August (16.1 innings in 5 games, 13 ERs).

His ERA for the season outside of that one month period is 2.80.

Plus, as you mentioned, strong September so far 

I put Stroman, because I feel he's the 'safest' of the group. 

But not gonna lie, Max Scherzer really, really sounds good, even if there's all this concern about money, age, etc. I just had to work on a Scherzer article and the more I researched him, the more I wanted him on the Angels next year.

On 9/23/2021 at 11:29 AM, Stradling said:

At some point, with Trout, you have to push all of your chips in.  They have pushed chips in, but never all of their chips.  What does this look like?  Hopefully just spending money and getting the very best you can in any given year.  So I would pick Scherzer.  I would much prefer that, than trading a guy like Detmers for someone in his prime like Castillo or Marquez.  If they did that the only reason would literally be to save a few bucks.  Scherzer also won’t have draft pick compensation attached to him because he was traded mid season.  It will probably cost something along the lines of what Bauer got.  

Wouldn’t pushing all your chips in be signing Scherzer AND trading for a Castillo or Marquez?

Do both.  Have the sack to actually go get what you need.

On 9/24/2021 at 11:44 AM, ScottandtheKid said:

Not on the list and not my first choice, but how about signing Kikuchi if the Mariners don't pick up his option (which it looks like they won't)? He was an All-Star mid-season and reuniting him with Ohtani may help him get the magic back.

Welcome to the board.  The Angels really need to acquire high probability arms.  Unless Minasian sees something in the advanced measurables, like he did with Cobb last year, pinning hopes on his comfort zone with a certain teammate doesn't seem like a good strategy for pitching selections.  They have enough question mark arms as it is.

18 minutes ago, Stax said:

What top of rotation arm would want to come to a .500 team? They all want a ring and a .500 team cannot offer that. The Angels tried numerous times in the past and lost out to teams with winning records. Artie needs to change his mind set or sell the team.

Ones that believe they can get the team over the hump.